Who takes public transit?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Davidko19, Jan 17, 2009.

1. JSC437

JSC437 Senior member

I agree that NYC transit is good. You dont usually get any problems in Manhattan. If you are in the outer regions and late at night then maybe u can get into some $hit. But that would be out near Coney Island, Far Rockaway, 6 train, Broadway Junction, etc... As long as other people are on the train, you are perfectly safe. Same with the bus system. And NYC transit is so convenient although there is about to be a huge price increase.

I took the train in LA and found it to be kind of weird. Seems like it does not have good coverage of the city (relative to NYC).

Boston train system is good.

London transit is good... but the train/tube/whatever closes too early. I went to a club and had to take a bus back to the place i was staying.

[​IMG]

2. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

Yes...but because I still don't have a driver license. Toronto transit was very decent at least time wise, here I probably spend about 2 hours a day traveling/waiting for the bus when I could make the same trip under 30 minutes by car.

One thing always puzzled me and that is how Indians managed to carry on the smell of their cooking in all it's glory on the train. Do they hotbox the kitchen IN their outwear and then run towards the metro?

3. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

That video is hilarious. Sad too. That is the shit that scares me about the trains.

Ive been on NYC and it was fantastic. Clean, safe, good hours,etc. Kind of the romantic notion i was talking about. Although most tourists only go through the yuppie areas in manhattan so yea, they would make it nice there.

LA is whack. I think this one trip was the exception, but 2 cops came on our car and actually asked for tickets. Dont think that happens too often though. THere are sheriffs in some cars and on the stations, so it is relatively safe.

The times it runs is awful. If I want to take it up to a lakers game or hollywood or something I dont think it runs past 11 or something. The coverage is awful. Its almost all through the hood, which equals skeezy people on board. I come from Long Beach and go north through the hood. There is an actual stop in Compton. Jesus...

4. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

Far Rockaway was a little scary for me.

5. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I rode NJ Transit and the NYC subway almost every day for 3 years during law school. There were the usual hiccups from time to time, but all in all, it was pretty enjoyable and efficient.

6. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Ride public transit almost daily, it is mostly OK. I guess they're trying to develop light rail here but for the time being it is just bus.

7. Homme

Homme Senior member

The public transport system in my state is really poor.

Trains are
    Old (most in service are > 20 years old)
    Hot (the old ones have no air-conditioning ... awesome when packed on a 39 C day)
    Constantly late
    Always over-crowded.

8. hyperjedz

hyperjedz Member

You'll get used to riding the train. but if your destination is just a few blocks away, maybe you could just use bikes.

9. Johnathan

Johnathan Senior member

poor people

black bum

[​IMG]

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I enjoy the few times I get to use it. I think it's because I've always been a rabid people watcher. If I see something strange, it gives me a lot to think about.

11. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

I ride in London all the time.

Rarely when I lived in Atlanta though. With a few exceptions public transportation in the US is crapola.

K

12. MagV

MagV Well-Known Member

I ride this to work:

[​IMG]

Public transport in Melbourne is ok, it seems really good for someone who grew up in a smaller city with only buses. Trams rock, but the trains suck, and its the daily past-time to bitch about it. Probably the same for all cities.

Overheard on a tram, two young girls taking:

13. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Damn, I thought I was quite fluent in English.

Nice of her to repeat herself.

14. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

^^I take MARTA too.
    And also Athens Transit, now that I'm in Athens.

15. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

Margaret Thatcher famously once said something like any man over the age of 25 who has to rely on public transport can consider himself a failure.

I can't really afford to run a car, so save myself from failure by walking everywhere.

Public transport has its problems here in the UK (always overpriced, often overcrowded) but in general is pretty good.

I got the train from Philadelphia to Boston a few years ago, and that was a pleasant experience.