• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Why Are Alden Large Size Boots So Hard to Find?

Lawman

Reaction score
In an attempt to salve the frustration I felt following the great Edward Green Sale Disappointment of 2008, I decided to buy a nice pair of dress boots. My first choice was a nice pair of Aldens in shell, preferably wingtips. I went to Alden of Carmel, and they had absolutely no size 12.5 or 13 Alden boots in stock. They are available in these sizes only by special order. Nothing at Leather Soul; nothing of interest at Sherman Bros. or the Shoe Mart. I looked pretty damned hard, and ultimately gave up, opting for a nice pair of brogued Tricker's. Why do the British makers have RTW/in-stock boots in just about all sizings while Alden does not? Those wingtips in shell that appeared in a post earlier today make me drool, but alas, I cannot find any and don't have the patience to wait for a special order to be processed.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a size 11.5/12, I understand the frustration.
The Alden retailers who order those boots do not have many large footed customers, so they end up not selling well. I think even Tom of Leather Soul claimed somewhere that he hadn't had anyone over the size of 11 in his shop for months.

Jmca1

Reaction score
I also feel your pain (11.5e/ 12d) I ordered the one pair of Ultimate indys from Leather Soul in a 12D. I dont know how they are going to fit, but thats because I can't find any Alden's to try on in my size anywhere.

Good luck, i'll let you know how they fit and if it's worth scouring the globe for!

James

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's strange, I have 3 pairs of Alden SC boots, depending on last sizes 12-12.5, and didn't have any trouble finding them using the stores named (although my chukkas came during the Teamshoeseaport frenzy last year).

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I would imagine Alden's target market consists of mostly smaller than American average

A memorable moment that I remembered during my last visit to the Alden Store in New York was a Japanese man handing a piece of paper over to the salesman requesting a cordovan blucher in 7.5D. I knew Alden was popular in Japan, but I didn't think they would travel halfway around the world for a pair...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40