1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Why a bow tie's not just for schmucks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by armaniwang07, May 4, 2010.

1. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

I like the look of bow ties, and have a few. Just got 2 more today actually. What I do not like about them is the attention and comments. I do not where it for the attention of others, but because I like it, and the endless comments makes me not wear them as much as I would like.

2. barims

barims Senior member

I disagree with your premise that an attractive look becomes unattractive simply by becoming ubiquitous. It may render a look common and uninspired, but it'll still look good. On a related note, I bought a Stetson Open Road in Arizona last month. Unoriginal, but not unattractive.

I'll wager that the hat aside, you won't be greatly redolent of LK in aesthetic terms, however, or other wearers like Baron and Truman, for example

See the difference?

3. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I am wearing one today.

The women all have commented that they like it.

The men are all calling me "The Professor," especially those who are seriously challenged in the sartorial department.

I like it and it is the first time I have worn one outside of formal events.

Mike

4. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

They are kinda fun and much easier to tie than most people think. The fact that a lot of young guys are wearing them gives them an all new status IMO.

5. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Bowties are awesome. A lot more comments from girls because of your uniqueness and it's not something absurd like bright purple jeans.

6. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Speaking of Bow Ties where are your favorite places to get bow ties?

7. swaggerisaliability

swaggerisaliability Senior member

Speaking of Bow Ties where are your favorite places to get bow ties?

RL, J. Press, and Alexander Olch has some nice ones. I have two, one by BB and the other by Robert Talbott. Very pleased with both.

8. sarto

sarto Well-Known Member

i only have two bow-ties but i think i'll be wearing them more often. im not sure if im quite comfortable wearing them to work, but going out here in NYC, it's definitely something that i've done before. people always comment on them when i wear them, but i don't mind. it looks and i guess if i were single, i'd probably want to wear them more to generate some conversations. i have one more conservative bow-tie, a vintage one, which is a narrower bat-wing one, that i recently wore with a seersucker suit to my school's graduation. you can definitely get some cool ones at vintage shops. and at my law school ball, i wore a flasher pink tartan plaid one with a double-breasted suit, and one of my girlfriend's friends said that i resembled Chuck Bass (which kinda irritated me lol). this bowtie i got from paul stuart, but i just checked their website and they don't seem to have many in stock on their webstore. i think beauties have some pretty cool ones available. i might get a madras one to be a bit daring this summer. http://www.beautiesltd.com/

9. rgoldstein

rgoldstein Senior member

I've toyed with the idea of picking up a bow tie or two but I have never actually done so. Wearing them in the traditional way can be bold and really interesting if done right, and only if done right. That "tucking your bow under your collar" shit is, to me, right up there with wearing a FIH tie outside your jacket. Just silly.

Untrue. Satan himself wears it well [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some beautiful clothing, however the vest comes up too high for my taste. I probably would have left it out altogether. It seems like you wouldn't be able to wear anything but a bow with it, as the space between the shirt collar and the vest gorge doesn't look to be more than a few inches.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I wear bows about 30% of the time so you can count me in for the schmuck brigade. Then again, I live in South Carolina and wear the TNSIL (i.e. "trad") look so that's probably assumed.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Nice looks!

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Bowties used to be one of my personal pet hates...

Anybody else than a doctor,lawyer or university teacher must not be allowed to wear them...[​IMG]

I now find them great on some Sfers...

12. runner-guy

runner-guy Senior member

Bruce Bowen rocks the tie.

[​IMG]

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Bruce Bowen rocks the tie.

[​IMG]

Trendy young Black guys look great with bowties...

They love it in the USA...

14. btlaxripper

btlaxripper Senior member

Places where bow-ties are more frequent:

-SoHo
    -Southern United States "The South"

If you are a lawyer, doctor... running your own practice/firm where you make the rules, or are VERY VERY successful and people know you are a boss, and not a clown.

I like to wear them at nice parties... not black tie events obviously, but engagements where people are in sport coats, or suit sans tie... I like to break out a bow tie. They're fun and not stuffy when played in the right situation.

So the bow tie battles with itself and its own connotation.

They are fun and lively, but also can be pulled off in a correct professional setting. So it is a territory that must be lightly tread.

15. HHD

HHD Senior member

16. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

[​IMG]

Sporting a bow for Thanksgiving, I've grown very fond of wearing bowties.

I am not a fan of bow ties. In the UK bow ties are for gynaecologists or literary types.

It is also an American thing. Wearing them with button down collars looks odd to me. In your case green does not work with the blue colours. Nothing wrong with the rest of the stuff. It would work with an open neck shirt, or a tie, or a different colour bow tie if you insist.

I would not worry about strong criticism. There will always be some wind up merchant on forums looking to get a rise out of some poster or other.

17. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I am not a fan of bow ties. In the UK bow ties are for gynaecologists or literary types.

It is also an American thing. Wearing them with button down collars looks odd to me. In your case green does not work with the blue colours. Nothing wrong with the rest of the stuff. It would work with an open neck shirt, or a tie, or a different colour bow tie if you insist.

I would not worry about strong criticism. There will always be some wind up merchant on forums looking to get a rise out of some poster or other.

The main problem is not the bowtie but the fit of the jacket and trousers...

They're too baggy and shapeless...

He could look sharper with more fitted clothes on...

1 person likes this.
  18. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I have never seen a person wear a bow tie in a professional setting IRL.

Keep in mind I work in the legal industry (in M&A) and I live in a city were most professionals don't wear ties at all (San Francisco). I suspect the bow tie would work in other part of the country (the deep south) and the world (the UK).

If you wear one on the west coast, though, keep in mind that people will remember you as the dork with the bow tie.

I have never seen a bow tie being worn in Dorking though.

It is just down the road from me.

19. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I have never seen a bow tie being worn in Dorking though.

It is just down the road from me.

I'm with you on that one...

I went recently to London and i haven't seen any bowtie at all...

You might see a bowtie on surgeons and university lecturers...

20. intent

intent Senior member

I hear pediatricians wear bow ties so that young children don't grab onto their neck wear. For a similar reason, many police officers wear a clip-on neck tie so that criminals don't grab onto them and choke them. I wonder if they could just switch to bow ties? [​IMG]