• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why am i being accused of racism

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
my god, where do you live?

Baltimore.

Stitch, you can't make Jew jokes here in Atlanta or GA...just sayin.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
quit hijacking my thread on faux-racist/biggoted remarks that just highlight the true over-PC nature of your fellow conversationalists. make your own if you want to debate the merits or acceptability of jewish jokes, I have no tolerance for intolerance !

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can crack a Jew joke anywhere you want in Texas without much fear of repercussion*. Black/Brown/Red jokes are reserved for when people of said color aren't present. *With the exception of a very civilized event or area.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

as noted i live in the **** stain known as baltimore.

maybe its the place im not sure. but upon reflection, a lot of these comments were made at work by customers. i have worked retail with upper-middle, middle, lower, and ghetto classes of people.

it is not uncommon for them to make a remark about the price of an item and say some snide comment about jews and money. they also seem to expect the jewish person they are talking to to be ok with it, as if saying hey its true so i can say that right? i dont know why that is but it just is.

i am however glad to hear from some of the above posters that in others areas that doesnt fly. good to know there is some class in others areas of america.

and shah, sorry bout the derailment but i think your op was answered. you are being accused of racism because the moron you were talking to doesnt know what the word niggardly means.
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
well my life has been cossetted in a certain type of enviornment, but take a university campus for example. These are at the very least very anti-Israel enviornements and also, i would say, places where anti-semitism is not absent. However, jew jokes are absolutley unacceptable. you can make all the straight-faced critiques of israeli policy you want, the more outrageous the better, but if you say anything about jews and money, off to sensetivity training you go.

this is not strictly enforced against the black and brown, to be sure.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shibbel
IIRC there was a white guy who worked for the mayor of DC and was fired for using "niggardly".

Yup, from Wikipedia:

David Howard incident

On January 15, 1999, David Howard, a white aide to Anthony A. Williams, the black mayor of Washington, D.C., used the word in reference to a budget. This apparently upset one of his black colleagues (identified by Howard as Marshall Brown), who interpreted it as a racial slur and lodged a complaint. As a result, on January 25 Howard tendered his resignation, and Williams accepted it.[1] However, after pressure from the gay community (of which Howard was a member) an internal review into the matter was brought about, and the mayor offered Howard the chance to return to his position as Office of the Public Advocate on February 4. Howard refused but accepted another position with the mayor instead, insisting that he did not feel victimized by the incident. On the contrary, Howard felt that he had learned from the situation. "I used to think it would be great if we could all be colorblind. That's naïve, especially for a white person, because a white person can't afford to be colorblind. They don't have to think about race every day. An African American does."[1]

It has been speculated that this incident inspired Philip Roth's novel The Human Stain.[2]
[edit] Public response

The Howard incident led to a national debate in the U.S., in the context of racial sensitivity and political correctness, on whether use of niggardly should be avoided. Some observers noted however that the "national debate" was made up almost entirely of commentators defending use of the word. As James Poniewozik wrote in Salon, the controversy was "an issue that opinion-makers right, left and center could universally agree on." He wrote that "the defenders of the dictionary" were "legion, and still queued up six abreast."[3] Julian Bond, then chairman of the NAACP, deplored the offense that had been taken at Howard's use of the word. "You hate to think you have to censor your language to meet other people's lack of understanding", he said. "David Howard should not have quit. Mayor Williams should bring him back "” and order dictionaries issued to all staff who need them."[4]

Bond also said, "Seems to me the mayor has been niggardly in his judgment on the issue" and as a nation we have a "hair-trigger sensibility" on race that can be tripped by both real and false grievances.[5]

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Nvm

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shahanshah
I asked for kaffir lime at the supermarket and the Iraqi lady in produce section called her husband over claiming I accused her of being an infidel, do i have an accent ?
frown.gif

Just be sure to not ask a black South African for kaffir lime. You may end up in a fight.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
i was accused of posting racist propaganda after sharing this (which I plagiarized from CE)
obama-steveurkel.jpg

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by in stitches
well as a jew, it has been my experience, (with many diferent classes of people, jewish and gentile alike) that people dont have any problem cracking jewish jokes/snide comments. even around people they know to be jewish, and im not talking about hangin with buddies. im not complaining, this has just been my personal experience.

I tend to crack a good many Jew jokes and everyone laughs. As soon as I crack a black joke, the whole world starts coming undone.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sha, you didn't do this at work did you?
eh.gif

bijox

Reaction score
send the man some watermelon to make up for your tasteless remarks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
me and my friends are watching this thread crosery!
mileycyrus.jpg

bijox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidboy
me and my friends are watching this thread crosery!

mileycyrus.jpg

haha, i truly wonder if asians find that pic offensive or funny.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads