• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's seen a bullfight?

Kohan

Reaction score
Hola!

I'm doing research for a project, and wondered if anyone here had been to a real bullfight. If so, where/when/what did you think?

Gracias,

Kohan

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Me. Seville. They get a bad rap.

Kohan

Reaction score
Bad rap how so? I'm looking for a convincing response to the "OMG its sooo cruel and inhumane and mean and stuff!" argument. Damn hippies.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to watch The View, but it got pretty tiring.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Read Death in the Afternoon. We kill animals all the time. So I can't see any argument that says we shouldn't kill animals, unless it comes from a PETA type, who is crazy but at least consistent. That said, if we are going to kill an animal, why not do so in a way that actually honors the animal? A bullfight is a respectful, if stacked, spectacle.

Kohan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by playdohh22
yes, i've watched a pitbull fight in real life. i think it is inhumane, what the owner of these pets do to them. well maybe actually sort of fun to watch...

We're talking about Bullfights, as in 1000-lb bull, pointy horns, guy in elaborate costume with cape and sword(s), etc. No one here is advocating dogfights.

Originally Posted by playdohh22
i've also been bitten by a pitbull before.

That sounds painful. Did you bite back?

I agree that we kill animals all the time-so why not give them a chance to take a person or two with them? 10 minutes on youtube and I have a whole new degree of respect for big, angry beef locomotives with horns (and for the nutjobs who enter the ring with them). I think I'd prefer my chances with the pitbull--at least that can't flip me in the air and impale my torso.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's inhumane, but it's hard to complain. The bull always has a fighting chance, and up untill the arena, a healthy quality of life. I read the meat from the bull usually goes to charity, like orphanages, and the matadors have a huge amount of public pressure on them to donate a lot of their winnings to charity as well.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been to the bullfights in Mexico. It's not all that exciting. The matadors usually have a couple of good moves but then the spectacle gets pretty gory and pointless to boot.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw it in Madrid and Seville... the one in Seville was ****** and just kind of became gross. The guy in Madrid was supposed to be like the Michael Jordan of bull fighters and he ******* raped that bull pretty quickly and gracefully.

Kohan

Reaction score
There's a growing sport of "bloodless bullfighting" that I've found, AKA "Recortes" or "trimming" the bull. The bulls do just fine, though the same can't really be said for the competitors...

^^Thought this was really cool.

Thanks for your responses, los aprecio mucho!

Ten un buen dia,

Kohan

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
I think it's inhumane, but it's hard to complain. The bull always has a fighting chance, and up untill the arena, a healthy quality of life. I read the meat from the bull usually goes to charity, like orphanages, and the matadors have a huge amount of public pressure on them to donate a lot of their winnings to charity as well.

though ido not see a bullfight as inhumane. i find them boring only because the bull never has chance in my opinion. you have the matador and at least 5 helpers with spears and knives. the bull honestly wuls have a fighting chance if it was the bull against one guy with sword but that is not going to happen

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Went to one in Madrid. I'm happy that animal rights groups have started assassinating matadors. Anyone envolved with that endeavor should be killed. Needless to say...left early.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kohan
Hola!

I'm doing research for a project, and wondered if anyone here had been to a real bullfight. If so, where/when/what did you think?

Gracias,

Kohan

I've been to bull fights in Guadalajara, Mexico. They take a little getting used to in the beginning. It is weird to see an animal killed in front of you, but for better or worse, you sort of get used to it.

Originally Posted by grimslade
Read Death in the Afternoon.

We kill animals all the time. So I can't see any argument that says we shouldn't kill animals, unless it comes from a PETA type, who is crazy but at least consistent.

That said, if we are going to kill an animal, why not do so in a way that actually honors the animal? A bullfight is a respectful, if stacked, spectacle.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand it, these bulls as we know it would basically be extinct if it weren't for the 'industry'. There was really no use for them and the only thing to keep them alive is bull fighting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics