1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Whrere in New York? Some advice for a trip in the Big Apple please!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by S-NMBR, Aug 19, 2011.

1. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Hello,

A quick question to all the expert here.

I'm organising a trip in NY scheduled for october about the end, I think ten days.
    I'ts my first time in USA, after seeing about all the Europe and taste Asia with few trip in Tokyo last year, It's time to make my dream come true.

I please ask some advice for a good place where to stay, I mean the area, but if you have also some suggestion for Hotel (around a 150/200 $ max for a double room) it will be appreciate.
    I'm especially interested in fashion, library, music, bookstore for graphic and design.
    For fashion I means sportswear and casual, I like J.Crew, Engineered Garments, denim in general and so on... Of course I would like to visit the best Dept. Store to see the market mood of the Big Apple.
    Of course few days will be dedicated to see the "must" ... But please, help me: what is mandatory to see?

Thanks to all the friends that will spend some time to guide me.

2. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I can't help you with where to stay, but if you like design I would suggest you visit the Cooper-Hewitt design museum.

3. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Thanks a lot!
    Noted.

4. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

I check some web site... what about to stay in the chelsea area and/or meatpacking?
    I know it will be more expensive than expected on the budget,. but if the area is good and near place of interest I can do it.

Some opinion?

5. changy

changy Senior member

Chelsea/Meat packing is not a great place to stay , its noisy, filled with drunks and pretty inconvenient. Stay some where else and check out the neighborhood

6. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

OK! thanks, I just heard that those places was full of new shops and so on... so you think that those areas are dangerous also during the day... I'm not usual to go out in the evening.... after a day walking up and down on shops, museum and so on, I'm so tired.... ;)

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Chelsea/meatpacking are nice to visit for bars/clubs but probably not for a hotel stay. I tend to stay with friends when I visit so I don't have hotel recommendations. Have you attempted a search? There's usually a discussion about NYC visits every few months.

8. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Thanks Joffrey, now I try a search that's a good idea.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    No area is dangerous - day or night. And you are never that far away from anything. That said, with your interests I would look to stay downtown-ish, say Chelsea/Gramercy and south as far Tribeca. You should be able to find a hotel in your budget in those areas. If not try a short term apt rental.

[​IMG]

lefty

10. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Thanks Lefty, useful info indeed!

I have also made a search in the forum and find few duscussion, I'll going to read it!
    Again thanks really to everybody.

11. changy

changy Senior member

Not really dangerous, just annoying. Depending on the hotel, you might hear a lot of noise at night. If you are trying to go out at night, it's a pain in the ass to find a cab. It's a little far from the subway stop too.

12. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I stayed up in midtown last month, but didn't see anything around there, just ended up spending time with friends downtown and around the LES. If I go again I'll stay down there near Rivington or around Soho. Didn't see any shops or galleries but if I'd stayed closer to downtown I would've been able to.

13. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Thanks guys, your advice are highly appreciate!
    I'm going to fullfill my Field Notes notepad :) with interesting info.

A quetsion: I've read somewhere about "The Indigo" in Chelsea... Anybody knows?

Again Thanks

14. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Here's a great hotel for a great price. I got a room next month for $229.00. The only potential downside is the construction of the Freedom Tower. But frankly, if you're gonna be out and about on the town, it won't make a difference:

http://www.clubquarters.com/loc_WTC.php

Another favorite place of mine to stay is the Cosmopolitan on Chambers St in Tribeca. However their prices jumped up a lot recently. Not sure why.

www.cosmohotel.com/

15. S-NMBR

S-NMBR Senior member

Hi SD1, thanks for the info, I'll going to check it those two options.

16. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

Check out the W hotel or Hudson Hotel. They're trendy and are usually in convenient locations.
    Meatpacking is probably not a great place to stay but definitely explore for good nightlife.
    East village is trendy and hipster if you like that kind of scene and midtown is obviously a hit with tourists since Times Square is there.

Good luck and enjoy NYC!