Who's making good jean belts these days?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rambo, Aug 10, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Small timer :)

2. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

yea, got the Unlucky 17oz Moser veg tanned w/Damascus steel buckle from "The Joe Hill Belt Project" & [still in the works] an eggplant double horeshide. ounce-for-ounce the best quality leather belt i've handled... of course, i'm not @mikecch's league at all :)

http://dontmournorganize.wordpress.com/

http://s248.photobucket.com/home/unlucky62

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

3. Erenoth

Erenoth Senior member

4. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

I am surprised no one has mentioned the 45rpm leather belt in light brown. I think this is a beautiful belt. I sure didn't pay $155 for it, though, something more like $98, but it was a few years back.

5. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

Cheers IIIrd, I do agree, that Horween horse butt is first class.
    [​IMG]

Those were the prototypes; the finalised version is here:
    http://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2011/02/20/the-joe-hill-belt-project-part-2/

6. PDL24DCP

PDL24DCP Well-Known Member

How does that belt from barsony age at all?? If it ages just like all the other ones that might be the move...

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

Oh, really? I don't make my belts as a business per se, but as a hobby. I spent a fair amount of time looking at what other folks charge for belts in order to price mine accordingly for what I use. I priced mine lower because I am not using English bridle, or 14oz, or custom buckles. Still, I don't make much, considering the amount of time I put into each belt.

Custom length is infinitely easier than trying to sell standard sizes. I can't even imagine all of the conversations I'd have to have if guys tell me their actual waist size or their jeans tagged size, or if they are in between size should they size up or down. Custom length belts require one easy measurement which ensures that the recipient's belts fit exactly as they should on the middle hole.

No, not really. I personally find 12-14oz leather overkill, so I use 9-10oz.

I only use sturdy buckles that are guaranteed to last. Believe it or not, it is particularly hard to find good buckles. Even though I only use 7-8 different buckles, I get them from five different places because I have searched for the best quality that I can find. I cannot have custom buckles made, because I just don't have the capital or need high quantities.

I almost never use Chicago screws (or, god forbid, snaps) on a belt. I believe they should be hand stitched to fit well and last. Even each keeper is custom sized for each belt.
    [​IMG]

That would explain why you haven't ordered one from me, which is entirely understandable. Odd, though, that you'd have such a strong critique of something you've never seen in person. I'm perfectly fine if someone would rather order a belt from someone else, but I'd hope they'd at least have their facts straight before deciding.

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Here's my shit from Scott (belt and wallet tether), plus my Obbi Good mid wallet (w/hardware from Sumi):

Double veg tanned horsehide w/clint stitch, and all brass hardware
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This stuff just makes me happy- I'm tellin ya!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

9. PDL24DCP

PDL24DCP Well-Known Member

nice stitching/detailing how much did his run??

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I'm going to toot my own horn here - I was the one who came up with that double jesus fish design for Scott.

11. ToledoStyle

ToledoStyle Senior member

@ zissou +1 props for standing up to these bashers. I don't understand why people have to hate and insult people or products they haven't handled or just in general. If you don't like something you can be civil and just say I don't care for them without degrading someone's time and hard effort they put into their product.

@ b-ewing damn that belt looks amazing, I just hope unlucky responds to my e-mail so i can get a few custom belts made. I want at least 3 different styles if thats possible. I like variety :)

12. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I have 2 weeks in Hong Kong and I really don't know if I should go kind of nuts and spend several hundred dollars on one of those crazy Japanese belts or just get a belt for around $50 from the independent makers here.

13. mikecch

mikecch Senior member

The jesus belt :D

14. drmmr

drmmr Senior member

My apologies in advance if this has been answered before, but how much do Unlucky belts run?

15. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

When you started out I thought your prices were great. Now I think they suck. Thats pretty much it.

I'm sure you do a great job. Its just that there are so many other people that offer a strip of leather at a lower pricepoint than you. Yes I know you put a lot of work into it, but the disparity in leather quality is not that great between yours and unluckys. There may not even be a difference.