• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hot, humid, and raining here in DC. Saving summer suits for when it's really hot. Don't want to go there too early.

Hard to wear rain coats around here. Just end up sweating in them. Better just to carry an umbrella and get a little wet.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Hot, humid, and raining here in DC. Saving summer suits for when it's really hot. Don't want to go there too early.

Hard to wear rain coats around here. Just end up sweating in them. Better just to carry an umbrella and get a little wet.

I am a few hours south and ******* kill me. :)

at least my commute doesnt involve the metro with summer tourists standing on the ******* LEFT SIDE.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Describes Fresco in glowing terms. :fistbump: Some of the overall recs are a bit too Southern Trad, though.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's fantasy and then there's real life. People wear uniforms for work. That uniform has changed. If your situation allows you to operate without consideration of workplace norms or client expectations, that’s great for you--but it is not reality for most of us, I suspect.

My interest in tailored clothing never had anything to do with needing work clothes. It was just icing on the cake that I could also use it that way.

That said, my take on tailored clothing has evolved a bit. I find that most of us have veered too closely to looking like people who sell clothes, rather than people who know how to wear them well.

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's fantasy and then there's real life. People wear uniforms for work. That uniform has changed. If your situation allows you to operate without consideration of workplace norms or client expectations, that great for you--but it is not reality for most of us, I suspect.

My interest in tailored clothing never had anything to do with needing work clothes. It was just icing on the cake that I could also use it that way.

I don't believe you actually wear them. You probably just like shopping.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't believe you actually wear them. You probably just like shopping.

I actually abhor shopping. Haven't I shared enough of my unfortunate experiences online to illustrate that?

But it's true that I wear my tailored clothing far less frequently these days. Recent orders have focused on refining existing pieces, replacing things that have worn or, or adding staples I'd previously ignored. In the end, I'll have a simpler, more concise wardrobe. Nobody needs a dozen brownish tweed jackets.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Side thought about working clothes; those CEOs who force their workers to wear majority polyester shirts, 50$ dollar suits etc. Should be all be impaled./hanged by the balls. After war in Yemen this is like nr2 human rights crisis we face. Also hard to blame people for never wanting to wear suits and shirts after PTSD inducing stuff you can see in malls/banks etc.

BXpress

Reaction score
Oh come off it. The average European dresses as ****** as the average American, maybe worse. Look at Germany. Jeezus.

I can confirm this. I live in Berlin since 92 and most people over here dress like they put on whatever they grabbed first from their closet...in the dark. People don't seem to have any style whatsoever, let alone CM. I think i once saw two young guys in well fitting odd jackets and non matching tie+ps on a stroll. I was amazed. If you guys think you belong to the 1% in your country, let me tell you that you would be the 0.01% over here.

Of the office people virtually 100% look like they grudgingly wear suits because they have to, with no regard for even the most basic things like trouser length or simple colour rules. I'm talking about Dark Charcoal suits with tan shoes, and the ever present shiny light blue tie or shiny pink tie.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Side thought about working clothes; those CEOs who force their workers to wear majority polyester shirts, 50$ dollar suits etc. Should be all be impaled./hanged by the balls. After war in Yemen this is like nr2 human rights crisis we face. Also hard to blame people for never wanting to wear suits and shirts after PTSD inducing stuff you can see in malls/banks etc.

wtf

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can confirm this. I live in Berlin since 92 and most people over here dress like they put on whatever they grabbed first from their closet...in the dark. People don't seem to have any style whatsoever, let alone CM. I think i once saw two young guys in well fitting odd jackets and non matching tie+ps on a stroll. I was amazed. If you guys think you belong to the 1% in your country, let me tell you that you would be the 0.01% over here.

Of the office people virtually 100% look like they grudgingly wear suits because they have to, with no regard for even the most basic things like trouser length or simple colour rules. I'm talking about Dark Charcoal suits with tan shoes, and the ever present shiny light blue tie or shiny pink tie.

I seriously don't understand what it is inside someone's brain that sees the shiny blue or pink tie and is like "ohh, yes, so shine, so beautiful."

What derangement inside the brain makes someone actually like that dross?

Also - will confirm, last time I was in Berlin most people were dressed fairly poorly. The people who looked more put together, on the male side of the specturm, were almost all wearing nice casual. Guys in suits looked pretty bad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics