• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who would you choose any why ?, Thomas Mahon, W. Westmancott or Des Merrion

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
"...as many disasters?" Wow again.

Well, your guy left for a reason, right?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Maybe the problem was that you didn't pay for his Oil Baron Special.

Will doesn't want everything handstitched. That would be presumptuous.

The "old established SR houses" appear disastrously inconsistent in the quality of product they put out. From what we've seen, I'd trust Mahon much more than any of them.

I am starting to believe that some men have been assigned by Providence to serve as black holes of sartorial misfortune, leaving the universe safer for those of us whom Providence loves more dearly. It is just a theory at this point.

- B

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am starting to believe that some men have been assigned by Providence to serve as black holes of sartorial misfortune, leaving the universe safer for those of us whom Providence loves more dearly. It is just a theory at this point.

I think that A) you overestimate the extent of various disasters, and B) underestimate how lucky or at least fortunate you are to have found someone who does good work for you and never or rarely screws up.

Also, you seem to be admirably monogamous with your makers. Others who are more promiscuous about trying various tailors are bound to have some bad experiences. But they will arguably also have more fun.

newtrane

Reaction score
Will: Could you please elaborate on your experiences with the bigger SR houses. I would be sincerely interested to learn more.

Concerning F&H, may I refer to the following post at AA:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=90071

I am very happy with the SR tailor I am using. Never had quality consistency problems.

passingtime

Reaction score
I believe Peter Harvey has left and consequently F&H are in a hiatus. The register address was changed a couple of days before Christmas from the Sackville address to an address in Hornchurch so the shop being closed would not be a surprise.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Isn't Peter Harvey the only working tailor at F&H? So if he is gone, who is there to make clothes?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well, your guy left for a reason, right?

He's mentioned them, but none had anything to do with a decline in the firm's quality. Now that I think about it, though, the same factors that led him to go out on his own with Tom could very well have led to the type of low level turmoil that would have affected consistency of product.

I don't know...everyone I've seen in person dressed by an SR house has looked very good. The only people I've met dressed by a bespoke Italian maker were done by Caraceni, and that looked swell. In contrast, this is not what I can say about people whom I've met who have been dressed by the best American tailors. I've seen some unfortunate stuff in that last category, or stuff not to my taste.

I think I'll stick with the premise that the Internet provides a poor sampling medium while recognzing that my personal experience might be a poorer sample still.

- B

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Others who are more promiscuous about trying various tailors are bound to have some bad experiences. But they will arguably also have more fun.

laugh.gif

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think that A) you overestimate the extent of various disasters, and B) underestimate how lucky or at least fortunate you are to have found someone who does good work for you and never or rarely screws up.

Also, you seem to be admirably monogamous with your makers. Others who are more promiscuous about trying various tailors are bound to have some bad experiences. But they will arguably also have more fun.

Yeah. That sounds about right. There's something to be said for the security of working with one person over time.

I only plan on testing polygamy if I travel to Naples...unfortunately, the trip we had planned for this summer might not materialize.

Abandoning the trip, however, probably reduces my chance of getting mugged this summer.

- B

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by passingtime
I believe Peter Harvey has left and consequently F&H are in a hiatus. The register address was changed a couple of days before Christmas from the Sackville address to an address in Hornchurch so the shop being closed would not be a surprise.

That's disquieting.

They seemed well liked.

- B

passingtime

Reaction score
Isn't Peter Harvey the only working tailor at F&H? So if he is gone, who is there to make clothes?

That's correct. Carol Fallan is going to have to try and call in some favours, but that will only work in the very short term and giving up the shop bodes ill.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I think I'll stick with the premise that the Internet provides a poor sampling medium while recognzing that my personal experience might be a poorer sample still.

- B

Also, good tailoring looks much better in real life than in still photos, and nobody in their right mind spends time inspecting somebody's suit in person like they might on the nets.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Also, good tailoring looks much better in real life than in still photos, and nobody in their right mind spends time inspecting somebody's suit in person like they might on the nets.

I was going to say, "Speak for yourself," but I see that you added the appropriate qualifier.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Touche. Still, some of the stuff we see online is so bad that it's hard not to be shocked a reputable tailor would let it out his door.

I only plan on testing polygamy if I travel to Naples...unfortunately, the trip we had planned for this summer might not materialize.

Abandoning the trip, however, probably reduces my chance of getting mugged this summer.

If you stay at the Excelsior and limit your travel to points between there and the top of Via Filiangieri, you'll have less of a chance of getting mugged than in the southside of Chicago.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you stay at the Excelsior and limit your travel to points between there and the top of Via Filiangieri, you'll have less of a chance of getting mugged than in the southside of Chicago.

What a comforting thought. :)

I lived just South of the loop for a decade and every month in warmer weather we'd read about the hospitalized tourists who thought they could walk to Chinatown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads