1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who were some of your worst, rudest, and/or most ignorant customers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SuitMyself, Aug 22, 2010.

1. brandom

brandom Well-Known Member

Exactly -- that's why there is resistance to his stories on this thread. People who deep down believe they are stupid can't stand to hear stupidity exposed (i.e. ridiculed by definition) as it reminds them of their own failings. So they are trying to insult him and morally manipulate the conversation in order to silence him, and all reminders of their own failings.

I have a different experience than you. In my experience, most of the people complaining loudest about "stupid people" are usually pretty stupid themselves. Or maybe, narrow-minded is a better word. They see the world in a particular way, and dismiss anything that doesn't fit in there as being 'idiotic', when in reality it's just their own ignorance and lack of understanding/empathy showing through.

For example, playing devil's advocate, what if the "Italish suit" guy, who was obviously practicing English as a 2nd language, left because of the lack of response from the SA? This is entirely plausible, given that:

1. He was probably aware that his English wasn't very good, and thus not sure that the SA even understood him. It also explains him making the mistake of 'tuxedo' vs 'suit'.

2. That different cultures (and even regions) expect answers in different periods of times than others. He could have been pausing for what seemed like an eternity to him, and yet only seeing the smug/confused look on the SAs face.

So he repeats himself a few times, then gives up and leaves because he assumes the SA cannot understand him, or even worse that the SA doesn't want to service him because of some class/ethnicity superiority. So which person was the "stupid idiot" there? The SA, whose job it is to understand the customer and try to meet their needs (assuming they aren't outlandish) yet just stared at the guy until he walked off? Or the customer that made an attempt to show the SA exactly what style he wanted and to tell him what purpose it would serve? My vote is for the former on that one, although again, I'm playing devil's advocate and wasn't there to judge the situation.

And all that said, this is a very entertaining thread...so please keep the stories coming.

2. TurboBruce

TurboBruce Well-Known Member

People who deep down believe they are stupid

Are you speaking from experience? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. KingOfTheForum

KingOfTheForum Senior member

Background: The store was running an annual summer-time sale. Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.

Customer walks into the store with a BIG silly smile on his face. He blows right through the aisles and stops right in front of me. He grabs a box of multi-vitamins:

Him: (holding the box) Is THIS 50% off?
    Me: No, it's not 50% off. It's (whatever the sale price was)
    Him: (still smiling) Ooooh. OK. (Walks over to sexual health products). Which one is 50% off?
    Me: (walks over to him) None of those are 50% off either. They're on sale, but not half off.
    Him: (no longer smiling) Well, what's 50%? That's what the sign says.
    Me: We've got quite a few things on sale. Some of them are 50% off. The sign says UP TO 50%. So, it could be 10%, 30%, etc.
    Him: Ooooh. OK. Let me look.

I walk away. Eventually, he comes to the counter with a large bottle of multi-vitamins and a small bottle of the same product. I ring them up, and I read him the total.

Him: Wait a minute.....I thought this one was free (pointing to the smaller bottle)
    Me: (confused) What do you mean?
    Him: It says that I get this free.

(I walk over to where he picked up the bottle, and I pull off the sale tag. There's a problem. It says, "Buy 1, Get 1 Free," BUT the start & end dates for the sale aren't until two weeks later. The employee who put up the sales tags the night before hadn't been very observant)

Me: I see what the problem is. This sale doesn't begin until (whatever the date was).
    Him: What? Well, it's up, you should just give it to me free
    Me: Believe me, I'd love to, but if I did, I'd be out of a job.
    Him: How will they know? I'm not going to tell them
    Me: (Making a friendly joke & smiling) Well, if you can find another job for me, with the exact same pay and same benefits, I'll consider it
    Him: (I) Don't think you'd be qualified
    Me: (smiling, holding my tongue) The total is......
    Him: (Agitated) Well, why's the sign up if it's not on sale? That doesn't make sense.
    Me: (Agitated as well) When the signs were being put up, the employee must not have noticed that the date on this one (holding up the BOGO free sign) hadn't started.
    Him: (After a pause) .....You know that's false advertisement, right?
    Me: No. It's not false advertisement. The "from, to" dates on the price tag are clearly in the future
    Him: I know, but it's up. That's false advertisement
    Me: (not interested in debating with him) The total is (fill in the blank). I can't give it to you for free.
    Him: (Engaging me in a game of "chicken") Well, I'll just come back and buy it in a few weeks
    Me: Fine. (smiling) I'll see you then (pulls the bag of products away from his side of the counter)
    Him: .....No....I wouldn't do that. I should call in and complain about this.
    Me: Feel free. There's a customer service number on the back of the box.
    Him: OK...(writing the number down)....and, what's your name?
    Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information
    Him: You work here, what's your name?
    Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information (I flip my name badge backwards)
    Him: (walks away) OK, I'm going to call right now then
    Me: I'll bet

The number on the back of the box was for a product satisfaction survey. If he hadn't been an @ss, I probably would have given the product to him.

4. KingOfTheForum

Man walks into the store and huddles in the corner near the men's multi-vitamins. I can tell what he wants from the way that he looks down at his feet when female customers are in the area. I walk over to him, introduce myself and attempt to assist him:

Me: What brings you in today? (as if I don't know)
    Him: (almost whispering the entire time) I need the hard pills (LOL!)
    Me: (Puzzled expression)
    Him: Those pills that put you on hard, you know.
    Me: (holding back a laugh) You mean, sexual enhancement products?
    Him: Yeah, yeah, that's it.
    Me: (leading him to the correct section) Those will be right over here
    Him: Hold on....Gotta let it clear out over there first (there's a group of people in the area)
    Him: (the other customers walk away) OK. Let's see

I show him a variety of different products, and explain the different purposes and uses. One sparks his interest.

Him: This sounds like it will work! (he keeps grabbing his crotch, like he can't wait to use the pills)
    Me: (attempting to speed up the transaction) It sounds like what you want. Let me ring it up for you.
    Him: OK....Hold on (walks over to me).....You don't have to stop doing anything while you're using these do you?
    Me: What do you mean?
    Him: You know...You don't have to stop doing anything do you?
    Me: Oh. No, you can still exercise and take other supplements along with this.
    Him: No....I mean.....You don't have to....stop jagging off when you use this do you?
    Me: (laughing, I walk away)

That's a 100% true story

5. KingOfTheForum

A different day, a different customer (older man, probably late 40s):

Him: I'm looking for something to help me out down there
    Me: You mean sexual enhancement products?
    Him: Yeah. Where are those at?

I lead him to the correct section and show him the products. I answer his questions as best as I can without laughing. He notices Enzyte.

Him: Ooooh. I know that one.
    Me: The Enzyte?
    Him: Yeah, the Enzyte. That stuff seems like it works. I've got a few buddies that swear by that. They be going into the bathroom with rulers and s***
    Me: I've heard good reviews
    Him: Oh yeah? That's the one with the commercial that goes like (hums the theme in this commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cR5fY...eature=related ).
    Me: (laughing)
    Him: (continuing) ....where the wife has this big smile on her face (makes a big smile)....but I don't have a wife. I don't even have a girlfriend. I'm buying it for myself. I just wanna be able to feel it

Again, true story.

6. mondayc

mondayc Senior member

Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.
    Oh man. I wish ads would just change to "Shit's on sale." I had one guy come up to the register (probably a couple of months ago, but I still remember the gist of the dialogue). "Your total is..." Him: Wait a second. That shirt wasn't 50% off. I go to check and make sure the sign is accurate. It is not 50% off. Him: And these pants should be 50% off as well. I go to check that sign as well. It is not 50% off. Finally, he pulls out the sales flyer. Him: "It says right on the cover; "Thousands of items 50% off." Now you're telling me that nothing is 50% off?" Me: "Not in your cart, anyways." I point to a couple signs that are 50 or 60% off. "This is a big department store with far over thousands of items. Just last night I put away 1,200 towels." Him: *still not happy* "Well that's false advertising. Not only do I want everything 50% off, but I think I deserve something for this hassle. How about 50% off the sale price?" Me: "I wouldn't call it false advertising. There ARE thousands of items 50% off, but nothing you purchased had a 50% off sign. All of the prices are clearly marked on the tables and four-ways." Him: Bullshit. I want to talk to your manager. BTW, if anyone thinks SuitMyself is a huge douchebag to customers trying to rip the company, you should see my boss dealing with those customers. To summarize what she said "We put out sale toppers so people can see the prices they are going to pay. You should always trust a sign that mentions a specific product over an advertisement that doesn't make any mention of a specific product. If you really thought you would get an extra 50% for being a moron and ignoring the bold-printed "25% OFF" sign directly above the product, I really hope you realize what a stupid and irrational argument you have wasted my time with."

7. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I have a different experience than you. In my experience, most of the people complaining loudest about "stupid people" are usually pretty stupid themselves. Or maybe, narrow-minded is a better word. They see the world in a particular way, and dismiss anything that doesn't fit in there as being 'idiotic', when in reality it's just their own ignorance and lack of understanding/empathy showing through.

For example, playing devil's advocate, what if the "Italish suit" guy, who was obviously practicing English as a 2nd language, left because of the lack of response from the SA? This is entirely plausible, given that:

1. He was probably aware that his English wasn't very good, and thus not sure that the SA even understood him. It also explains him making the mistake of 'tuxedo' vs 'suit'.

2. That different cultures (and even regions) expect answers in different periods of times than others. He could have been pausing for what seemed like an eternity to him, and yet only seeing the smug/confused look on the SAs face.

So he repeats himself a few times, then gives up and leaves because he assumes the SA cannot understand him, or even worse that the SA doesn't want to service him because of some class/ethnicity superiority. So which person was the "stupid idiot" there? The SA, whose job it is to understand the customer and try to meet their needs (assuming they aren't outlandish) yet just stared at the guy until he walked off? Or the customer that made an attempt to show the SA exactly what style he wanted and to tell him what purpose it would serve? My vote is for the former on that one, although again, I'm playing devil's advocate and wasn't there to judge the situation.

And all that said, this is a very entertaining thread...so please keep the stories coming.

Mr. Italish Tuxedo was a young white guy in his early 20s who spoke perfect English and he was dressed in baggy "carpenter-style" jeans worn almost to the knees with his boxer shorts showing, a t-shirt (can't remember the colour), a light-coloured hoodie, tan suede workboots (the style that is popular with wiggers) and a baseball cap worn backwords.

Any other questions?

8. A-Mart

A-Mart Active Member

Background: The store was running an annual summer-time sale. Every product is on sale, UP TO 50% off.

Customer walks into the store with a BIG silly smile on his face. He blows right through the aisles and stops right in front of me. He grabs a box of multi-vitamins:

Him: (holding the box) Is THIS 50% off?
    Me: No, it's not 50% off. It's (whatever the sale price was)
    Him: (still smiling) Ooooh. OK. (Walks over to sexual health products). Which one is 50% off?
    Me: (walks over to him) None of those are 50% off either. They're on sale, but not half off.
    Him: (no longer smiling) Well, what's 50%? That's what the sign says.
    Me: We've got quite a few things on sale. Some of them are 50% off. The sign says UP TO 50%. So, it could be 10%, 30%, etc.
    Him: Ooooh. OK. Let me look.

I walk away. Eventually, he comes to the counter with a large bottle of multi-vitamins and a small bottle of the same product. I ring them up, and I read him the total.

Him: Wait a minute.....I thought this one was free (pointing to the smaller bottle)
    Me: (confused) What do you mean?
    Him: It says that I get this free.

(I walk over to where he picked up the bottle, and I pull off the sale tag. There's a problem. It says, "Buy 1, Get 1 Free," BUT the start & end dates for the sale aren't until two weeks later. The employee who put up the sales tags the night before hadn't been very observant)

Me: I see what the problem is. This sale doesn't begin until (whatever the date was).
    Him: What? Well, it's up, you should just give it to me free
    Me: Believe me, I'd love to, but if I did, I'd be out of a job.
    Him: How will they know? I'm not going to tell them
    Me: (Making a friendly joke & smiling) Well, if you can find another job for me, with the exact same pay and same benefits, I'll consider it
    Him: (I) Don't think you'd be qualified
    Me: (smiling, holding my tongue) The total is......
    Him: (Agitated) Well, why's the sign up if it's not on sale? That doesn't make sense.
    Me: (Agitated as well) When the signs were being put up, the employee must not have noticed that the date on this one (holding up the BOGO free sign) hadn't started.
    Him: (After a pause) .....You know that's false advertisement, right?
    Me: No. It's not false advertisement. The "from, to" dates on the price tag are clearly in the future
    Him: I know, but it's up. That's false advertisement
    Me: (not interested in debating with him) The total is (fill in the blank). I can't give it to you for free.
    Him: (Engaging me in a game of "chicken") Well, I'll just come back and buy it in a few weeks
    Me: Fine. (smiling) I'll see you then (pulls the bag of products away from his side of the counter)
    Him: .....No....I wouldn't do that. I should call in and complain about this.
    Me: Feel free. There's a customer service number on the back of the box.
    Him: OK...(writing the number down)....and, what's your name?
    Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information
    Him: You work here, what's your name?
    Me: I'm sorry, but that's private information (I flip my name badge backwards)
    Him: (walks away) OK, I'm going to call right now then
    Me: I'll bet

The number on the back of the box was for a product satisfaction survey. If he hadn't been an @ss, I probably would have given the product to him.

Why wouldn't you just give him your name if you did nothing wrong? And he's actually right. If the for sale signs are up, you have to honor the sale. for instance, if a $100 pair of jeans is on a rack that has a 'all items $19.99' sign on it, but the jeans still contain a $100 price tag, the store must honor the price advertised on top of the rack.

9. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Why wouldn't you just give him your name if you did nothing wrong? And he's actually right. If the for sale signs are up, you have to honor the sale. for instance, if a $100 pair of jeans is on a rack that has a 'all items $19.99' sign on it, but the jeans still contain a $100 price tag, the store must honor the price advertised on top of the rack.

Kingoftheforum says the signage listed which DATES the sale is good for.

10. brandom

Mr. Italish Tuxedo was a young white guy in his early 20s who spoke perfect English and he was dressed in baggy "carpenter-style" jeans worn almost to the knees with his boxer shorts showing, a t-shirt (can't remember the colour), a light-coloured hoodie, tan suede workboots (the style that is popular with wiggers) and a baseball cap worn backwords.

Any other questions?

Yes. If you're a salesman, why didn't you try to sell anything to him? This kid had a job and knew what he wanted, but was obviously ignorant of the basics. Why wouldn't you spend a few moments trying to educate him some, and maybe getting a sale out of it?

And if he was obviously far out of the price range of your store, what would be the harm in giving him 5 minutes of a basic lesson on what to ask for and pointing him to a cheaper place that would be more in line with his budget? This would be a classy move on your part, and maybe start a kid down a path towards not wearing the crap clothes he has on now.

Like I said, though...these are entertaining, so please keep them coming.

11. brandom

The customer was not right. He said that the sale sign clearly stated the dates in the fine print, so it was not 'false advertising'.

12. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

19.) If there is one thing I truly despise, it's customers who ask for a discount or something for free because they're buying so much.

Just how much "so much" is is subject to personal opinion, of course.

I remember one young guy (mid 20s) who was looking at buying one sport shirt but, in the end, he decided he wanted to buy two.

"Now, let's talk for a moment," he said.

Oh Christ, I knew what was coming next.

"I want to buy two shirts. Since I'm buying so many, what sort of deal can you give me?"

"You're buying how many shirts, sir?"

"I said I want two. These two."

"I thought you said you were buying many, not just two. Two is not many. Two is not a lot at all. I've had customers buy eight or more shirts at a time with two ties or more to go with each one. Two is not a lot."

Silence.

"I cannot give you any discount regardless of how much you buy," I said.

"Oh."

Silence.

"I think I'll just go with the one, then,"

"Okay. I'll fold it up for you and key it through."

I started folding up the shirt and wrapping it.

"Are you sure you can't give me a deal if I buy two?"

"I cannot give you any deal or discount even if you buy the entire store."

"Oh. Okay."

Stupid moron.

13. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Yes. If you're a salesman, why didn't you try to sell anything to him? This kid had a job and knew what he wanted, but was obviously ignorant of the basics. Why wouldn't you spend a few moments trying to educate him some, and maybe getting a sale out of it?

And if he was obviously far out of the price range of your store, what would be the harm in giving him 5 minutes of a basic lesson on what to ask for and pointing him to a cheaper place that would be more in line with his budget? This would be a classy move on your part, and maybe start a kid down a path towards not wearing the crap clothes he has on now.

Like I said, though...these are entertaining, so please keep them coming.

In my original post detailing this incident, the wigger walked out right after his spiel about wanting an Italish tuxedo. He walked in, gave his spiel, and then walked right out without so much as giving me an opportunity to say a single word.

Any other questions?

14. literasyme

literasyme Senior member

You really are one of the most impressive blowhards around here at the moment. Sure, that particular guy was a fool for considering two shirts "many," but whyever would it be inappropriate for someone buying a lot of items at full price to ask for some kind of discount? More to the point, what the hell could possibly be considered despicable about that? We all know most retailers are selling items at a very comfortable profit margin if tehy're selling at full price, and it seems perfectly reasonable to try to negotiate a bit if you're in the process of dropping a sizeable amount of cash.

15. brandom

In my original post detailing this incident, the wigger walked out right after his spiel about wanting an Italish tuxedo. He walked in, gave his spiel, and then walked right out without so much as giving me an opportunity to say a single word.

This is why I mentioned the different speaking patterns and the length of pauses that are expected. When someone is nervous, like say when a "whigger" kid walks into a snobbish suit store, it's magnified. Again, this is all playing devil's advocate, since I wasn't there.

Any other questions?

Yes, but I don't want to agitate you so feel free to ignore it: do you enjoy your job?

16. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

You really are one of the most impressive blowhards around here at the moment. Sure, that particular guy was a fool for considering two shirts "many," but whyever would it be inappropriate for someone buying a lot of items at full price to ask for some kind of discount? More to the point, what the hell could possibly be considered despicable about that? We all know most retailers are selling items at a very comfortable profit margin if tehy're selling at full price, and it seems perfectly reasonable to try to negotiate a bit if you're in the process of dropping a sizeable amount of cash.

It's like this: Why should one person pay a lower price for these items simply because he asked for a discount when another customer in another of our stores who buys the same items pay full price because he did not ask for a discount?

My point is this: If you give him a discount today, then who's to say what he will ask for tomorrow? Where--and when--will it all end?

Sure, today you can give him, let's say, 10% off his total . . . but how about next time? He'll ask for more next time because he knows he can twist your arm. What will you give him next time?

You know what I've said to customers? In a joking manner, I've said to them, "If you want a better price than what you're getting today, then get a job here and get the staff discount." The customers and I chuckle for a few moments over this and that's that. They understand what I mean and they accept it.

With all due respect, I don't mind if people ask for a discount. There's no harm in asking, right? BUT if I tell them there's nothing I can give them and they STILL pursue it, then I get pissed off and bring out the heavy artillery. Some of these customers will ask to speak with the manager to get a discount and I've always said to these people, "It doesn't matter who you speak to. The manager will tell you the same thing I just told you because the manager and all of us--the sales staff--follow the same set of policies given to us by our corporate office."

Think about it.

17. brandom

It's like this: Why should one person pay a lower price for these items simply because he asked for a discount when another customer in another of our stores who buys the same items pay full price because he did not ask for a discount?

My point is this: If you give him a discount today, then who's to say what he will ask for tomorrow? Where--and when--will it all end? Sure, today you can give him, let's say, 10% off his total . . . but how about next time? He'll ask for more next time because he knows he can twist your arm.

Think about it.

I'm confused. Did you lie to him, and you actually do have the ability to give a discount?

And if you do, and if you are paid on commission, why would you not entice him to buy a 2nd shirt with some discount (5, 10, 20%) that still makes you & the store more money? That would seem to be worth the burden of having to worry about him trying to twist your arm on some future deal.

Crap. There are more questions. I promise I'll shutup soon, but this thread is addictive.

18. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Yes, but I don't want to agitate you so feel free to ignore it: do you enjoy your job?

YES, I DO!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I absolutely love it to pieces! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It gives me such immense joy and meaning and spiritual enlightenment!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for asking!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. brandom

YES, I DO!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I absolutely love it to pieces! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It gives me such immense joy and meaning and spiritual enlightenment!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you for asking!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now THAT is a salesman. [​IMG]

20. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

I'm confused. Did you lie to him, and you actually do have the ability to give a discount?

We DO NOT, CANNOT, and WILL NOT give discounts of any sort, period.

And if you do, and if you are paid on commission, why would you not entice him to buy a 2nd shirt with some discount (5, 10, 20%) that still makes you & the store more money? That would seem to be worth the burden of having to worry about him trying to twist your arm on some future deal.

Crap. There are more questions. I promise I'll shutup soon, but this thread is addictive.

What about integrity? I have my integrity. Some people don't. But I do. And I intend to keep it until the day they dump my dead body into the dark cold hard earth.