• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are Allen Edmonds shoes so uncomfortable

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am addressing the nutjobs who insist leather soles are MORE comfortable than slippers and sneakers.

• Median income was $60k
  • The most common salary was $40k
  • The bottom quartile earns under $40k
  • Only 20% made over 100k
  • Only 2% made over $1mm a year.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont see anyone doing that here, so kinda feels like you are tilting at windmills.

You can post those statistics all you want.
A) They appear to be self reported and more then a decade old.
B) As I have pointed out earlier, income is not a full picture of consumer spending power.
C) I was referring to your snow on alden hypothetical. I just find it odd to snipe at the forum for being fake rich while describing a situation that costs more than rhe annual salary you claim to be most common here.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your feet hurt, your feet don't fit the shoes. Could possibly be the shoe brand or shoe itself, but if it happens for many different brands you probably need to consider that your feet are the issue. I've been warned that just because some shoes feel comfortable (e.g. sneakers) that doesn't necessarily mean they have the appropriate structural support for your feet (much like how an extremely soft, comfortable mattress isn't indicative that it's the best for your back/body).

You can always go to a podiatrist and get a professional opinion.

While that's not necessarily how I fixed my foot pain (I ordered bespoke, learned the shoemaker could accommodate a custom insole, went to a podiatrist to obtain a custom insole for my feet), I think it's a sensible starting point to understand the problem. Potentially an insole and a slightly larger shoe could fix the issue. Or maybe you can save up for bespoke.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again interesting the way this thread have evolved, but don't forget the OP needs to make a decision :D

Cf2.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a confession to make. It's true. I tried to deny it, but the reality is that I cannot:

I wear leather shoes because I like to pretend it's the 19th century, and because they make my feet look pretty and dainty.

I feel pretty, oh so pretty!... I feel pretty, and witty, and gaaaaayyy...

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, you can go for the full cognac shell and order something like this, I guarantee you will look good OP, and the F last is very forgiving so they will fit you. this pic is when they were new but they still look good. Oh so pretty

Sorry guys, this thread needed pictures, some kind of incentive for the OP :-D

Cognac1.jpg
Cognac2.jpg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As further incentive for the OP, this is what your feet look like in leather shoes:

694d76746f6a9debbf174d0a90cb065d.jpg

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Wearing a pair of Allen Edmonds Cornwallis while hanging around the house on a rainy Saturday. So much more comfortable than slippers.

5FF8B18F-6C69-4179-82AC-340CA33A6141.jpeg

ronscuba

Reaction score
If your feet hurt, your feet don't fit the shoes. Could possibly be the shoe brand or shoe itself, but if it happens for many different brands you probably need to consider that your feet are the issue. I've been warned that just because some shoes feel comfortable (e.g. sneakers) that doesn't necessarily mean they have the appropriate structural support for your feet (much like how an extremely soft, comfortable mattress isn't indicative that it's the best for your back/body).

You can always go to a podiatrist and get a professional opinion.

While that's not necessarily how I fixed my foot pain (I ordered bespoke, learned the shoemaker could accommodate a custom insole, went to a podiatrist to obtain a custom insole for my feet), I think it's a sensible starting point to understand the problem. Potentially an insole and a slightly larger shoe could fix the issue. Or maybe you can save up for bespoke.
Support and cushion are 2 different things. I agree, feet need some kind of support. But shock absorbing cushion is helpful if you are walking on hard surfaces for long periods.

Like you said, you can add insoles for support, cushion or both. It is not just about appearances. We have different types of shoes for different activities. Sitting on the couch watching football, it doesn't matter what you wear. Going for a 5 mile run ? What are you going to wear ?

I think some of the issues the OP was having with AE vs. Cole Haan is due to stiffer leather in the upper, stiffer outer soles and cushion insoles. AE typically has leather uppers, insoles, outer soles, which are stiffer and less cushioned than CH materials. My CH shoes have thin leather or faux leather uppers, plastic surrounds the lower section of the upper connecting it to the soft cushioned sole and there is a soft cushioned insole.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also be curious to find out what OP's arches are like. For those who are used to being barefoot or having minimal support, dress shoes without insoles won't cause problems if they're sized correctly.

Most people these days grew up wearing sneakers all the time, and that can contribute to flat feet and pain unless there's proper arch support. If your feet hurt in flat sandals, for example, there are likely postural and arch issues at play.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads