• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sell mostly over the internet, which gives people great license to act like jerks (perhaps you’ve noticed!) but most of the customers are great.

Most.

Worst was man who bought a Brooks Brothers topcoat, a chesterfield maybe, from the time when Brooks coats had two labels: One at the back of the neck, usually gold on blue, and another in black on white in the inside right pocket with the size stamped on it. This coat lacked the neck label something I had regrettably neglected to note in the listing, but the one inside the pocket confirmed the maker.

Bought, paid for shipped, and then without forewarning: negative feedback and a long series of ALL CAPS messages that begin with the accusations of fraud and of peddling counterfeit goods. He demands his money back immediately.. I go to great pains to even send the pic of the inner label for authentification by Brooks staff, and post a thread somewhere on this forum. Of course at this point he doesn’t want to listen and considers the matter closed. Coat is never returned. I keep the money.

Fun fact: he worked in communications.

Strangest fact: googling revealed he’d gone into cardiac arrest in the past few years; a safety officer’s fast response had been commended in a way that left a record on the internet. I was soooooo tempted to suggest that this fury was bad for the heart….but chose the high rode instead, amping up the cheerfulness with every response and finally leaving “I’m sure you are enjoying your AUTHENTIC Brooks Brothers coat!” as feedback.

SuitMyself

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM

Men returning RTW shirts to the MTM dept. Men bringing RTW shirts to the MTM dept. to have re-collared and cuffed and demanding the same fabric and do not understand they are different factories in different countries. MTM items that were remade, not because they were made wrong but because the customer was unhappy with the house fit and they refuse to pick them up because I called them on their work number, which their file stated was their preferred number....well we got your credit card number. People that want MTM black suits. People that demand discounts because they order 3 shirts, which is the minimum. And people that argue that they know more about clothes than we do...and that is why they are wearing single vented blue suits with boat shoes. Customers that insult your own style. Customers that claim your MTM or Bespoke clothes were not made for you but thrifted and you put your name on the label at the store.

Oh God, this is gold, Jerry! GOLD!!

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laurens
I inherited it, it was from my great-great grandfather (atleast that's what I've been told.
I think they are hideous and I would never wear it (not that it fits my boney pianist fingers.)

But I think people who have a fake new one are just pretending to come from an important family.
Why else would you wear one? It's not like people seal their letters with their family mark these days.

It's clear such rings and the heritage they imply are of no import to you.

Laurens

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
It's clear such rings and the heritage they imply are of no import to you.

That Message you quoted did not really came out very well.
I have learned something new today:
I should not be on SF.net at four in the morning after watching American entertainment.

As for Signet rings, I know what heritage they imply and that is why I think it is silly if a person orders a new signet ring without weapon or a new signet ring with a "new" family weapon when you are not a patrician or are not from Noble descent. Those people are just trying to make other people think that they have heritage.
I am a patrician and many branches in my family have noble titles. I think the history associated with the Signet ring I own is amazing but I do not like to wear it; it does not fit me (in size and looks).
That said in modern Holland titles like patrician mean nothing to at least 90% of the population.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Laurens
That Message you quoted did not really came out very well. I have learned something new today: I should not be on SF.net at four in the morning after watching American entertainment. As for Signet rings, I know what heritage they imply and that is why I think it is silly if a person orders a new signet ring without weapon or a new signet ring with a "new” family weapon when you are not a patrician or are not from Noble descent. Those people are just trying to make other people think that they have heritage. I am a patrician and many branches in my family have noble titles. I think the history associated with the Signet ring I own is amazing but I do not like to wear it; it does not fit me (in size and looks). That said in modern Holland titles like patrician mean nothing to at least 90% of the population.
Ahh, the cheek of them muggles, eh? My great grandfather had a signet ring made -- not because he was of noble descent (he was not) -- but because he wanted to. Now, 3 generations later, the signet ring with the monogram of our family name is now mine. And it certainly has a history associated with it -- he had it made when he was a sailor in the East India Company and subsequently served in the Royal Navy, and he's had some interesting adventures and great stories. But since none of us are "patricians" by your definition, or even mere noblemen (you see, some of us were fortunate enough to be born in countries that have no titles), does that invalidate our ability to use said signet rings? After all, if I created a signet ring today and passed one on to my future progeny, it acquires history and becomes a part of their heritage. I think nobility was overthrown for a reason.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
I think nobility was overthrown for a reason.
This is talking passports/citizenship only: The American half of me is applauding. The Danish quarter of me is wanting to "bop" you good. The Swiss quarter is too aloof to comment.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is talking passports/citizenship only: The American half of me is applauding. The Danish quarter of me is wanting to "bop" you good. The Swiss quarter is too aloof to comment.

I prescribe a couple or seven akvavits to keep you from getting into trouble.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrGimpy
I prescribe a couple or seven akvavits to keep you from getting into trouble.
Good idea!

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I've nothing against nobility per se, and have a few friends who aren't too shabby for having purple blood. They can even stand a drink or two of akvavit and not fall down on their faces. Heck, some of them are even married to muggles. That said, the elitism that nobility represented for some things (e.g. you cannot do/wear something unless you had a title, or some such nonsense) is something that I do not condone. On some level, as a staunch advocate of meritocracy, it grates me when artificial constructs are placed for perfectly normal things. And worse yet, when the use of such constructs by the normal masses is looked down upon. Even the nobles were once cavemen.

Laurens

Reaction score
Ahh, the cheek of them muggles, eh? My great grandfather had a signet ring made -- not because he was of noble descent (he was not) -- but because he wanted to. Now, 3 generations later, the signet ring with the monogram of our family name is now mine. And it certainly has a history associated with it -- he had it made when he was a sailor in the East India Company and subsequently served in the Royal Navy, and he's had some interesting adventures and great stories. But since none of us are "patricians" by your definition, or even mere noblemen (you see, some of us were fortunate enough to be born in countries that have no titles), does that invalidate our ability to use said signet rings? After all, if I created a signet ring today and passed one on to my future progeny, it acquires history and becomes a part of their heritage. I think nobility was overthrown for a reason.
You can wear a signet ring if you want, I never said you could not wear one, I think it is cool that you have a sort of relic that has family history nevertheless, I just think it is silly to wear one, because it implies certain things; noble decent, patrician etc. In European countries like Denmark, France, Germany, the Netherlands and Swiss wearing a signet ring with a coat of arms that does not comply with the heraldic rules or a fake coat of arms is considered a faux pas in addition, according to etiquette you cannot wear a signet ring if it bears no coat of arms this is often mockingly called a “tile ring”. I may seem old fashioned now but that does not bother me, I like to stick to certain old values. Moreover, In French Signet ring is “une chevaliÃ
00a9.png
re”; this is derived from the word “chevalier” which means knight.
That said, the elitism that nobility represented for some things (e.g. you cannot do/wear something unless you had a title, or some such nonsense) is something that I do not condone.
I am not saying you cannot, I just think its weird/silly/ (whatever word pops in my head at that given moment and time) and I will frown upon it if I see it, in my head that is. I would never say it too anyone, It’s not my job to tell people what I think is right or wrong based on the old etiquette that few people still follow.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Even the nobles were once cavemen.
I know a few who still are.

Kslim

Reaction score
Former barista from Starbucks here. I want to share a funny story of mine: I was at the register ringing up customers while my female coworker was at the bar making drinks. A gay couple were up next and were deciding what they wanted to drink. I offered them suggestions such as white mochas, hot chocolates, etc. One guy asks me, "What's your name? How come you guys don't wear name tags?" Me:"Sorry, no name tags. So what would you like to drink tonight?" Him:"I'll take a white mocha, a tall.." Me:"Would you like that hot or iced?" Him:"Hot...I like it hotttt..." (Gives me this look that makes me slightly uneasy) Me:"Ok, a tall white mocha, that'll be $X.XX...." Him:"Do YOU like it hotttt?" At this point I glance over at my coworkers who has ducked down and hidden herself from view as she laughs quietly. Me: "I like it ICED!"
smile.gif

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I know a few who still are.

Spoken like a man in the know.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kslim
Former barista from Starbucks here. I want to share a funny story of mine:

I was at the register ringing up customers while my female coworker was at the bar making drinks. A gay couple were up next and were deciding what they wanted to drink. I offered them suggestions such as white mochas, hot chocolates, etc.
One guy asks me, "What's your name? How come you guys don't wear name tags?"
Me:"Sorry, no name tags. So what would you like to drink tonight?"
Him:"I'll take a white mocha, a tall.."
Me:"Would you like that hot or iced?"
Him:"Hot...I like it hotttt..." (Gives me this look that makes me slightly uneasy)
Me:"Ok, a tall white mocha, that'll be $X.XX...."
Him:"Do YOU like it hotttt?"

At this point I glance over at my coworkers who has ducked down and hidden herself from view as she laughs quietly.

Me: "I like it ICED!"
smile.gif

I think you left the funny part out. You were hit on by a gay dude, slightly flattered, and...?

Kslim

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I think you left the funny part out. You were hit on by a gay dude, slightly flattered, and...?

I wasn't flattered. I was uneasy. And the funny part was when I exclaimed I enjoyed my coffee iced after he asked me if liked it hot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads