• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why are black pants such a no-no?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
I don't know why others hate black, because I still think there is a place for black pants. My personal take is that black pants are too easy. That is, it's such a no brainer to wear black pants. We enjoy a little challenge of matching/contrasting stuff.

Also, unlike the gray flannel, black overpowers a lot of other colors instead of complimenting them.
 

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
1,403
Reaction score
15
If you're going to do black, then you really have to go all the way. Black turtleneck, black pants ala Sprockets.

If not then I wouldn't. They're boring, make people think of waiters and don't really look that good.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by maxnharry
If you're going to do black, then you really have to go all the way. Black turtleneck, black pants ala Sprockets.

If not then I wouldn't. They're boring, make people think of waiters and don't really look that good.


They make SF regulars think waiters.... while I personally avoid it... black is a common dress color and no, most of the world doesn't think "waiter" when they see someone wearing black.
 

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2008
Messages
1,845
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
They make SF regulars think waiters.... while I personally avoid it... black is a common dress color and no, most of the world doesn't think "waiter" when they see someone wearing black.

I went in a tuxedo 3pc to a dress-up party, and a few people thought I came as a waiter, the others thought I was James Bond, I told them this is how I always dress for dinner.
 

jcriswel

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
484
Reaction score
2
I enjoy wearing black trousers as they work with a variety of shirts and jackets. I can see that black suits do no compliment men well; however I give an exception to black trousers. They have a place in a man's wardrobe and look quite smart when paired with the appropriate shirt or jacket/shirt/tie combination.
 

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
13
Originally Posted by jcriswel
I enjoy wearing black trousers as they work with a variety of shirts and jackets. I can see that black suits do no compliment men well; however I give an exception to black trousers. They have a place in a man's wardrobe and look quite smart when paired with the appropriate shirt or jacket/shirt/tie combination.

I think the problem with black isn't that it is waiter-like or unattractive. The problem is that it is difficult to match with other colors aside from itself, gray and white. Does it look good with blue, red, pink, and green? I'm not sure. It looks odd with earth tones and pastels. It definately doesn't work with brown. I also think it can look funny when paired with items of texture and pattern. Can you wear black pants with a tweed jacket? Can you wear black pants with any kind of brown shoe?
 

pred02

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Messages
245
Reaction score
0
Does it look good with blue, red, pink, and green?
I think that black looks good with light pink and also light blue. Black is easy to match to almost any color.
 

phillyesq

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2008
Messages
486
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by pred02
I think that black looks good with light pink and also light blue. Black is easy to match to almost any color.

I don't wear black pants often, but I have a pair in the rotation. I'll often wear them with a brighter blue shirt, lighter grays (as long as there is sufficient contrast), or a cornflower blue sweater, something along those lines.
 

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
4,305
Reaction score
1,618
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Can you wear black pants with a tweed jacket? Can you wear black pants with any kind of brown shoe?

Maybe to the former (depends on the colors in the jacket). Definitely no to the latter, IMHO.
 

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2006
Messages
1,214
Reaction score
13
Black pants can go with a black turtleneck, pointy shoes, and a black velvet sport. Or perhaps a red suede or deep green suede sport coat. My point being that it is best in less than standard contexts. High contrast is key.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,047
Messages
9,228,278
Members
193,703
Latest member
Mickey94
Top