• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 103 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 266 72.1%

• Total voters

Louis Forde

Reaction score
Teacher here.

Most days, I wear a sports coat and tie with flannels. The jackets that I own certainly wouldn't be considered workwear in the most traditional application of the term. For want of a better description, they feature rather bold patterns.

I wear suits as and when I feel like it. Mostly, once a week or less. However, I only have two suits that would be considered 'business suits'. I had both made for me at the very beginning of my career when I made a brief foray into the private sector. The school that I work at has a number of ceremonial events throughout the year when such attire is appropriate, as such they get an airing on these occasions. I also have a large collection of vintage tweed/country style suits. I wear these quite regularly. Granted, they look far more casual than your traditional business suit.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
The fact of the matter is if you have to wear a suit then you have to wear a suit. Lawyers just can't stop wearing suits to court. They are a uniform like a soccer jersey. They have their place and can be worn other places but a suit is designed for a purpose: to have an official look. That's it. Change the pattern or material doesn't change the look drastically. A suit is a suit. Investment banker or Jos A. Bank salesman both wear suits. It's for the look. If you wear a suit to work in any industry in 2019 then at some point it was mandatory. If it was never mandatory to wear a suit in you job then you never considered wearing a suit to said job at all.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The suit and tie was the entry card to proper society. However, the idea of propriety has eroded. Society views everything as normal and acceptable. If almost everything is acceptable and nothing is improper, then what is proper? Why wear a suit and tie? Why wear a suit and tie for your co-workers?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I look good in a suit.

Seriously. I don't look good in anything, but I look as good as I'm going to in a well tailored suit. It's flattering to the average male physique in a way athletic wear is not and, if you get a suit and shirt that fits, it is very comfortable.
Men of all shapes and sizes can look good in a suit. The great equalizer.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a good point about how men look good in suits. It forms such a nice silhouette when properly tailored or even at least the right size, and the aura of at least trying to look good should give one a pass in most situations.

even non-suit jacket like say leather or m65 that is nicely fitted makes a man look bigger and more athletic, most men don't look their best in a t-shirt with no outer clothing

Moose22

Reaction score
It's a good point about how men look good in suits. It forms such a nice silhouette when properly tailored or even at least the right size, and the aura of at least trying to look good should give one a pass in most situations.

It isn't just the silhouette, either. The V of the closed coat is a pretty big deal. A coat hanging unfastened is OK, too, though the V is the most slimming. Masculenizing. The lapels mirror it, and it all leads to the shoulders and that's why such construction details exist on a suit coat.

I have some motorcycle leathers where the colors on the legs go out at an angle headed up from the crotch to the waist, and the colors on the top also go out at a 45 degree angle down from the neck. It's a design for a big sponsor logo, so I get why my the guy did them that way, but they are the opposite of flattering. It doesn't matter on a skinny little italian racer, but on a barrel chested man that shape accentuates the belly area. Makes it look huge. I joke that it's my care bear costume with the big white belly and that I should get a sponsor logo that's candy canes or a rainbow or something.

Layering and appropriate lines hide how big my shoulders and belly are compared to my hips and ass. There's a drape that obscures the awkward bumps and abrupt transitions. So, yeah, the silhouette is also a lot better. Even an open leather jacket over a t shirt does this if it fits well at the shoulders.

The trend to athletic and leisure wear may be great for young people and fit people, but those of us who are softening up with middle age can sure use that lovely white V a coat makes over a shirt to our benefit.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Teacher here, as well. I don't have to wear a suit to work but I wear one because I enjoy wearing a suit. In addition, I believe in looking professional and setting a proper example for my students. Considering that most of the staff is part of the jeans and t-shirt crowd, I stand out. And that's okay. As a teacher, I hate when teachers say they aren't treated as professionals but don't even bother to dress like one. Not necessarily even a suit and tie but just business casual. Anyway, an example where this has bit our admin ********** is we have a spirit day where students are to dress in professional attire. They, of course, show up in jeans and t-shirts (their regular clothes), and simply state we're dressed like teachers.

As has been said, I do feel that suits make me look better than in most other clothing. By now, most of my colleagues are used to me always wearing a suit (at least 3-4 days a week) and find it more noteworthy when I forego a suit and come dressed like "them."

JJ Katz

Reaction score
In practice, most men look terrible in suits because most suits are terrible and most men don't know how to wear suits. It's true that it's easier to look good in a suit than casualwear, but a suit is not some magical thing.

not magical, no, but definitely helpful, on average. Just yesterday I saw a chap that was well overweight, far from young, etc. but he was in a basic dark suit, tie, etc. combo and he just looked better, more put together than almost everyone else there.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I wear a codpiece

codpiece.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics