• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whose got kids???

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of 7FAMs for my 10 year old daughter. Her 1st pair of 'premium denim'. Prior to this it's been H&M, Limited Too, Old Navy & Gap mostly. I don't expect to be spending $80 (on sale at Atrium) on jeans on a regular basis but I was in the store and she was with me shopping and I had her try them on and she loved them. She loved them cuz they "fit me nice" (in her words). Outside the store I asked her if she knew what kind of jeans I just bought her and she said no. I like that. I don't want her to become a fashion whore - but was me buying her those jeans only puching her in that direction?

I'm sure if she wears them to school some of teh older girls may be like "damnnnnnnnnnnn!!" (keep in mind this is public school in the Bronx). So I told her she should only wear them out.

What have I done here? Am I going to create a monster?

PS: I have 2 younger daughters as well, these WILL become hand-me-downs!!

LOL

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ive got a 5 yr old son and a 1 yr old daughter. my son wanted some "jeans like dad", so i found him a pair of 80s white tab levis that he loves. id like to get him some really nice stuff, but he lives with his mom who only buys him gap stuff. ive bought him nice things in the past and she wont let him wear it.

familyman

Reaction score
My oldest is only 4 so she's far from being fashion conscious. Right now she just wants to dress as much like a pricess as she can. She's diggin' on the Tiffany catalog that came in the mail yesterday. Right now she's got it in her lap while watching Sesame Street, cute indeed.
I think you really only need to be careful when kids start asking for certain brands. Then it's time to sit down and talk to them about what clothes mean and how clothes are just clothes. Then they'll ignore you and want the brands anyway but at least you plant the seed. A love of fashion can actually be a pretty cool link between your daughters and you, most parents don't really understand how important clothes can be to kids and if you do then you can have a pretty neat link to them. It's also a great place to introduce concepts of budgeting and money management. Give them a set amount of money to buy school clothes and let them spend it how they will, they'll learn a lot.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheapmutha
ive bought him nice things in the past and she wont let him wear it.

That sucks!!!

I was wondering though -- if I wanna get away from mainstream -- what are some brands to look for when shopping the lil tykes?? Then I guess the next question is where to get 'em??

Don't wanna go broke - jus wanna get some diff stuff.

PS: Rogues Gallery t-shirts were also on sale at Atrium for $19 but they only go up to size 6.

JoMak_NYC

Reaction score
Originally Posted by familyman
My oldest is only 4 so she's far from being fashion conscious. Right now she just wants to dress as much like a pricess as she can. She's diggin' on the Tiffany catalog that came in the mail yesterday. Right now she's got it in her lap while watching Sesame Street, cute indeed.
I think you really only need to be careful when kids start asking for certain brands. Then it's time to sit down and talk to them about what clothes mean and how clothes are just clothes. Then they'll ignore you and want the brands anyway but at least you plant the seed. A love of fashion can actually be a pretty cool link between your daughters and you, most parents don't really understand how important clothes can be to kids and if you do then you can have a pretty neat link to them. It's also a great place to introduce concepts of budgeting and money management. Give them a set amount of money to buy school clothes and let them spend it how they will, they'll learn a lot.

GOOD ANSWER!! GOOD ANSWER!!

familyman

Reaction score
A really fun shopping experience with kids, especially when they're young enough to not be really self aware is thrifting. You can pick up piles of clothes that your kids pick out themselves for just a few bucks. Really loud stripes and wacky patterns and fluffy dresses and shiny shoes and things that are really difficult to coordinate with anything. Then when they dress in those clothes you can help them to match things to make coherent outfits. Or as coherent as you can get. Explain why a red striped shirt and green plaid pants probably don't match. My kids are young enough that I never veto any decisions they make but I can already see my daughter producing coherent outfits on her own and sometimes taking my advice when a certain pair of pants goes better than another. She's 4 and thinking about how to match her shoes to her shirt, it's interesting to watch.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
I was wondering though -- if I wanna get away from mainstream -- what are some brands to look for when shopping the lil tykes?? Then I guess the next question is where to get 'em??
Samurai makes jeans for kids. Nudie does, as well. And Rby45RPM, too.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoMak_NYC
That sucks!!!

Don't wanna go broke - jus wanna get some diff stuff.

PS: Rogues Gallery t-shirts were also on sale at Atrium for $19 but they only go up to size 6.

H&M has some decently different stuff for kids, and of course the price will be right.

afaludi

Reaction score
To reverse this I took my dad shopping for denim the other day, he told me he liked the fit of my denim and he wanted a pair, so i took him to the denim bar and got him his first pair of RRDS. A tear formed in my eye when a life long cheap jean wearing man (no offense cheapmutha) finally came to the light side.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by afaludi
To reverse this I took my dad shopping for denim the other day, he told me he liked the fit of my denim and he wanted a pair, so i took him to the denim bar and got him his first pair of RRDS. A tear formed in my eye when a life long cheap jean wearing man (no offense cheapmutha) finally came to the light side.
well... no offense taken. im cheap, but my denim isnt. well... its cheap but high quality. ****, i dont think ive worn non selvage in months.

faust

Reaction score
I have a 2.5 yr old daughter, and I've bought a few things for her. I like French and Italian brands, such as IKKS, Charabia, Simonetta, etc. They are fun. http://www.ikks.com/ http://www.charabia.com/ http://www.simonetta.it/2006/default.asp The more she grows up the more interesting it'll get. I really hope that I can steer her in the right direction and she doesn't end up like those skanks I see in my neighborhood, straight out of "Thirteen" movie.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my son is 4.5 months old and I don't think I have bought a single piece of clothing for him yet. Everything has been purveyed by birthgifts or his grandmothers so far and there are three drawers full of them.
crazy.gif

!luc

familyman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
my son is 4.5 months old and I don't think I have bought a single piece of clothing for him yet. Everything has been purveyed by birthgifts or his grandmothers so far and there are three drawers full of them.
crazy.gif

!luc

My third one is wearing brand new clothes that were given to us for the first one. We simply had too many baby clothes for her to ever wear. If you have any more kids, just remember, they don't give you as much stuff when you have the next one.
smile.gif

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah... not clothes, but im using alot of the same stuff that i was given or bought for my son with my daughter now. the second one does get less

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads