• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

who should rock the chalk

Pariolino

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
And that makes you what, smart? No wait, now I remember, it makes you well bred.

fgbheader.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
Interesting commentary on chalk stripes, FNB. I agree that they can be stylish and bold, which is why I'm interested in their perception. I still am not sure if they are more bold-sporty or bold-serious, but maybe it just depends on the person and context.

I am pleased you enjoyed it. Again it depends on the time/place/manner and the accesories you choose. They have an air of elegance for upscale afterhours places and can look even more so if you choose things that dont say office, maybe more colorful/textured shirts or ties.

I didn't realize they are considered popular right now because they are still so much less frequently seen than pinstripes and beaded stripes.
Although i always wonder about the prudence of wandering around streets counting something to gauge its popularity, I would say that the chalk stripe has a definite acceptance that it hadnt had for a long time hitherto.

You see them on a lot of different news commentators, white house press people and Bill O'Reilly! If theyre wearing them, they test acceptable in the US.

I also think you should put pictures of a couple of the chalk striped suits from your closet (or trash heap?) up to go toe to toe with manton's. Not to up the ante in this non show down, just to contribute to forum knowledge

i am in competition with no one. I simply post my thoughts, the same as any other poster here. If this threatens anyone, or creates an impression of competition, that is neither my concern nor my responsibility. I know you understand.
smile.gif

I have a couple of examples posted on my site. probably you would want to look at them there. Considering the low cover charge and a couple of the resulting unfortunate guests, posting photos here would not 'suit" me.
wink.gif

chewy

Reaction score
I just wore my blue chalkstripe today. I'm trying to get in as many wears before the weather warms up. It's one of my favorite suits.

I'm a mid-level lawyer. It makes me feel older, but not in an inappropriate sense of not dressing my age. More experienced is probably a better expression. At any rate, I feel awesome in it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Considering the low cover charge and a couple of the resulting unfortunate guests, posting photos here would not 'suit" me.
wink.gif

Wow, you just sink lower and lower. I though well bred rich people had better manners than to insult their hosts?

I do, however, admire the audacity of the owner of a site for populated by piss drinkers, anti-Semites, stalkers, and other bile-spewing lunatics to criticize the quality of posters on another site.

DandySF

Reaction score
How well do pin and chalk stripes work once the time clock's been punched and the sun has set? I've seen some assertions that pinstripes are best reserved for daytime engagements. Is this just a musty old rule? Or, do stripes strike a false note after dark?

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Wow, you just sink lower and lower. I though well bred rich people had better manners than to insult their hosts?

I do, however, admire the audacity of the owner of a site for populated by piss drinkers, anti-Semites, stalkers, and other bile-spewing lunatics to criticize the quality of posters on another site.

well...reading your book is more enjoyable than this

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
How well do pin and chalk stripes work once the time clock's been punched and the sun has set? I've seen some assertions that pinstripes are best reserved for daytime engagements. Is this just a musty old rule? Or, do stripes strike a false note after dark?
I think they do relatively poorly outside the office, despite the opinions of others here to the contrary. To my eye, they are a strictly business suiting. You can try to accessorize it to look more casual or sociable, but it will only look like that is what you are trying to do. That said, people often go to dinner or drinks from the office. That's life. You aren't going to change out of your suit because it is a chalkstripe.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's this Manton v's FNB thing going on? I have to say I find it very amusing. I think one of these two needs to stop taking himself to seriously and the other needs to stop mischeviously baiting the other one. Come lads it's only clothes...
laugh.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
What's this Manton v's FNB thing going on? I have to say I find it very amusing. I think one of these two needs to stop taking himself to seriously and the other needs to stop mischeviously baiting the other one. Come lads it's only clothes...
laugh.gif

Yes, but--which is which?
devil.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I think they do relatively poorly outside the office, despite the opinions of others here to the contrary. To my eye, they are a strictly business suiting.

You can try to accessorize it to look more casual or sociable, but it will only look like that is what you are trying to do.

That said, people often go to dinner or drinks from the office. That's life. You aren't going to change out of your suit because it is a chalkstripe.

I think that this is why I stoped wearing chalk stripes - I didn't find them versitile enough. I can't really afford to have suits that don't cross over between applications.

that said - I think that chalk stripes can look extremly good. in my mind, they should always be DB.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF

It really depends on where you, what you are doing and where. I think especially in the NYC at least, the chalk stripe can be as versatile for afterhours as for work. I am not speaking of throwing a ball around in the yard but rather going to a nice restaurant or bar. I like them with a lively harvie and hudson style shirt and a bright tie. I think youll find they are relatively hip because they were once eschewed by the more curmudgeonly part of our suit wearing past.

Pin stripes can also work if they are the heavy beaded variety because at a distance they look like a chalk or rope stripe. I suppose the same could be said for double or triple track stripes, one needs to look at this on a case by case basis.

The standard "American" pinstripe is probably better suited for the office.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
It really depends on where you, what you are doing and where. I think especially in the NYC at least, the chalk stripe can be as versatile for afterhours as for work. I am not speaking of throwing a ball around in the yard but rather going to a nice restaurant or bar.

I disagree, and I'm someone who loves flannel chalkstripes (I have a few in DB). While its a great business suiting, I can't really imagine wearing one to a social setting (unless I'm headed right after work).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think they do relatively poorly outside the office, despite the opinions of others here to the contrary. To my eye, they are a strictly business suiting.

You can try to accessorize it to look more casual or sociable, but it will only look like that is what you are trying to do.

That said, people often go to dinner or drinks from the office. That's life. You aren't going to change out of your suit because it is a chalkstripe.

I agree, and that points up one more difficulty: chalk stripes look their very best on flannel, in DB. And yet, these are two items that mix awkwardly with a work environment.

Of course, there is always the sort of restaurant that is filled by people who just finished work. A steak house, perhaps? In such a place, chalk stripes look terrific.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
I agree, and that points up one more difficulty: chalk stripes look their very best on flannel, in DB.
Agree
And yet, these are two items that mix awkwardly with a work environment.
I disagree. Maybe my radar is not well calibrated, but I am perfectly comfortable in DB at work.

Of course, there is always the sort of restaurant that is filled by people who just finished work. A steak house, perhaps? In such a place, chalk stripes look terrific.
Probably true, but who wants to eat there?

Truth be told, most good restaurants, at least in NY, are filled with people who just finished work. They differ in the kind of work and what they were doing there or whether it is the first or second (or third) stop of the evening. Or so I recall.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree. Maybe my radar is not well calibrated, but I am perfectly comfortable in DB at work.

I'm wearing one today--3 pc!-- but I still run the self-edit before heading in this way. Force of habit. If I'd worn them every day in my 20s, neither I nor anyone else would think twice about it. The point on flannel stands. I will occasionally wear a grey flannel suit, but I always worry about how the knees will look by dinner. Oddly enough, I always get the most compliments on that one.

Truth be told, most good restaurants, at least in NY, are filled with people who just finished work. They differ in the kind of work and what they were doing there or whether it is the first or second (or third) stop of the evening. Or so I recall.

Perhaps that should be amended to "people who have obviously just finished work." There's a slightly different atmosphere, not necessarily one to seek out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads