• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whole cut what do you recommend?

drljva

Reaction score
drljva,

They actually came with the shoes.  The one on the top right pair is his new design, the ones with the "toggle handle" are his old design.
both designs look really cool... are the shoe trees included in the price, or are they extra?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Thracozaag @ April 01 2005,12:26)
Originally Posted by NoVaguy,Mar. 31 2005,20:54
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe,Mar. 31 2005,22:37
What are those?
I'm pretty sure those are made by Santoni.

Santoni, fatte a mano, will set you back about 1500 at the boutique. koji
That's right, but Santoni for 1500?? Â
confused.gif
I think they might be around 850 euros (1100 dollar). This particular model wasn't sold in Holland unfortunately, but I have seen some others with this lining for about 850. Which is more than twice as expensive as the Santoni's I currently own (the orange liner). Santoni is available from about 300 euros btw. They also have a very nice wholecut model that is on sale for 360 euros over here.
Unfortunately, with the dollar being so weak, that is the case (at least at the boutique on Madison Avenue). I'm still kicking myself for not getting a pair in Florence (was only 350 euros) when I had the chance. koji

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ April 01 2005,07:50)
Originally Posted by Thracozaag,April 01 2005,12:26
Originally Posted by NoVaguy,Mar. 31 2005,20:54
Originally Posted by Panzeraxe,Mar. 31 2005,22:37
What are those?
I'm pretty sure those are made by Santoni.

Santoni, fatte a mano, will set you back about 1500 at the boutique. koji

That's right, but Santoni for 1500?? Â
confused.gif
I think they might be around 850 euros (1100 dollar). This particular model wasn't sold in Holland unfortunately, but I have seen some others with this lining for about 850. Which is more than twice as expensive as the Santoni's I currently own (the orange liner). Santoni is available from about 300 euros btw. They also have a very nice wholecut model that is on sale for 360 euros over here.
Unfortunately, with the dollar being so weak, that is the case (at least at the boutique on Madison Avenue). Â I'm still kicking myself for not getting a pair in Florence (was only 350 euros) when I had the chance. koji
I know there are some special editions that are up to 2800 euros (alligator/croc spectators fatte a mano) but normally Santoni should be somewhere between 350 and 1000 euros. In Europe at least, but I do feel your pain
wink.gif
I can only imagine how friggin' expensive Lattanzi and Berluti must be for you guys. How much does a normal C&J Connaught Calf cost for instance? But about wholecuts, I like the Santoni I posted earlier and the Berluti clubs. When I get the chance I will definitely pick them up somehwere.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Allen-Edmonds shoe is an example of why AE frustrates me. It's not a bad idea, and I like the antiquing on the leather (although I doubt that they came from AE like that -- Ron probably worked them over a bit). The problem is that the last is so blobby that it completely ruins the shoe. I'd pass. Of the remaining two, I think that the Gravati is the clear winner. Gravati makes a better Blake-constructed shoe than Borgioli does, and the Radica leather used on that Gravati shoe is just great. It's very distinctive, and it's very soft. The only downside is that it doesn't take as much of a shine as some other leathers. That fact doesn't bother me much. Hey, Ron, how about something in Radica 01 or Radica 03 next season?
wink.gif

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Never done whole-cut, although the first example was most intriguing.

Also saw a lovely one in black from JM Weston with a little decoration. Don't know the price.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
In  Look at the shoelaces in the picture: Cheap laces that tore apart after just a few wearings.  When you have a real quality pr. of shoes, you see the differences.  
Grayson
Wellllllll... the laces in my Berlutis tear apart very easily. The Paris shops have been very good about giving me replacements when I've popped in, although I don't expect the same level of service in New York.

Demeis, if you're an undergrad, do consider your options well before setting a $500 ceiling for shoes. Are these shoes you're going to use to walk to class? For $400 to $500 I'd want to have a pair of shoes that I could wear for 10 years or more, with appropriate maintenance. Make sure that you're buying a style that you think you'd be happy with at later stages of life. Not to lecture; I just remember making similar choices as an undergrad and buying my zip-up Chelseas...

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
But seriously, have you considered the C&J Weymouths? This picture makes the toe look more angular than it really is;
Weymouth.jpg
I ordered my pair in August and am impressed. It is a great shoe at a great price ($395 US from PLal). While technically not a wholecut, the C&J Aintree is also really, really nice. This picture shows a truer representation of the 337 last toe;
Aintree.jpg
Strangely, PLal can't get it in the pictured tan. Only black. I bought a pair in tan from the Jermyn Streeet store in Sept and I think they are my favourite shoes. If you live anywhere close to a place that stocks C&J Handgrades, I recommend you go try on a pair before ordering over the interweb. Edited to add; Ooh. 100 posts. I am a somebody. And it only took a year.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have considered the weymouths, i like them but i really like the first pair i posted the best. Does PLAL do narrow widths?

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Sadly, C&J London does not offer narrow widths in the Handgrade line, except perhaps via special order. They do offer about 2 shoes a season from their regular, bench-grade line in narrow widths.

I think it has been posted here that C&J Paris does narrow widths in their handgrade equivalent line, along with more daring designs.

I have a narrow heel but average width ball. I add a small pad to the tongue of my handgrades and they fit very well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads