• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
italians: the best dressed in the world

Last edited:

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
ready for his meeting with Juicero 2.0

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
when your client would find a suit offputting, but you want to show your pents

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Power suit.

SmartSelect_20190610-195928_Chrome.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sport coat is rare. Would be less so if I weren’t covering tech.

Yes, I really do wear the vest. To some extent, it’s a team participation thing.
What about the Aldens?
Are you able to fold them in your daily work rig or do all five identical pairs now sit unworn and forgotten in the back of your wardrobe?

BXpress

Reaction score
As a German I have to say, Berlin beyond the government districts must be one of the worst spots for tailored clothing worldwide, much worse than the rest of urban Germany. And that is mostly because it is one of those places where everyone is proud of these low standards as an indicator of anti-conservative modernity, executed in the typical way of conservative defensive conformism without getting the irony in it. If we wonder what the future holds for us after Patagonia fleece vests replaced suit and tie then we all can take a look on Berlin and savour its youthful messy exuberant ... monotony of ill-dress without any clue whatsoever.

But even there you can walk in tailored clothing without any issues. When you see two well-dressed guys on a stroll there they will usually be Italians though. ;)

There are too many people in Berlin who think they should be entitled to wear whatever they want, when ever they want, no matter the occasion. To them, the slightest form of criticism of their sloppy ways makes you a snob-fascist. No where else have i seen that attitude more prevalent.

Just yesterday, i was checking Restaurant reviews, because the owner of a rather exclusive place has invited me and my GF. So i was curious. In one of the reviews, a woman down rated the Restaurant, because her boyfriend was berated by the manager for wearing flip flops. A small, seemingly meaningless example (i can tell you of quite a few others), but it's really telling.

And the guys weren't Italian, it was one German and one East Asian guy.

jjacks

Reaction score
With fleece blanketing much of midtown Manhattan, what organizations still have a business formal dress code for the majority of its employees? I think it would be interesting to create a list on this thread.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that's what pays the bills at Cifo.

@TheFoo

So what do your eminently "well fleeced" colleagues wear in the dead heat of Manhattan summer? Has Patagonia invented a summer linen or fresco version? Conformity (TeamWear) has its place but I suspect one has to draw the line somewhere, no?

Alan Bee

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo

So what do your eminently "well fleeced" colleagues wear in the dead heat of Manhattan summer? Has Patagonia invented a summer linen or fresco version? Conformity (TeamWear) has its place but I suspect one has to draw the line somewhere, no?

Alan Bee
Come on Frère Alain, you read the man earlier. The back of his neck may be getting dirty and gritty, surrounded by people looking half dead, but at night it's a different world, dressed so fine and looking so pretty.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a German I have to say, Berlin beyond the government districts must be one of the worst spots for tailored clothing worldwide, much worse than the rest of urban Germany. And that is mostly because it is one of those places where everyone is proud of these low standards as an indicator of anti-conservative modernity, executed in the typical way of conservative defensive conformism without getting the irony in it. If we wonder what the future holds for us after Patagonia fleece vests replaced suit and tie then we all can take a look on Berlin and savour its youthful messy exuberant ... monotony of ill-dress without any clue whatsoever.

But even there you can walk in tailored clothing without any issues. When you see two well-dressed guys on a stroll there they will usually be Italians though. ;)
Berlin has a de facto ban on CM. But it’s the most fun German city to be in.

bluesman528

Reaction score
Berlin has a de facto ban on CM. But it’s the most fun German city to be in.
It is entertaining, I agree. Beyond the facts that its commercial influence is very limited, that the Berlin citizens are relatively poorer than they are typically in a capital of a developed country and that Berlin does not even have a real international airport it is the only city in Germany for me which feels like an international metropolis.

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is entertaining, I agree. Beyond the facts that its commercial influence is very limited, that the Berlin citizens are relatively poorer than they are typically in a capital of a developed country and that Berlin does not even have a real international airport it is the only city in Germany for me which feels like an international metropolis.
Well, u can’t expect much from the former divided city to immediately become the hub of commerce and industry. Most of the German economy decamped to the Rhur valley to be near Bonn. I like Tegel because it’s so small. Have you seen the monstrosities of CDG and Heathrow, especially CDG terminal 2A->infinity. But Tegel is showing it’s age. Anyway Berlin is Super fun and the cheapest capital city in the developed world, save Lisbon or Athens.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads