• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's the US maker on this canvas hat?

ROI

Reaction score
I'm not certain, but Brooks version of that hat (usually the dark khaki and the white with the Guards' stripe band) was made by the same company that makes the Country Gentleman line of hats that is often seen in department stores. Since the days I knew the maker when most of the hats were made in New York, the owner (George Friedman) has retired and the line has been bought by Bollman Hats, which is becoming something of a hat conglomerate. Whether the old truths still prevail, I can't say. Country Gentleman Hats

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Horace
http://www.cablecarclothiers.com/page56.html

Does anyone know? It's the group of hats at the very top.

While that link seems to no longer work if it is made in USA its likely Bollman that makes it. If you are referring to the Bucket hats they offer at 56.00 each on the main hat page, this is a cut and sew hat made in Shangrila and possibly piped thorough Bejing .

I think Bollman makes the Country Gentleman line now if memory serves me right.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your knowledge of hats is certainly impressive. However, what is the point of reviving threads that are so old?

As an aside, do you know the name of an American (I belive Californian) hat company whose logo resembles a coat of arms? They make a wide variety of hats that extend past the felt variety.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Your knowledge of hats is certainly impressive.

It is mostly factual and not sure how impressive.

However, what is the point of reviving threads that are so old?
It is in hopes that some one seeking to know of an possibly American hat maker in California was dying to ask about them, then would have a legal excuse to do so!
devil.gif

As an aside, do you know the name of an American (I belive Californian) hat company whose logo resembles a coat of arms? They make a wide variety of hats that extend past the felt variety.
Hrmm almost prophetic and now you have ask
smile.gif

Coat of Arms and Fleur de lis varient are typical to about every hat company in existance at least on the tip of the hat linner at least is some or all their offerings. Can you possibly be more specific in your knowledge needs I I will gladly try to help you.

Do you refer to Eddie Barron's old establishment now run by his student Mark?

There is a few hat companies in California. Maybe you mean one of the worlds largest distributors Dorfman Pacific?

There is Pauls Hat works in SF Bay area yet no Paul there but Michael Harris is.

There is a hand full of others spread around the west coast as well. Not thinking of the names right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics