• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Outside of designated casual periods (e.g. casual Friday), my job requires a jacket and tie?

• Yes

Votes: 97 28.4%
  • No

Votes: 245 71.6%

• Total voters

Bromley

Reaction score
A tracksuit is a suit, too.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My company has always been business professional attire - shirt and tie for men, jacket not required, but is somewhat common, especially for managers. I pretty much always wore a suit. If I didnt wear a suit to work, I don't know when I would. If I am traveling, I'll wear a suit for dinner or to a cocktail bar, but it qould generally be looked at oddly if I wore a suit out to dinner around here.

~ H

Ben W

Reaction score
I work from home, which in many respects is great. I could not be dressed most days and nobody would know or care. But I do feel like I'm lacking an outlet for this hobby.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
In consulting, suits were worn daily, with tie or without, depending on clients. Most colleagues actually had black suits and white shirts (mostly German ones).
Then, when I joined a media group, it was VERY casual. Some colleagues were even wearing football jerseys at the office. Most people wore jeans and a polo/shirt. I went for suits/odd jackets with a tie most days because I enjoyed it and we had a free dress code.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In consulting, suits were worn daily, with tie or without, depending on clients. Most colleagues actually had black suits and white shirts (mostly German ones).
Then, when I joined a media group, it was VERY casual. Some colleagues were even wearing football jerseys at the office. Most people wore jeans and a polo/shirt. I went for suits/odd jackets with a tie most days because I enjoyed it and we had a free dress code.

How did they perceive or treat you when you first joined the office?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Suits are the uniform of the powerless now."...is a pretty bold statement.
That was 100% my opinion of suits in the early 2000s. The overwhelming majority of people around me that wore suits were people that needed (usually desperately) something from me. That's no longer the case. Now that even those people are dressing more casually, the only people around me in suits are those that want to be.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
How did they perceive or treat you when you first joined the office?
Like a strange animal. Most told me: "you know, you have can lose the suit"

To which, I usually answered: "I actually enjoy it"

It admittedly often sent a presumptuous vibe but that wasn't my intention. I just wanted to be who I was (maybe a presumptuous prick, after all).

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Observer (UK) weighs in on the debate:

Great read

The "toilet situation" ;) described here is very common in corporate setting.

If I put on my favorite beige jacket with off-white chino and linen shirt(no-tie at all) I get asked whether I am going to interviews and looking for another job. Sometimes a nice shirt is enough to provoke that question. Also it is kind of amusing when a colleague is confused why men shoes click when you put heal on the ground - it's like he never wore anything else other sneakers in his life.

Some of the remarks are mean spirited though, some men feel the need to knock you down a peg with these comments. So I guess there's still some perceived value in nice formal clothing(by standards of SF they would count as informal though).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 74 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 144 32.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 130 29.7%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.4%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.6%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 8 1.8%