• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whole Lotta Cars, How, How, How

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So a friend of mine died a premature untimely death. He had quite a car collection. **** happens and the original plans have gone awry. Another old friend ( who has been quite successful in the music business ) wanted to buy a 1930s car for his wife. So I took him out to see the collection. He didn't want to be photographed ( he's quite recognizable ) and his wife took the pictures with me in them. Here are a few: Me and the PopeMobile:
ClassiccarswithBFG056.jpg
There's been one Polish Pope, why not another? And even though my musician friend is Catholic he took this picture of me, a Jew, by the car. Me and the BatMobile ( I didn't see the movies and I don't know if this is #1 or #2 )
ClassiccarswithBFG033.jpg
The other Batmobile:
ClassiccarswithBFG034.jpg
One of 50 Tucker autos ever built ( this one is perfect );
ClassiccarswithBFG007.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG008.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG009.jpg
I like history and things with a story. Here is one of my favorites. It's a Limo that was used by FDR and some other Presidents:
ClassiccarswithBFG010.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG011.jpg
A 1932 Duesenberg driven by Tom Mix. I joked that this would be the perfect car for my friend. He laughed and said he's more of a "Hot Rod" guy:
ClassiccarswithBFG027.jpg
And a truly fun car. A Pontiac Bonneville that was customized for Hank Williams Jr. "Only in Texas"
ClassiccarswithBFG028.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG032.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG029.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG030.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG031.jpg
The musician's favorite, "The Bamboo Bomber":
ClassiccarswithBFG043.jpg
ClassiccarswithBFG082.jpg
And one of my deceased friend's very favorites, a 1936 Duesenberg SJ with Bohman and Schwartz Coach Work:
ClassiccarswithBFG035.jpg
There are many, many more. Including some amazing stuff like a 1907 Mercedes, a RR built for a King, and AC Cobra personally owned by Carroll Shelby, and Delahayes, Talbotts, Bugattis, and rarities galore. If there is interest I'll post more. It was a fun day. If you are truly a Big Timer like Matt, Vox, or connemara, PM me and I'll put you in touch with the estate people.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazing. Thanks for sharing.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Looks like fun!

It was for the King Of Belgium a 100 years ago:

ClassiccarswithBFG047.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG048.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG049.jpg

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is stunning.

Sorry about your friend's death.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
very nice rnoldh. so what happens to the cars now?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A 1911 Mercedes "that must have required 2 men and a boy to start it!"

I t was pretty spectacular in person:

ClassiccarswithBFG061.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG062.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG060.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG058.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG059.jpg

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The dude owned the batmobile? That's so awesome.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
very nice rnoldh. so what happens to the cars now?

No final decisions.

The owner died suddenly and unexpectedly.

If they were all put on the market immediately as a whole, I think the market for these type of cars would be depressed.

Expect to see groups of them offered at auction over the next 2 to 3 years.

If anyone ( like my musician friend ) is truly a Big Timer, and has interest in something, PM me. At the very least you can avoid the Buyers Premium of an auction. I'm no Big Timer and I would have loved to see them stay in Houston.

There are other collections with many gems but few if any this large and eclectic. 1,000+ cars with everything from Duesenberg SJs with Bohman and Schwartz Coach Work, the Popemobile, both Batmobiles, Howard Hughes first car, some of the first AC Cobras, Delahayes, Talbotts, Bugattis, Aston LaGondas, many turn of the century RRs and Peugeots etc, and human interest cars like Hank Williams Jrs. customized Bonneville and 3 Presidential Limos as well as Kings cars. It really is overwhelming.

PS: And the primo 1948 Tucker. That would be nice to have in the garage
smile.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
The dude owned the batmobile? That's so awesome.

There were 2 of them.

He owned both.

He had a sense of humor too. He owned a JFK Presidential Limo. Not the one JFK was assassinated in but the one that was used for Jackie K.

If teger would have played JFK, I would have played John Connaly and Piobaire could have shot teger! If the single bullet theory is true I would have taken one for the SF team as Connaly did for his nation
laugh.gif

BTW: The musician guy and I knew the guy who supplied the gun that Woody Harrelson's Dad used to assasinate Federal Judge John Wood. True story and it was huge news in the mid 1980s. Too sensitive to name people here though the gun supplier and Charles Harrelson Dad are dead.

The "Jackie K. Limo":

ClassiccarswithBFG012.jpg

ms244

Reaction score
Is that a 56 Packard next to the Tucker or a real heartless commie Chaika?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
No final decisions.

The owner died suddenly and unexpectedly.

If they were all put on the market immediately as a whole, I think the market for these type of cars would be depressed.

Expect to see groups of them offered at auction over the next 2 to 3 years.

If anyone ( like my musician friend ) is truly a Big Timer, and has interest in something, PM me. At the very least you can avoid the Buyers Premium of an auction. I'm no Big Timer and I would have loved to see them stay in Houston.

There are other collections with many gems but few if any this large and eclectic. 1,000+ cars with everything from Duesenberg SJs with Bohman and Schwartz Coach Work, the Popemobile, both Batmobiles, Howard Hughes first car, some of the first AC Cobras, Delahayes, Talbotts, Bugattis, Aston LaGondas, many turn of the century RRs and Peugeots etc, and human interest cars like Hank Williams Jrs. customized Bonneville and 3 Presidential Limos as well as Kings cars. It really is overwhelming.

PS: And the primo 1948 Tucker. That would be nice to have in the garage
smile.gif

this guy? sorry for your friend's loss. I'd love to see that collection though, next time I'm in Houston. hope they consider having these placed in a permanent museum.

or if not, I can do my share and take care of the AC Cobra for them.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Is that a 56 Packard next to the Tucker or a real heartless commie Chaika?

Definitely not a Chaika. I'll have to check the inventory to see what it is.

One of Carroll Shelby's original AC Cobras ( personally driven by him ):

ClassiccarswithBFG002.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG003.jpg

ClassiccarswithBFG004.jpg

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
this guy? sorry for your friend's loss. I'd love to see that collection though, next time I'm in Houston. hope they consider having these placed in a permanent museum. or if not, I can do my share and take care of the AC Cobra for them.
Yes, him. And a museum in Houston is not looking good right now though things can change. He had more than one AC Cobra ( all real and not replicars ). Both 289s and original 427s. If you are serious, PM me. Personally, I love AC Cobras. To me they are Iconic cars of the 1960s. If you like those type of cars, it doesn't get much better than an AC Cobra with original wire wheels that was driven by Carroll Shelby. Another Cobra:
ClassiccarswithBFG005.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads