• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whoopee hacking jackets!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That three piece suit both looks exceptionally nice and suits you exceptionally well. I am envious
smile.gif

I see the point of the waist suppression comments on the coat but I still like it.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a street kid, that jacket's unebeleivably awesome, and that three piece is snappy.

Any chance you could take some much higher res pictures? Camera phone shots just don't do this justice.

Hoya Saxa

Reaction score
That is a great looking suit. Just out of curiosity, what size do you normally wear in OTR suits? Not that I'm going to raid your closet in the middle of the night ...

Cheers,

Hoya

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoya Saxa
That is a great looking suit. Just out of curiosity, what size do you normally wear in OTR suits? Not that I'm going to raid your closet in the middle of the night ...

Cheers,

Hoya

You may have to wait in line at that point
tounge.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I can't beleive that I'm agreeing, as I love more than usual waist suppression but this does look a bit too extreme imo, and looks very much like a woman's jacket. But overall I do like both pieces and would rather have too much rather than no waist suppression.

Waist suppression on the second is perfect, although i agree about the first.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hoya Saxa

Cheers,

Hoya

I haven't tried on a OTR suit since I was just out of high school, and even then, before I broadened in some areas and slimmed in others, no one size fit.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoopee, is the kind of back on your jacket known as a half-Norfolk? (i.e. the half belt vent across the shoulders)

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i love the hacking jkt great as a odd jkt, and the 3 piece looks good too but if it was me i would reduce the hight of the button stance a inch or half, but overall great looking suit!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I can't believe I am saying this but the first jacket has too much waist suppression. The pocket flaps are great, though I'm not sure about having the button on the breast pocket. Would you still be able to wear a square with that exposed button?
I feel the issue with waist suppression may be due to the hip shape, which doesn't have that cupping and so the flare is especially dramatic in that sense.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I can't believe I am saying this but the first jacket has too much waist suppression. The pocket flaps are great, though I'm not sure about having the button on the breast pocket. Would you still be able to wear a square with that exposed button?

The waist is a bit tight. However, it is made to appear more suppressed because of the shoulder build up. The suit waist is great. But I would prefer, for myself, not so much padding in the shoulder. Let it "fall" over the shoulder head a bit.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is one thin layer of wadding. The rest are my shoulders and the thick cloth.

The jacket is not really meant to be buttoned. It obviously can be, but I never nor ever intended to wear it that way. How it looks in the first picture is how I like it - the suppression makes it appear not sloppy, as can sometimes be the case with a loose unbuttoned coat. The buttoned pic was meant to provide a clear picture of the design for a tailor to construct a similar coat.

I do appreciate the comments.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
chan gets a visit from me next time i step in hongkong.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree with the comments about the waist suppression. I say, if you've got it, flaunt it! whoopee has the physique to look good with that much waist suppression and it gives what would otherwise be a very staid (old-fashioned?) jacket some real flair. Likewise, the peak lapels and high gorge on the 3-piece suit give it character, whereas comparable waist suppression as on the jacket would put it over the top, IMO. I think both the jacket and the suit are great (the DB is still my favorite, though). whoopee, I admire your taste!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads