1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Why All the Hate for Hats?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AshtonMD, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

Only if you look like the Simpson's "Comic Book Guy" and live in mommy and daddy's basement.

2. suitedcboy

suitedcboy Senior Member

A hipster hat on a hipster only works for the hipster look for sure. I have seen some guys in a blank nice T, jeans, boots, leather jacket and a quality beaver fedora with wider brim that were the epitome of cool and class and were getting huge respect from those around. I'm not referring to a Johnny Depp copy, though his outfit is usually a lot more scruffy as is the hat he will wear.

3. pacnyc

pacnyc Well-Known Member

Just picking a random photo from an advertisement—the only thing that might be mildly hipster is the mustache. Otherwise, this is a classic look, and very practical too. It’s strange to me to think this would be considered overdone anywhere, but it’s certainly fine here in New York. Oh well, that’s my opinion anyway.

83C8315A-E69A-468E-A33B-EF29DA58A47E.jpeg

4. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

I think it’s mostly fellas not having the confidence to pull off the look. An interesting phenomenon is people throwing shade at things they see others do, and wish they were brave enough to do.

Hipster has never been a descriptor people have used for me, I wear a hat everyday. I’ve got quite a few (30 or so), and typically change them each day.

5. pacnyc

pacnyc Well-Known Member

I’m shaking my head and laughing. Gee whiz. Does it really take courage to put on a coat and hat for the snow? To me, that’s like worrying if you can “pull off wearing a tie.” Compared to the men in fashion clothes I see around town, I’m a pretty subdued and traditional dresser, and that coat and hat combination looks utterly conventional to me (in the best sense).

I too wear a hat every day, and I think I can state with absolute confidence that nobody ever thought I looked like a hipster!

6. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Distinguished Member

It doesn’t take courage to me. But, that’s me. I’m not sure why so many guys say it to me, but they do. And the same goes for guys wearing ties, most men don’t feel comfortable wearing them. Maybe you just know lots of fashionable guys and it’s normal for your crowd.

In my office there are 22 men. Exactly 2 of us are fashion conscious. The rest all are quite ambivalent about “dressing up”, as they call it. When they ask, as they often do, about my outfit for the day, I don’t laugh at them or shake my head. Instead, I pass on my limited knowledge of where I get my style tips from.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Just don’t think hat looks good on me given my relative large head...

8. BXpress

BXpress Well-Known Member

True enough. I admit that i don't have the confidence to wear a Fedora (not quite yet, but that can change), but i applaud everyone who wears it like it's second nature.

Good for you but I would not quite compare it to wearing a tie. Unless you wear a proper stiff collar shirt (with an ascot maybe), going tieless with a standard dress shirt looks utterly horrible. I see this everyday and it totally devalues the suit. Not wearing a hat doesn't devalue your suit. So in my opinion a tie is very essential, a hat is optional.

9. RogerP

RogerP Distinguished Member

I don't know what hipster means and don't care. I've been wearing hats all of my professional life - fedoras and similar with dress coats, tweed and cashmere flat caps with casual coats. I've received nothing but compliments over the years.

10. Todd Shelton

Todd Shelton Well-Known Member Affiliate Vendor

Two years ago my team and I interviewed Don Rongione, president of America’s oldest hat maker, Bollman Hat Company. We asked him this very question about why Americans stopped wearing hats. Following are some of the reasons Don provided:
    • American men and women routinely wore hats until the 1950s, it was an absolute wardrobe essential. The increase in demand for automobiles in post-World War ll America certainly played a role in diminishing hat wear.
    • Hats provided protection from the elements as people walked long distances to work or to shop. But as automobiles became more essential in 1950s suburban living, people began walking less and spending more time in the protection of their cars.
    • Then, as cars got smaller and car ceilings became lower, it was difficult and inconvenient for men to wear a hat in the car.
    • Some cite President John F. Kennedy’s 1961 inauguration ceremony as a turning point in hat wearing. President Kennedy was the first president to not wear a hat during a presidential inauguration.
    • Hollywood also has a major impact on hat trends. The John Travolta film Urban Cowboy created massive demand for ‘urban cowboy’ style hats. Cowboy hat sales more than tripled in the early 80s with the movie’s wide-spread popularity.
    You can read our interview with Don Rongione here:
    https://toddshelton.com/blog/made-in-america/don-rongione-american-manufacturings-constant-supporter

11. MrRussian

MrRussian Member

I am 25 years old, and I've been wearing hats for about 3 years, before that I didn't have enough confidence. Attitude is everything

Do people hate them? Not quite. Usually, no matter where your are, if your are wearing hat, probably you'll be the only one who wears it, so everyone will look you and probably criticize "because u're wearing a fucking Hat OMG"
    I don't care about what other people says about me, don't have to prove anything to anyone

Besides, it's good to attract the attention of women on the streets ;)

Some Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

That's how it works. If you dress well, aren't morbidly obese and wearing a cheap trilby, you will likely receive compliments. An entire ensemble of properly fitting, well coordinated, clean-cut and wearing conservative clothing, your social status will almost be automatically elevated.

This is something that only an intelligent, socially responsible, mommy and daddy will tell you. Our society has lapsed into "if you are not bright enough to look at people of the 'professional class' and learn how to dress accordingly" you are on your own.

13. Captain O

Captain O Senior Member

These are sharp looks. This is the way young men need to dress while garnering admiring looks, thus raising their social status.

OUTSTANDING!

14. RobertELee

RobertELee Member

a favorite topic of mine!

I like hats, and i dress for MYSELF, not someone else. i quite often get compliments on my fedoras. i have one from Optimo Hat in Chicago, a GREAT place, and got some quite old ones from a friend, who is now gone. i had them cleaned and re-blocked, and they look great, i have some from Holland Hats. i think i look good in a topcoat, good Edward Green shoes, and a fedora, and that it all that matters to me. up with hats!

bob.

wife does NOT like me to wear them! ha!

15. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Distinguished Member

Last time I visited NYC during winter I was dressed somewhat similar to this. Herringbone Chesterfield overcoat. Black brimmed hat. Burgundy scarf, gloves and shoes. Practical and stylish and got loads of admiring compliments strolling along 34th and up Madison looking at the shops.

JFK actually did wear his top hat at some point during the inauguration ceremony and there are a couple of rare pics floating around but he doffed it while making his speech and strolling up Capitol Hill.

There’s also some film of him the morning of his demise being presented with a western hat after giving a breakfast speech at the Fort Worth Hilton and he shyly accepts it and puts it aside without trying it on in front of the crowd. Sadly he never gets the chance to ‘rock it’ in public at all.