• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whole Body Workouts?

Andy Got Rocks

Reaction score
Well, first time on this forum, definitely seems like a change of atmosphere from most forums i've visits that are made up of 18 year old gamers and internet tough guys.

Anyway, i've got a sort of odd predicament. I have joint hypermobility syndrome, which means my ligaments are lax and therefore my joints are fairly supple and injury prone.

Unfortunately, I did not learn I had this until after a major sprain during track practice and I didn't realize the severity of doing high impact exercises until after 5 years of power lifting.

Anyway, long story short, after years of depression (which is a totally different story), years of bad choices, years of poor posture, total disregard for my health and well being , my entire body is pretty bad. Especially my shoulders. I have trouble keeping them level and not popping out of the shoulder daily. So i'm trying to find whole body workouts that are fairly low impact, focus on using the body as one system, and help to promote balance and coordination.

I've heard pilates and yoga are pretty good and someone even suggested isometrics but I wanted to get some more feed back before I do anything. Also, did ask the doctor, he recommended low impact exercises and referred me to a health clinic that deals with physical therapy/physical training for people with orthopedic problems but my insurance does not cover it and at this time (with my non-profit job) I cannot afford a $140 a session

so yeah..thats it for my first post...thanks for any input!

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swim?

noxlord

Reaction score
This. You will have to take in consideration your specific limitations, etc ... Are you a chronic shoulder dislocator ?? This will need more attention that what random internet strangers can give you i fear ... Good luck !!!!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swimming probably would help, but be careful about the shoulders. Maybe rotator cuff exercises, light free weights, and/or one session with a physical therapist (to get at-home exercises) would benefit. Pilates and yoga might be too risky for the shoulders. Isometrics is no miracle cure, but it's very low-risk.

WildPegasus

Reaction score
Starting Strength.

Squats and deadlifts aren't an issue with your shoulders. Overhead pressing will build up the strength in your shoulders so they're less likely to pop out. I'd skip the bench pressing until you've got sufficient strength and stability in your shoulders from overhead pressing.

thewallychamp

Reaction score
my favorite thing in the world is jumping rope.. total body, but i really don't know how risky it might be for you

if a doctor okays it you can try and keep it low impact, making sure to jump on a foam pad

matstyleku

Reaction score
This is taken from the most definitive source that almost all doctors used called uptodate. Taken from an article specifically regarding hypermobility syndrome. Honestly, I'm not sure how much your doctor will know and the physical therapist will know a lot more than the doctor. Please PM me and give me your email. I can give you the articles they refer to called Joint protection program for the upper and lower limb, it's too much to copy and paste.

From uptodate:

Muscle strengthening "” The use of individualized resistance exercise to forearm extensors, quadriceps, and abdominal muscles has been helpful [41]. (See "Joint protection program for the upper limb" and "Joint protection program for the lower limb".)

Referral to a physical therapist and occupational therapist may be very beneficial. We find that aquatic exercises can be very helpful to begin reconditioning in severely deconditioned patients and those who also have fibromyalgia.

so.. +1 on swimming.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At least you've come to acknowledge your situation now, cause most don't.

As others have mentioned, swimming or water work would be best. Although shoulder rotation for most swimming strokes could cause problems. But simulated running in water, various other exercises in the water could be a good start.

Also, basic yoga will be good, and simple compound body weight exercises will help also. And if you are truly unconditioned walking and adjusting your diet are important first steps.

Why did it take so long for this to be diagnosed? You seemed to be very active given the track/ power lifting... surely there were signs of possible orthopedic issues?

mehhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by noxlord
This.

You will have to take in consideration your specific limitations, etc ... Are you a chronic shoulder dislocator ?? This will need more attention that what random internet strangers can give you i fear ... Good luck !!!!

Sweet link.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
+1 on swimming

It would seem to be the obvious, lowest impact choice that works the whole body, and notably the shoulders.

I think free weights would be a terrible idea, too much leeway for poor form, which is bad for anyone, and terrible for someone who is already limited. If you had to do weights, I think it would make more sense to use machines, where your form is, to a certain extent, dictated by the machinery. I am far from an expert in such matters though, so perhaps someone with better creds there can correct me.

While I love my jumprope as much as anyone, it's heavy impact (and I couldn't imagine doing it on a foam pad, slow ur feet and slow the rope, no?) so for pure cardio plus some lower body strenghtening, maybe cycling would be a good choice.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on joint hypermobility syndrome. I'm not even sure swimming will be safe for your shoulders with such weak rotator cuffs. Please see a PT, preferably one who specializes in this like JHS and Fibromyalgia. Then I'd feel comfortable suggesting a specific program.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by WildPegasus
Starting Strength.

Squats and deadlifts aren't an issue with your shoulders. Overhead pressing will build up the strength in your shoulders so they're less likely to pop out. I'd skip the bench pressing until you've got sufficient strength and stability in your shoulders from overhead pressing.

ffffuuuu.gif

I'm all for SS but saying **** like "squats and deadlifts aren't an isue with your shoulders" is stupid at best. If his physio OK's it, sure... OP needs to take this with a grain of salt.

I would say swimming, but it really depends on your shoulders - any kind of stroke is going to heavily involve them. As gay as it sounds, aqua-cardio ("aquafit") could help you out a lot. I'd go to a physiotherapist and see what they suggest; leaving your health in the hands of the internet when you have an ailment like this could be pretty dangerous.

ericyangsays

Reaction score
I do yoga regularly and i found that it does wonders for my body. You should give yoga a try for a week or two.

WildPegasus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
ffffuuuu.gif

I'm all for SS but saying **** like "squats and deadlifts aren't an isue with your shoulders" is stupid at best. If his physio OK's it, sure... OP needs to take this with a grain of salt.

And what experience do you have with hypermobile shoulders? I've had them my whole life and they've popped out on plenty of occasions. Doing a program like Starting Strength has been the best thing for mine.

The bad advice on here is yoga. Why would you want someone who is already too flexible to do something that will make them even more flexible?

An important piece of advice is to not stretch before you lift weights.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads