• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

jjacks

Reaction score
With even investment banks such as Goldman Sachs adopting a more casual dress code, companies with formal business attire as the daily standard seem about as common as ones who offer defined benefit pensions, at least in the US.

Who here works somewhere that requires a suit and tie the majority of the time (casual Fridays excepted)? What do you do for a living? I haven't found any study that answers this question, and I'm curious to know who the remaining few are.

This is my first time posting, so please let me know if there is a similar thread.

BXpress

Reaction score
I wish i had a job that requires a suit. My colleagues already give me weird looks when i come into the locker room in suede shoes and a v neck+shirt. Like "you have an appointment after work"?

jjacks

Reaction score
I wish i had a job that requires a suit. My colleagues already give me weird looks when i come into the locker room in suede shoes and a v neck+shirt. Like "you have an appointment after work"?
+1. I used to work somewhere that required formal business attire and then transitioned to business casual. Most people welcomed the new dress code, but it felt like a major downgrade to me. I still dressed up, but then I developed a reputation as "that guy that wears a suit". The thing I miss the most is the ability to wear all kinds of neck-wear and collars without being judged first and foremost by my style of dress.

Evergreen88

Reaction score
I work in IT consultancy in London. At the office everyone is very casual, I still wear a shirt every day, with chinos or jeans. In this period with a sport coat a couple of times a week and never with a tie.

When I am out seeing clients I always wear a suit with tie.

BXpress

Reaction score
The thing I miss the most is the ability to wear all kinds of neck-wear and collars without being judged first and foremost by my style of dress.

How about Cardigan-shirt-tie combo?

Tbh I wouldn't even wear that to my own work place. But to be fair, i work in production for a well known German car brand (brake disc department) so that means i wear work/safety clothes anyway. So my outfits go as far as home to locker room and back. Seeing how people react to v neck-shirt and moderately polished Derbies I'd rather not wear any form of neck wear. And yes i know, "who cares what they think" but you can't completely ignore your surroundings.

jjacks

Reaction score
A cardigan and dress shirt would be okay; it's the tie I find that's the issue unfortunately. For some reason, a lot of people have emotional hang-ups with neck-wear, which I don't understand. The day and age of "the man" forcing you to wear a tie is long gone.

BXpress

Reaction score
A cardigan and dress shirt would be okay; it's the tie I find that's the issue unfortunately. For some reason, a lot of people have emotional hang-ups with neck-wear

That seems to be international. I was at the gym recently. Afterwards i talked to the owner. We were chatting about hobbies and all that. I showed him some pictures and he was totally amazed and as far as i could tell kinda shocked that i wear ties... i showed pictures of me in suits. Another colleague asked me for advice on what suit to buy and what to pay attention to. A week later he showed me pictures of a wedding and him wearing that suit (won't comment or judge it). All the men there wore suits, and no one wore a tie. People have a wrong perception when it comes to ties. I find that ties are a great way of expressing some individualism when it comes to formal wear. If anything it's quite the opposite of "restricting monotony".

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I manage a software development team at a large consumer electronics company in Cupertino, California. I wear a suit to work once or twice a week.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lawyer in the mid-South. Suits to court and other times as the mood strikes. Odd jacket and ties most other days. Starting about June through Labor Day, if no client meetings I’m apt to leave jacket and tie at home. That’s when seersucker and linen get a lot of use, even at the office.

Rush

Reaction score
I work in financial services focusing on car dealerships. For client meetings and corporate headquarter visits I'll wear a suit or sport coat. After a relationship has been formed with the dealer, I start to "dress down" without a tie and/or removing the jacket from the mix.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work in private label clothing doing operations. Completely casual dress code. I wear a sport coat and chinos or jeans most days. Ties sometimes. This already makes me by far the best dressed person at the company. Occasionally a suit (always with a tie) - this elicits many comments of surprise and complements usually. I don't dare wear 3 piece usually.

It really is sad. It the only reason I wish I had stuck with law sometimes - that they get to wear suits.

bc78

Reaction score
I'm an attorney who has to be in Court frequently, and sometimes unexpectedly, so I almost always wear a suit to work. On days I know I will definitely be in Court, I wear a white shirt and black shoes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads