• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whole-cut shoes

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the look of whole-cut Oxford shoes. What are the pros and cons of whole-cuts, in terms of comfort and durability? Do they have a tendency to get creased up easily?

Who makes top quality whole-cuts at relatively good value? (I read that Edward Green offers one of the highest quality to price ratio for shoes.)

Appreciate some guidance. Thanks.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a great value on whole cuts, you should wait to buy until the new shipment of Grensons comes in in Feb.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also love this look. I bought brown Crockett and Jones wholecuts but have not worn them yet. This week, I also tried on some wholecut Grensons at Paul Stuart which were on sale, and I was about a blink away from buying them. They had a medallion on the toe and were great.
I don't know about Edward Green being value for money. They are amazing quality, but by any standard they are extremely expensive for a pair of shoes.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for a great value on whole cuts, you should wait to buy until the new shipment of Grensons comes in in Feb.
Grenson master piece that I have is Stowe and it is truly amazing shoes IMHO.  Leather is very soft, fits like it was made for me.  I would love to get hands on Felstead and Rugby.

But I think Santoni handgrade shoes are the best looking whole cut shoes. ...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I really like the look of whole-cut Oxford shoes. What are the pros and cons of whole-cuts, in terms of comfort and durability? Do they have a tendency to get creased up easily?
Wholecuts shouldn't be any more or less comfortable or durable than other styles of shoes, all other things being equal. They're also not more or less likely to get creased up easily, although creases that do develop are more apparent because there is no toe cap or wing cap to camouflage them.
Who makes top quality whole-cuts at relatively good value? (I read that Edward Green offers one of the highest quality to price ratio for shoes.)
Well, EG certainly makes some of the highest-quality RTW shoes available, but I don't know whether their QPR is that great -- they're very expensive shoes at retail. Most of the English makers have a wholecut model. C&J's Weymouth has quite a reputation on this board, and deservedly so:
9411_R.jpg
Many of the Italian manufacturers also have a model. Here's a Gravati that I like:
61396lg.jpg

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Wholecuts shouldn't be any more or less comfortable or durable than other styles of shoes, all other things being equal. They're also not more or less likely to get creased up easily, although creases that do develop are more apparent because there is no toe cap or wing cap to camouflage them.

I think that this might be true for the most part, but would have to disagree slightly regarding fit. I tried on some EG shoes a few months ago, and spoke with John Garner, one of the fitters there.

I have a wide foot and a high arch. He had me try on a captoe in size 7.5 in the 888 last.  The shoe was tight across the bridge of the foot, and pinched my small toe. When I mentioned this, Mr. Garner said that the pieces of leather can only stretch as far as the distance between each seam, and recommended a whole cut.  He said that the fewer "stays" there are in a shoe upper, the more the leather will be able to stretch to accommodate the foot.

This was an "Aha." moment for me. Last year I bought both the C&J  Weymouth (a wholecut) and the Belgrave (a captoe), each in the same size and on the 337 last.  They were initially very tight across the bridge of the foot and topo snug on the small toe, but the Weymouth loosened up much more quickly than the Belgrave did.  

I attributed this to differences in the way the leather had been stretched across the last, but if Mr. Garner's advice is correct, a snug wholecut will be able to stretch more than a snug cap toe or wing tip.

Bic

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bic - very interesting anecdote and advice. Thanks.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the responses.

The brogueing on the C&J Weymouth is nice, but I wonder if others make a plain pair. Has anyone seen a completely plain whole-cut from top English makers like EG, C&J, Grenson etc that is in production?

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Alfred Sargent makes a non-brogued wholecut. They can be found on pediwear.

Some people say the last isn't as elegant as other makers, but I like the leather and the inner finishing.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Has anyone seen a completely plain whole-cut from top English makers like EG, C&J, Grenson etc that is in production?
EG makes the Newbury. This is the only picture I could find, but it's a special order and the medallion on the toe was added. The default configuration is with no medallion.
118member.jpg

sirgarnetwolseley

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a completely plain whole-cut from top English makers like EG, C&J, Grenson etc that is in production?
Well, Grenson offers the Stowe, and I'm sure C&J and EG wholecuts can be special ordered without broguing.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these, from Shipton and Heneage, are rebadged versions of the Alfred Sargents. I think the brogued wholecut is... interesting. Also, while we're on... interesting wholecut shoes, the AE Fairfax is... interesting...
fairfaxdisplay3mp.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to say earlier, I was sure Church's had a wholecut, but since I had only ever seen them in a thrift store I didn't know if they were still available. I know Church's get ranked on here pretty hard, but they did look pretty nice to my untrained eye.

Edit: BTW, and no offense meant to anyone who has/likes those AEs above, but those are truly hideous, IMO.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a pair of westerburys. I like them, but I have to say that they have developed a pretty big crack after only about 7-8 years of wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics