• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are black pants such a no-no?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why others hate black, because I still think there is a place for black pants. My personal take is that black pants are too easy. That is, it's such a no brainer to wear black pants. We enjoy a little challenge of matching/contrasting stuff.

Also, unlike the gray flannel, black overpowers a lot of other colors instead of complimenting them.

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're going to do black, then you really have to go all the way. Black turtleneck, black pants ala Sprockets.

If not then I wouldn't. They're boring, make people think of waiters and don't really look that good.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maxnharry
If you're going to do black, then you really have to go all the way. Black turtleneck, black pants ala Sprockets.

If not then I wouldn't. They're boring, make people think of waiters and don't really look that good.

They make SF regulars think waiters.... while I personally avoid it... black is a common dress color and no, most of the world doesn't think "waiter" when they see someone wearing black.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
They make SF regulars think waiters.... while I personally avoid it... black is a common dress color and no, most of the world doesn't think "waiter" when they see someone wearing black.

I went in a tuxedo 3pc to a dress-up party, and a few people thought I came as a waiter, the others thought I was James Bond, I told them this is how I always dress for dinner.

jcriswel

Reaction score
I enjoy wearing black trousers as they work with a variety of shirts and jackets. I can see that black suits do no compliment men well; however I give an exception to black trousers. They have a place in a man's wardrobe and look quite smart when paired with the appropriate shirt or jacket/shirt/tie combination.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I enjoy wearing black trousers as they work with a variety of shirts and jackets. I can see that black suits do no compliment men well; however I give an exception to black trousers. They have a place in a man's wardrobe and look quite smart when paired with the appropriate shirt or jacket/shirt/tie combination.

I think the problem with black isn't that it is waiter-like or unattractive. The problem is that it is difficult to match with other colors aside from itself, gray and white. Does it look good with blue, red, pink, and green? I'm not sure. It looks odd with earth tones and pastels. It definately doesn't work with brown. I also think it can look funny when paired with items of texture and pattern. Can you wear black pants with a tweed jacket? Can you wear black pants with any kind of brown shoe?

pred02

Reaction score
Does it look good with blue, red, pink, and green?

I think that black looks good with light pink and also light blue. Black is easy to match to almost any color.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pred02
I think that black looks good with light pink and also light blue. Black is easy to match to almost any color.

I don't wear black pants often, but I have a pair in the rotation. I'll often wear them with a brighter blue shirt, lighter grays (as long as there is sufficient contrast), or a cornflower blue sweater, something along those lines.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Can you wear black pants with a tweed jacket? Can you wear black pants with any kind of brown shoe?

Maybe to the former (depends on the colors in the jacket). Definitely no to the latter, IMHO.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black pants can go with a black turtleneck, pointy shoes, and a black velvet sport. Or perhaps a red suede or deep green suede sport coat. My point being that it is best in less than standard contexts. High contrast is key.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads