• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who's going to see Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Solid review quotes from RT:

A lot of people put a great deal of effort into this movie to create great effects and exciting action but the whole thing is led by a man who directs by numbers.
Transformers 2 feels a bit like watching someone else play a video game for two and a half hours.
It's like being hit over the head repeatedly with a very expensive, very loud train set.After two and a half hours in this bludgeoning company, you're begging Bay to put away the boys' toys and make a rom-com.
At once loud and boring, like watching paint dry while getting hit over the head with a frying pan.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Johnny 5!

justtemple

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll probably see it and try to catch on screen glimpses of Megan Fox's club thumbs!

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.avclub.com/articles/trans...-fallen,29564/
At least in the last half-hour, Bay’s incredibly sloppy continuity and overeager rush to action pays off, as he forgets the comic-relief characters, whisks past the story elements, and just gets down to a massive, eye-popping combat sequence that blows up everything in sight. Which is probably all anyone really wanted from Michael Bay’s Transformers in the first place. So why did it take nearly five hours of movie to get there?
This is essentially what I said.

Zandros

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mondayc
Michael Bay adds robot balls. Does the sequel carry the same terrible sense of humor as the first?
Yes. But I can't say I didn't enjoy the movie despite some odd moments and some obvious fuckups from the subtitler who made the Laurentian Abyss 16000 metres deep and the All Spark made of silver. Also intriguing was the choice of translating the movie's undertitle (Revenge of the Fallen -> De besegrades hämnd [Revenge of the Defeated]) and not translating the name of The Fallen nor the Matrix of Leadership or anything otherwise named.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you people expect a lot from a 2 and half hour long toy commercial?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you people expect a lot from a 2 and half hour long toy commercial?

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
LOS ANGELES "” "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" introduces some 40 new mechanized characters of all shapes, sizes and even sexes _ but it's a pair of jive-talking 'bots that critics are singling out as more than just harmless comic relief. Skids and Mudflap, twin robots disguised as compact Chevys, constantly brawl and bicker in rap-inspired street slang. They're forced to acknowledge that they can't read. One has a gold tooth. As good guys, they fight alongside the Autobots and are intended to provide comic relief. But the traits they're ascribed raise the specter of stereotypes most notably seen when Jar Jar Binks, the clumsy, broken-English speaking alien from "Star Wars: Episode I _ The Phantom Menace," was criticized as a racial caricature. Wall Street Journal film critic Joe Morgenstern described Binks in 1999 as a "Rastafarian Stepin Fetchit," a reference to a black character from the 1920s and '30s that exploited negative stereotypes for comic effect. Extending that metaphor to the "Transformers" sequel was AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire, who calls Skids and Mudflap "Jar Jar Binks in car form." And Manohla Dargis, film critic for The New York Times, takes it a step further, writing that the "Transformers" characters were given "conspicuously cartoonish, so-called black voices that indicate that minstrelsy remains as much in fashion in Hollywood as when, well, Jar Jar Binks was set loose by George Lucas." Director Michael Bay insists that the bumbling 'bots are just good clean fun. "We're just putting more personality in," Bay said. "I don't know if it's stereotypes _ they are robots, by the way. These are the voice actors. This is kind of the direction they were taking the characters and we went with it." TV actor Reno Wilson, who is black, voices Mudflap. Tom Kenny, the white actor behind SpongeBob SquarePants, voices Skids. Neither immediately responded to interview requests for this story.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Movie was pretty bad and I came in expecting it to be a full blown action movie.

The editing was horrific at times, switching scenes as if a 10 year old edited the movie. Story felt real cliche and put together without much thought and there were plenty of inaccuracies. I'll hold up more details to avoid spoiling it for some.

Overall, it is exactly what the reviews says it is. It is action packed, although at times felt very confusing and too much slow motion action, with cheesy jokes and a very hot Megan Fox. I think it can be enjoyable if you go to the theater with the lowest possible expectation and just to see a beautiful and gorgeous Megan Fox in the big screen, oh yeah if you giant robots killing each other then that might add to the excitement as well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm seeing it tonight. I expect it to be awful. However, it strikes me that many of the reviews out there seem to be working on the premise that the human beings should be the central focus, and the Transformers are nothing more than 'machines'. Now, this might be to blame on Michael Bay's direction, but I wonder how much has to do with reviewers' inability to imagine robots as living characters with emotions and personalities.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
or michael bay's ability to make living humans with emotions and personalities act like robots.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
It is action packed, although at times felt very confusing and too much slow motion action, with cheesy jokes and a very hot Megan Fox.

This is Bay's entire resume, top to bottom.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
or michael bay's ability to make living humans with emotions and personalities act like robots.

Lulz.

I took a bunch of speed when I saw the first one and it still was pretty ******* awful. Not enough drugs in the world to get me to see this one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads