• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why are Allen Edmonds shoes so uncomfortable

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you want to do the price breakdown that way, then yea. For my tailor though, the pants of a suit are almost an afterthought, and he just charges $300 + fabric beyond the cost of the jacket. It only takes him 4 hours for him to make a pair of pants by himself after your pattern is established, so $75/hr for his skills is fair. $250/hr though is a funny joke that Satoria Atelier House of Greaves, Huntsdude & Pamela Anderson and Sheepshead is playing on igents.

A major difference is that a US tailor is based in the US, whereas a traveling tailor has to pay for flights and hotels and the time to travel. It's a completely different business model. If you fly to San Francisco from Naples or London, you may only get a couple of orders. You are also committed to fly back for fittings.

The US tailors I know who charge $350 for pants are basically just working out of their home. They may also work for a firm, who then charges much more, because that firm has rent and other employees to pay. You need a place to conduct fittings, etc.

This is also CMT price, and fabric can add another $150-200 depending on the fabric.

This is how you wind up at $1,000+

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want to do the price breakdown that way, then yea. For my tailor though, the pants of a suit are almost an afterthought, and he just charges $300 + fabric beyond the cost of the jacket. It only takes him 4 hours for him to make a pair of pants by himself after your pattern is established, so $75/hr for his skills is fair. $250/hr though is a funny joke that Satoria Atelier House of Greaves, Huntsdude & Pamela Anderson and Sheepshead is playing on igents.

Sure, but then you're simply paying more for the jacket, which causes people to balk again. In either case, everyone wants to get a better deal.

And why not? Who doesn't want to experience quality and make it affordable simultaneously? But the reality is that many lower-priced tailoring houses are not the same, or cut corners with MTM or machine-stitching as much as possible.

That's not to say good ones don't exist. But even what you just quoted is already over what a lot of people want to spend. So the point is that these things do carry some cost - they just don't scale with price.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP must be scratching his head at this point. Go get the AE's,I have 3 pairs and they are comfortable. Style is too complicated, just go get a pair of Strand in your true size and you will be happy after a few days.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thread title is semi combative - was sure to attract the worst of us combative jerks!! (This is self depreciation, not a judgment on anyone here).

OP did buy some AEs and apparently hates them.

Apparently will go back to Cole Haans.

I would not generally go so far as to say that leather shoes are as or more comfortable than say Nikes.

I will say in general i prefer leather shoes.

I like wearing a thin sock and not feeling my foot is wrapped up too tight.

I like looking put together.

I like buying made to last products that are made by artisans and not in sweatshops.

I like buying products that can be repaired for decades instead of being landfill fodder.

On another note I was in Kyoto in Nov 19, when travel was still allowed. My longest walking day was about 18 miles. Did it all in Conistons and my feet felt great. Maybe in 30 years my feet won't be able to take it, but for now they feel great to me.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thread title is semi combative - was sure to attract the worst of us combative jerks!! (This is self depreciation, not a judgment on anyone here).

I would not generally go so far as to say that leather shoes are as or more comfortable than say Nikes.

I like buying made to last products that are made by artisans and not in sweatshops.

I like buying products that can be repaired for decades instead of being landfill fodder.

On another note I was in Kyoto in Nov 19, when travel was still allowed. My longest walking day was about 18 miles. Did it all in Conistons and my feet felt great. Maybe in 30 years my feet won't be able to take it, but for now they feel great to me.

All capital offenses in the new Styleforum, I'm afraid.

Especially if you actually do repair clothes and reuse them. People might think you're looking down on them. :rotflmao:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have size 9D feet and wear an 8.5 in Nikes. I wear my size 8.5 Nikes inside my size 15 Allen Edmonds. Viola. Comfort and style.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have size 9D feet and wear an 8.5 in Nikes. I wear my size 8.5 Nikes inside my size 15 Allen Edmonds. Viola. Comfort and style.

Well my shoe size is 12 US, so to pull off this power play I'd have to scare up some size 20 AEs! Rough business.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's odd. I thought it was supposed to be the opposite. I wear 8D and 9 in my Saucony running shoes or any sneaker.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Traditional shoes are never going to be as comfortable as sneakers, but this forum also isn't called ComfortForum. Presumably, people here are also interested in how they look.

No, that is precisely what the idiots here claim. That leather dress shoes are MORE COMFY COMFY than shearling padded slippers. They are mentally deranged comedy gold.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that you're the only one associating class with any of this - worse yet, thinking that being rich has anything to do with it.

Most people here are making intern salaries. See my non-scientific survery in my sig. People with real careers don't spend hours online obsessing over belts. They are busy actually making money as opposed to pretending to look rich Pee Wee Hermans.

• Median income was $60k
  • The most common salary was $40k
  • The bottom quartile earns under $40k
  • Only 20% made over 100k
  • Only 2% made over $1mm a year.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most people here are making intern salaries. See my non-scientific survery in my sig. People with real careers don't spend hours online obsessing over belts. They are busy actually making money as opposed to pretending to look rich Pee Wee Hermans.

• Median income was $60k
  • The most common salary was $40k
  • The bottom quartile earns under $40k
  • Only 20% made over 100k
  • Only 2% made over $1mm a year.
If accurate, that's a very significant and telling info. I'm guessing a person that earns $40k a year will not but a $500+ pair of shoes unless said individual is living with his parents and have no other expenses.

Another twist to this crazy thread.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If accurate, that's a very significant and telling info.

You have a join date of 2010. I'm sure you remember when Rev posted that survey. The whole thread was derided and full of jokes. People obviously didn't respond sincerely.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If accurate, that's a very significant and telling info.

When I posted my results, it broke the minds of this forum. So much for castles and helicopters. Even the mods contacted me since it jeopardized their marketing demographic advertising profiles. Made sure to discredit the survey. LOL, the disclaimer speaks for itself, but the haters were seething with rage that I exposed this place for the fraud it is. Nothing but a bunch of creepy fetish wackos buying used bespoke underwear and sweaty shoes. Disgusting. Moot point now, as this place has been a ghost town since 2013.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never assume self reported income on a forum with built in flexing would be accurate.

Though if 20% were making 100k 11 years ago, that would be more than double the amount of Americans making that much now; not factoring inflation.

There are obviously people of all income levels on here. There are people posting watches worth more than some peoples salaries. And people posting in thrifting threads that look quite stylish.

Income is also... not representative of buying power. 150k for a single man with no kids in like..idk...Tulsa is a lot of buying power. For a guy wirh kids in LA, SF, NY - probably can't go out buying crazy stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads