1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wholecut Shoes for Wide Feet?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by diadem, May 7, 2013.

1. diadem

diadem Senior member

So I have feet that are about a US size 8E (UK 7.5G). I also have a pretty decent instep. This makes it very difficult to find a wholecut shoe that fits me well. I've looked at shoes like the Herring MacDonald and the C&J Weymouth, but these shoes don't come in G sizes. Am I out of luck? I don't have the money to go bespoke. Any help would be appreciated. I really love the look of wholecut shoes and want to own a pair.

2. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

The Allen Edmonds Westgate has been discontinued, but the AE Shoebank may still have some in your size at a pretty good discount. Just email them at shoebank@allenedmonds.com. They don't make a wholecut with a medallion though.

3. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I have a slightly wide fit, and I find the Cheaney Imperial wholecut model fits my feet very well. A nice almond shape.

I believe Herring does stock the model.

4. Pembers

Pembers Senior member

I believe all Tricker's models come in the wider '6' fitting, and their 'Harrow' wholecut is quite nice.

5. diadem

diadem Senior member

Thanks for the input, guys.

Fred G. Unn, I'll shoot AE an email and see if they have any in stock in my size. Thanks.

add911_11, I tried looking up the shoe you were talking about, but I can't seem to find it on Herring's website. I see that Cheaney makes several wholecut models for Herring (MacDonald, MacMillan, and possibly the Chaucer II?), but none of them come in G sizes. There doesn't seem to be a wholecut model in Cheaney's Imperial line, at least not anymore.

Pembers, the Harrow from Tricker's looks beautiful, but I can't seem to find it in stock anywhere :(

I'll keep looking and see what I turn up. Thanks, guys!

6. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

If you have the budget, Canali shoes are good for wide feet. They have nice wholecuts as well.

7. diadem

diadem Senior member

I tried looking up Canali shoes online, but couldn't find anywhere to buy them. I work in Midtown NYC, so I can always swing by one of their boutiques (either the one on 5th Ave. or the one on Madison Ave.). What are the prices like?

I'm not having luck finding any other wholecut shoes that fit my requirements online, though...damn, this sucks.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Try their outlet store at Woodbuery commons.

9. diadem

diadem Senior member

10. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Depending on your budget, I am in love with the GG Sinatra. Not quite bespoke, but it's a stunner...

11. diadem

diadem Senior member

Can't afford G&G RTW, let alone MTO, which seems to be the only way I can get the wide fitting sizes. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

12. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Meermin wholecuts on the AMA last. Wide enough at the forefoot.

13. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Now that I think about it, Carmina makes a RTW wholecut on their Rain last which is suppose to we wider than their other lasts...

14. diadem

diadem Senior member

I just looked these up. The fitting of the last is E+ and the width of the shoe listed on their site is 99cm, which is a couple millimeters too short for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though. These were the perfect price for me. Unfortunately, the sizing and the whole "dutygate" issue going on over in the Meermin thread will preclude me from buying these.
    I actually am really intrigued by these. The most I'm willing to spend at the moment is $500 USD and these come in just under that once Euros are converted to dollars. The fitting is EE, which is perfect since I have a high instep as well, so the extra width is appreciated. Looks like I've found by shoe. I've been itching to try a Carmina for a while now, too. Cheers, everyone!

15. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Loake if I remember correctly. I'd be careful with wholecuts made on not so great leather. Personally, I would save an extra few $ and spend a little more to make sure the leather ages well.
    Carmina might be a good option. If not, there are numerous MTOs that pop up so maybe bringing up a WC would garnish attention. OP: since you're in NYC, I'd say drop by the C&J store on 56th and try the Weymouth. Even though it's on an E, I find that it fits more generously than say, their 348 (which the wholecut Alex is on). You might be surprised and the leather is amazing. Wearing them right now actually: [​IMG] These and my AS are hands down better than my C&J BG Alex.

16. diadem

diadem Senior member

^ Good stuff. I really like the Weymouth, but now that I think about it, I think I prefer the plain toe of the Carmina shoe over the medallion on the Weymouth. I work in finance and the medallion just looks less formal for the office. I still like it, though, and would love to own a wholecut pair of shoes with medallions somewhere down the line.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  17. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

plain toes are awesome. Rider boots are best for if you work in finance though. Especially the Oslo.

18. Dr P00b

Dr P00b Well-Known Member

If you're interested in a boot RM Williams do some nice whole cut ones and they come in a wide 'G' fitting.

19. diadem

diadem Senior member

So I got the Carmina wholecuts, and, well...

[​IMG]

Needless to say, these are going up on the marketplace. That's the last time I ever buy a pair of shoes without trying them on first. Oh well, back to square one with my freakishly wide feet [​IMG]

20. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

what size are those?