1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who tips at starbucks?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Leo Jay, Oct 7, 2004.

1. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

The most ridiculous thing I ever saw was a pizza delivery guy delivering pizza in his Hummer H2 - and trust me, this guy wasn't the owner.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Banks:

It's funny you actually said that, I actually was involved in an altercation with a pizza delivery person who took exception to a tip I gave him (which wasn't especially small either, like 12% or something) which was generous considering he wasn't on time.

I would disagree that tipping is not expected in Europe. In my time living in various places throughout the continent, I've seen that it appears most servers expect tips of 5-8% which is much lower than we give in the US, but still substantially more than nothing. In Asia, gratutities are not expected.

3. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

I worked at a cafe after college and made $2000 in a year and a half saving my tips from the tip jar.  I used it to travel to Myanmar, Thailand and Laos for five months.

4. petescolari

petescolari Senior member

I usually follow a basic rule when I am getting coffee. If I order a cup of coffee, I don't tip them every time they pouring me a cup of coffee. Usually I throw the quarter change in the tip jar every couple of times I go there. On the other hand, when I order a coffee drink which requires them to prepare and individually make to my order (which is rare), then I will tip them accordingly.

One morning I ordered a large coffee at my usual spot on the way to work. When I went to pay, I realized I didn't have any money. Willie who usually works the morning said the coffee was on him that day.

Was it the good karma from tipping in the past or did he give me the free coffee b/c I was a regular customer?

5. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Senior member

Question, would you tip the McDonalds cashier? It's about the same thing is it not, and for that matter, why tip the Domino guy, he makes plenty on the pizza, and now they got rid of the 30 minute thing, he does not care how long it takes, and don't get me wrong I believe in tipping for good service, but please, not a cup of coffee, next thing you know the girl making the sandwinch at the Wild Bean Cafe' at BP will want a tip too.

6. Andrew V.

Andrew V. Senior member

7. Leo Jay

Leo Jay Senior member

In NY State, food service employees who are eligible for tips (I don't know whether 'Buckers technically fall into this category or not) have a minimum wage of $3.30, vs. the regular State minimum of $5.15.

8. Style guy

Style guy Well-Known Member

What I hate is when the rest of the staff split the tips equally, I think this is wrong, I mean one waiter/waitress serves me, so why should everyone else get some of my money? They didn't serve me at all or have any contact with me and yet I am supposed to give them money that they didn't earn? This is why I don't believe in tipping.