• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone that went to college south of the Mason-dixon line or grew up in an affluent southern neighborhood knows the fleece vest has been ubiquitous since the mid oughts.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
New poll up

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a fleece vest?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BBA4D0D3-7633-44FC-B5D8-F2CF65BF6186.jpeg

Picked up new summer suit in Minnis Fresco. Really like it. Will likely wear it tomorrow with the vest as it will be rainy all day and not too hot.

I love wearing CM to work.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Look at the poll results of this very thread. Consider why this thread exists in the first place! It is no longer the norm to wear a suit in many workplaces.
The thread title and the poll asked the wrong question and the discussion took that up on the last few pages: Today there are very few jobs which require suit and tie and that definitely includes my and most other office job profiles at least for the last twenty years. The more relevant question is: Are you officially punished for wearing suit and tie at work? And for me and most other office workers the answer is: Nope.

Of course the traditional business dresscodes are slowly fading away. And now people react very differently to it: There are some who conjure up new dresscodes out of thin Patagonian air just to be able to conform further to something as part of an imagined group. Many wear sportcoat, chinos, jeans, swimshorts, whatever instead. And a few others like me still wear suit and tie and are fine with it. So there is more freedom and less conformity (at the surface) in the office. Sounds not too bad.

The bad part for some is that it becomes more and more difficult to show the world that you are an important master of the universe just because of the nice clothing you wear. But is that really that important? If yes the sad fact is though that the fleece vest will never have the traditional and social-historic foundation to be a proper replacement of the suit in that matter. I would rather say that that is generally a good development for the society.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once worked a British colleague who wore suits. He was the type of guy that was not afraid of spending money. He was about the same age as our American team lead, maybe a little older (40s). He was told to lose the tie one morning. That felt depressing how he was told he was overdressed.

But the American got fired not too long after as one partner (very rightfully so) thought he was a pain **********.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads