Why all the hate for wholecuts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Caustic Man, Mar 25, 2015.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Sure - here you go:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Oh yeah, something like that. Maybe a bit darker. It seems to me that shell is best served in a simple design.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

My sentiments exactly.

4. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I won't pursue this, but just a few remarks in passing...

Again, I'm no expert I don't even live in the UK (sounds like you may) . For me it is all part of my family history and an occasional divertissement (although with a very serious undertone).

That said, tartan hose was worn at very formal occasions--white tie--well into the 1920's and beyond

And while the trend has been to white hose (looks like underwear, IMO) or solid coloured hose to downplay the authenticity of Highland wear (AFAIK, white hose, even solid coloured hose...apart from military khaki...was virtually unknown in Scottish history until the advent of the rental shops) even if you are living in Scotland, tartan hose still makes its appearance on other than pipers.

[​IMG]

So it's not unknown.

And again, thanks for your complimentary remarks.

edited for punctuation and clarity

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015

5. The Saint

The Saint Senior member

Your comments about the white hose , made me laugh , quite a valid point nevertheless .

The Highland dress has been worn in various ways in more recent years and in some cases in a disrespectful way . Go to any major function /get-together and there will be people in the Highland garb (per their interpretation or what that particular hire shop had) . It has become almost banal to some extent .

Maybe I should get some of those tartan hose . Certainly yours compliment the outfit better than those worn by the chap in the picture above who looks like a proper Charlie , but that might have nothing to do with the clothes he is wearing. .

Anyway , may you continue to get enjoyment from your Highland Dress and your mutton chops go well with the attire too , I reckon. .

6. DWFII

May I ask where you live? Are you Scots? Sounds like you wear a kilt on occasion.

The kilt I'm wearing is a MacSween, Black, designed for me as a variation of the MacQueen and registered with the STA (7903). The castellated hose was made for me by my wife and contains the red and black of the MacQueen tartan with yellow rakers.

Interestingly enough (for some, perhaps), some time after the Black MacSween was designed and registered as a personal sett, I got an email from one Angus MacSween in Scotland. Seems like his son was getting married and he wanted his first ( and from what I understand, his lifelong) kilt, but didn't want the bright colours of the MacQueen. Angus was contacting me because the MacSween was registered as 'personal." And he needed my permission to have a bolt of the wool woven. Well, I contacted the STA and told them that it should be made public and anyone wanting permission automatically had it....from me at least.

I also told them that I preferred the GĂ idhlig spelling...

As far as I know it all turned out well (the STA assured me that they would abide by my wishes,) but they still have it listed as personal. And they never changed the name. I dunno.

tioraidh

edited for punctuation and clarity

7. Caustic Man

8. DWFII

Yeah...it's gotten a bit out of hand. Sorry about that. I keep telling myself "this will be my last post about this"....

As for how it got started...probably because according to Wikipedia the oxford seems to have originated in Scotland and/or Ireland. And then when I responded to JubaiSpiegal about "sartorial rules," I had the Scottish connection in my head and went off on a tangent about my own druthers with regard to formal or non-formal. And from there...well, I'm not loathe to follow a conversation anywhere it wants to go.

My fault entirely.:blush:

9. Caustic Man

Don't apologize. I was just making an irreverent comment that was supposed to come off as mildly humorous, but apparently didn't. lol

10. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

I, too, remember when they were pretty hot here. The meta at SF does change though, whether it be on the SW&D or CM side. Long story short, whole cut shoes aren't considered classic, nor have they ever been, although they are the most beautiful shoes I have ever seen (especially the ones with elongated toes). There was a good point in the other thread the OP referred to: when you think about it, one-piece or minimal pieced boots seem to fit the theme best (of course, nothing at all wrong with shoes though).

Off topic: OP, if you wish to joke or use sarcasm on the Internet, you should use emojis in your message

11. Caustic Man

12. clotheshorse69

clotheshorse69 Senior member

Those are pretty nice, especially the antiquing/color. Not digging those ghastly Goodyear protruding sides though.

13. Caustic Man

Yeah, I hear you on that one. It's something I notice sometimes but it isn't enough of a concern to keep me from buying a pair I otherwise like.

14. DWFII

Ahem...your avatar functions as a super-smilie. He doesn't look amused. :lol:

15. Caustic Man

Well no one would be afraid of a bird with a smile!