• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's making good jean belts these days?

Islander

Reaction score
That Tanner is great, I have one in the standard size. Hardware is nice but unremarkable, it looks good on and the leather is nice.

KMW is a work of art, straight up amazing.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
everyone is jumping on the "custom" band wagon these days.

same leather

same hardware

same chicago screws.

******* boring. I wouldn't pay more than 40 dollars for a belt like that.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Had a really good experience overall with Nick over at Hollows leather on a couple of custom belts I've had done, would recommend you give him a look as a cheaper alternative to Tanner.

Erenoth

Reaction score

everyone is jumping on the "custom" band wagon these days.

same leather

same hardware

same chicago screws.

******* boring. I wouldn't pay more than 40 dollars for a belt like that.

I agree, to an extent. After checking out some suggestions on this thread, I ended up placing an order through Nicholas Hollows on what will hopefully be a fantastic belt. Most makers, both solo and mass production, do similar work. The difference is that working with an individual will often net you a better product overall, not to mention the satisfaction that comes with owning a one-of-a-kind garment, built just for you. Once again- many of these makers' products are just about identical, but there are rare gems, such as Hollows, who put extensive effort into details and designs that stand out.

When it comes to buying a quality belt that'll last a lifetime, you'd might as well get something special. There are other impressive belts being made, such as the thick monster belt by KMW, but I can't warrant that kind of purchase when I spent a third the amount of the jeans it's wrapped around.

mikecch

Reaction score

Unlucky (Scott) is a great guy, and makes great ****, but he's too unreliable with his communication. I missed out on the forum special belt, and another belt I had interest in, because I just couldn't get to him reliably. I have a custom belt in #8 shell cordovan colored horsehide up for sale as well. Trying to branch out this time.

The forum special belt was organised through me though, so when you missed out on that, it would have been a miscommunication or problem with e-mail/PM on my end, not Scott's.

My go to guys for custom belts are Scott (unlucky) for US leathers and Terry Dear for good old British oak-bark & bridle.
Can't say enough good things about Scott, I've had the most awesome, custom leathers done by him - from hand-stuffed American steer to deadstock brain-tanned horsehide.
He also does Horween veg. tanned horse butt in natural, worth checking out (AFAIK same as used by McCoy's Buco brand some time ago, and retailed ~ 20,000 yen). His new belting bends from Clayton, UK is also very unique - very different from American leathers, and worth having a handle if you've never experience British leather.
I usually hear back from him within a day, if not a couple of times in the day - dude does have a life though, so non-communication during, let's say a week of camping, is to be expected.
That's the thing about having stuff custom made by private crafters, you can't expect them to have a secretary handling e-mails.

I have not bought a belt from zissou yet, but I like what I see!

For heavily oiled leathers, my favourite is still bridle from England. Lots of different professional craftsmen accessible through the web, and the pricing is really good. If you want a leather that is made the way it was back in the 19th century, give Terry Dear an e-mail and check out his bridles and oak-barks.
For a plain, natural cattlehide leather, IMO nothing on this Earth beats the 12 month oak-bark tanned butt from Baker's tanner, UK. I've previously organised a group buy with Terry using some custom oak-bark butt from Baker's, and it is now available as a regular offering called the Quercus. He can dye it in any colour too!

In Japan, some good options include Vintage Works, Dolce Vita, the dude at Kyoto Freemart, Tenjin, Kawatako, etc.
Would not recommend getting English bridle stuff in Japan, as it gets ridiculously expensive - grab a leather from Tochigi tannery.
You could buy from Sugar Cane or Samurai, but they don't make their own leathers, so bang for buck is not as good (although the Sugar Cane belts are pretty cheap, they are slightly thinner than their advertise weight the last time I checked them out.)

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Foster & Son , London makes the best all around jean belt. 1) It is made from authentic British harness leather 2) Nice , classic buckle 3) comes in a wide variety of colors- tans, browns and even green, red and other colors that really make a statement. I have a classic tan one. If I got a second one it would be green.

http://www.wsfoster.com/shop/Small+Leather+Goods/Belts.htm

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike. Lots of good stuff in there.

^ Very expensive for a simple bridle belt though...

****, you ain't kiddin'.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
absoulute man is Scott AKA Unlucky!! no question.... Worked with him for about a month designing a belt and matching tether. Great communication, best price to quality ratio by far. Next cop is gonna be a double black horshide with x stitching. Scott, you know what I'm talkin about...;)

On the other hand, anything mikecch suggests is gonna be solid. this dude is a leather fuckin freak !!! check his blog if you don't believe me... Good looking out, mate :fistbump:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads