• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who was your first client?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Learn how to listen. be interested in what they are saying. They are going to lead the conversation you go with it. Think about who you like to talk to and why.

Sarah745

Reaction score
So if you are approached after someone more senior for you personally has remained speaking on their behalf about ****, there's not necessarily any expectation that you just be capable of can be found in and shoot the **** together afterwards. You're just the fundamental level guy transporting it your seniors wouldn't like to do.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, the main processor in our office who dealt with closing and pushing out paperwork to our vendors once a client commits took a month long vacation that started today.

It took me almost the entire day to finish 3/4 of an application, 1 for each client. On top of that I am calling up all existing clients for reviews and/or scheduling meetings and getting prospects to commit.

I cannot believe I have to go through 4 weeks of this and I feel like it is my first day on the job again. Actually, the former is a lot harder. The latter was a breeze and I enjoyed giving people a courtesy call. Paperwork sucks especially when you have incomplete information and a) You ask the CEO who really as no clue and/or thought everything was already delegated b) You blindly fill in the app and hope that nothing is wrong so it does not get bounced back. Both situations suck. I wish people who went on vacation would at least finish their task.

I stayed in the office an extra 1.5 after everyone had left already. I have 6+ applications that need to be sent out already on top of projects that need my attention.

Wish me luck.

/rant

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^****** man, I'm stuck doing some BS work right now myself

Learn how to listen. be interested in what they are saying. They are going to lead the conversation you go with it. Think about who you like to talk to and why.

Yeah this helps a ton. Also just go out to a few random gallery openings or charity events and talk to random "intimidating" people. May be awkward but you probably won't see them around again and it's great practice on how to deal with a variety of different people.

Not doing any business related networking right now so conversations are pretty easy in general, but this still helps.

Last edited:

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is to lead the conversation with your instructions. Dont talk about weather or other small talk BS. Be all business. If any conversation comes up, be natural but dont force it.

Always talk to another man eye to eye (or slightly lower- though that's not as necessary if you aren't in sales or negotiations).

Basically, don't suck up to him or be awkward because he has a lot of money.

You should see him as an equal or less. He should see you as an equal or higher.

He's just another man and you need to treat him like one. Stay professional but dont go out of your way to bow down to him or be too formal/polite.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads