• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like a strange animal. Most told me: "you know, you have can lose the suit"

To which, I usually answered: "I actually enjoy it"

It admittedly often sent a presumptuous vibe but that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to be who I was (maybe a presumptuous prick, after all).

Yeah, this was the vibe and response I got in the last office I worked. I noticed some individuals looked uncomfortable when I would come to a meeting wearing a suit. There attitudes changed as they got to know me but it still leaves an impression on you. I now stick to sport coats and only wear suits for high level presentations or meetings.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this was the vibe and response I got in the last office I worked. I noticed some individuals looked uncomfortable when I would come to a meeting wearing a suit. There attitudes changed as they got to know me but it still leaves an impression on you. I now stick to sport coats and only wear suits for high level presentations or meetings.

That's still okay if you can wear sportcoats without this sort of reaction, not everyone is this lucky :p But people tend to get used to it. Most people I work with now are sort of used to the fact I wear shirts/wool sweaters instead tshirts/hoodies.

For me its uncomfortable especially at first, since there may be a cultural difference when commenting on looks. In Poland people somewhat feel you are interested in their opinion about your looks so they are direct about it, in fact often rude. I understand in USA/UK people are less direct and let you live more- at least it seems to me that is the case. Uncomfortable part is when they try to humorously slight(probably often not consciously) a bit and you are left with uncomfortable dilemma; should I ignore it and not respond or should I fire back with some edgy humor myself. None of which is really a great option.

Last edited:

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was 100% my opinion of suits in the early 2000s. The overwhelming majority of people around me that wore suits were people that needed (usually desperately) something from me. That's no longer the case. Now that even those people are dressing more casually, the only people around me in suits are those that want to be.

I view it similarly. The people wearing suits these days (especially here in ultra-casual San Francisco) are doing so because they are choosing to. I personally enjoy the relaxation of the business attire norms and am grateful the suit is much less of a uniform, and much more of a personal stylistic choice. Of course, the suit still connotes a level of dressing up, traditional formality, and I believe conveys respect for the people/event that one interacts with while suited.

I see a good deal of the younger gent workforce in SF who obviously enjoy wearing suits as it's doubtful their employer or profession really requires it. Suit Supply in SF does a fairly robust business I believe - at least it has survived in the ultra-high-rent Union Square district - for a number of years now.

In my workplace, few men wear sport coats or dress(ier) shoes. It's great to have the freedom to dress up or down, although I rarely wear a suit. The last time I did so was because I was attending the opera that evening, and I definitely got some questioning remarks that day from coworkers.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think it makes sense to fit in, somewhat, in the environment you work in; especially at first.
You can start being 'one notch' above the dreck..sorry, 'average'.
Once they know you, you can go another notch.

REST OF THE OFFICE = crocs, tees, sweats . . . . YOU = jeans, 'casual' shirt, camp mocs
REST OF THE OFFICE = sneakers, tees, jeans . . . YOU = chinos, BD shirt, loafers
REST OF THE OFFICE = chinos, polos . . . YOU = odd jackeet/trousers, smart shirt w/o tie
REST OF THE OFFICE = 'smart casual' . . . YOU = tie but maybe not very seerious suits, normally
REST OF THE OFFICE = ugly suit w/o tie . . . YOU = nice suite+tie

If people ask, I think it's best not to sound haughty but just be sincere: "I'm kinda into clothes" or "I actually enjoy smart clothes" or something like that

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suits are the great equalizer. Everyone around me wears them and it just levels the playing the field, allowing for a formal attitude and a focus on the task at hand without the distractions of everyone being dressed differently. Nice sport coat and dress pants acceptable as well.

Sounds stodgy I guess but it seems weird to me to be in a meeting with some folks in suits, some in jeans, some in khakis, etc.

I love the sense of confidence I get with a smart suit, good tie and shoes. Even the interns look like they belong as long they have a suit that fits.

Last edited:

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last company was fairly formal but went through a dramatic casualification over a year. One snarky person remarked to a person wearing a suit:

"Why the hell are you dressed like you're going to a bank?"
"Because I have a meeting with the CEO of a bank."
"Oh."

Coffandcig

Reaction score
Suits are the great equalizer. Everyone around me wears them and it just levels the playing the field, allowing for a formal attitude and a focus on the task at hand without the distractions of everyone being dressed differently. Nice sport coat and dress pants acceptable as well.

Sounds stodgy I guess but it seems weird to me to be in a meeting with some folks in suits, some in jeans, some in khakis, etc.

I love the sense of confidence I get with a smart suit, good tie and shoes. Even the interns look like they belong as long they have a suit that fits.
...as long as they have a suit that fits.

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the great thing about suits. It's a uniform. Once you have things dialed in, you don't need to think too hard about things like "Do these shoes go with those pants?" and "Is this formal/informal enough?" or "What is everyone else going to wear?" I can think about other things instead.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I view it similarly. The people wearing suits these days (especially here in ultra-casual San Francisco) are doing so because they are choosing to. I personally enjoy the relaxation of the business attire norms and am grateful the suit is much less of a uniform, and much more of a personal stylistic choice. Of course, the suit still connotes a level of dressing up, traditional formality, and I believe conveys respect for the people/event that one interacts with while suited.

I see a good deal of the younger gent workforce in SF who obviously enjoy wearing suits as it's doubtful their employer or profession really requires it. Suit Supply in SF does a fairly robust business I believe - at least it has survived in the ultra-high-rent Union Square district - for a number of years now.

In my workplace, few men wear sport coats or dress(ier) shoes. It's great to have the freedom to dress up or down, although I rarely wear a suit. The last time I did so was because I was attending the opera that evening, and I definitely got some questioning remarks that day from coworkers.

And that is the difference between San Francisco and Seattle. In San Francisco, suits are a possible choice because style is a thing some understand. There is no style in Seattle. Suits are not an option.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8BB100B1-1026-4C59-8139-C47791B214B7.gif

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that is the difference between San Francisco and Seattle. In San Francisco, suits are a possible choice because style is a thing some understand. There is no style in Seattle. Suits are not an option.

Wow, I knew Seattle was casual...and like SF, "style" is all over the place. I have family roots in Issaquah, and yeah, I guess dressing up is maybe wearing bolo tie with your flannel shirt and fleece vest. So what are the bankers and attorneys wearing day to day?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, I knew Seattle was casual...and like SF, "style" is all over the place. I have family roots in Issaquah, and yeah, I guess dressing up is maybe wearing bolo tie with your flannel shirt and fleece vest. So what are the bankers and attorneys wearing day to day?
I dunno about attorneys.... but what’s a banker? It’s all digital banking. Seattle is dominated by tech companies

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads