• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Premise of this thread is for smalltimers. Real men dress themselves and dress appropriately and harmoniously for the occasion. What has changed is social standards. Anything goes today in such an individualized culture. What surprises me is how much conformity to a way of dressing occurs in the pursuit of individualism.
Even one of my better dressed clients is wearing sport jacket and tie instead of a suit to NBA games.
One could argue going to a ball game is not the occasion for neither odd jacket and tie nor suit.

aj805

Reaction score
My work doesn't require me to wear suits, and I only wear them on rare occasions such as weddings or court appearances. However I do wear tailored clothing often, with a sport coat when out on a date or other social functions. I've done this as a way of helping promote a sense of decorum, which I believed would add to social experiences. Recently however I have come to realize that it probably has the opposite effect.

I believe that the whole concept of "decorum" is being lost, that many people probably do not understand what it is or see any value in it. Today's culture is basically antithetical to the idea--respect for heritage, propriety and convention are no longer considered virtues but instead shadows from an antiquated, oppressive society. When I go out in my coat and tie, to some extent I am essentially speaking a dead language, which is of course not the intention.

It is curious because we can look around the world at examples of others wearing traditional clothing and it seems to so positively convey a respect for themselves and their heritage--kaftans or the saris worn by women in India, for example. These are gorgeous clothes, and they are in stark contrast to our Western love for change and fashion.

jayvee

Reaction score
I am flabbergasted by the ‘mid-town uniform ‘ fleece gillet abomination. Everyone knows NY leads the world in trends so I can only assume I’ll see it everywhere soon enough.

Maybe this is the latest evolution of the suit? Hats have gone, ties have largely gone, overcoats have gone, double breasted jackets have gone and now the humble single breasted jacket is on the way out.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In academia, an interest in clothes is looked down on cause it shows you're not focused on your work (and clothes are superficial, making them worse than having an interest in sports or something). But even in academia, if you do good work, it'll shine through. If you have a sense of humor about yourself, you can take the punches and jokes when people rib you for your clothing.

Tell me about it. But after a while they get used to it. Having said that, I've been introduced as a speaker as "the best dressed [field] in Europe", which I don't think was a compliment. And in general there's still a little more tolerance for oddballs in academia.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tell me about it. But after a while they get used to it. Having said that, I've been introduced as a speaker as "the best dressed [field] in Europe", which I don't think was a compliment. And in general there's still a little more tolerance for oddballs in academia.
Meh, Steven Seagal was Yale's "most highly decorated professor" in Out For a Kill.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I was growing up, this is how guys in fleece dressed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am flabbergasted by the ‘mid-town uniform ‘ fleece gillet abomination. Everyone knows NY leads the world in trends so I can only assume I’ll see it everywhere soon enough.

Maybe this is the latest evolution of the suit? Hats have gone, ties have largely gone, overcoats have gone, double breasted jackets have gone and now the humble single breasted jacket is on the way out.

Well, Silicon Valley was the originator, but yes, NYC is now the key catalyst.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why is the concept of team participation in corporate environments so foreign and confusing to you guys? It's not so different as it is in sports.

Kilo11

Reaction score
I wonder if you can still use iGent phrases while wearing a vest. Like, can you say: "I just took delivery from Patagonia." "Well done, sir. Wear in good health."

You won't be able to use "sartorial", "elegant", and "Patagonia" in the same sentence.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if i wear my patagonia vest over a t shirt. is that still considered mid-town uniform? it gets cold in office...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads