• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who should review the Crittendon?

riverrun

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
True, Mariano R. does not sew, but the sewing there is still very good. When you get to that altitute (of quality, not price necessarily) the sewing is pretty much all very good. Especially in Italy.

So you're saying R's premium isn't for his tailoring but for...brand recognition? The Italian equivalent of Thom Brown charging 3x what Ciccarelli charges because you get the "Thom Brown" label sewn in your jacket?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How many top tailors are one man operations and do the sewing themselves?? I don't understand the argument you are making.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by riverrun
So you're saying R's premium isn't for his tailoring but for...brand recognition? The Italian equivalent of Thom Brown charging 3x what Ciccarelli charges because you get the "Thom Brown" label sewn in your jacket?

No, the premium is that the sewing is as good as the very best tailors, and better than all the others; the cut is unique to the house and very flattering (assuming you like the style); Mariano's taste is excellent; and his skill as a fitter is superb.

No question the suits are expensive, and you can get a great suit for a lot less. But I don't think he's ripping anyone off, or even close.

The Thom Brown/Ciccarelli comparison is not really apt because the Rubinacci garment is way better made that Ciccarelli (not that I have anything against Ciccarelli), it is truly bespoke, and it is being made by tailors who work with you in person and overseen by someone with about the best eye in the business.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
How many top tailors are one man operations and do the sewing themselves?

I have used such a tailor in the past, and as much as I like the clothes, I have to say that another tailor I use, who only sews a portion himself and leaves the rest to employees and outworkers, does a finer job with the needle.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like somehow I should respond, but I don't really have anything to say. Yes, they are expensive, but I like them and am more than happy to pay the prices given what I have seen from alternatives around the world at prices higher and lower, and given that I like to travel to Italy. Do I pay for his name? Perhaps, but I prefer to think of it as paying for his service. Either way, I am happy.

Edit: I suppose that I could say that they are made by xxx xxxxxx tailor who cuts or sews them, but that would hardly give anybody any information.

riverrun

Reaction score
No, it's cool Manton, you can just come right out and call iammatt a label-whore if that's what you think. No need to pull a FNB and conceal your barbs.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No, it's cool Manton, you can just come right out and call iammatt a label-whore if that's what you think. No need to pull a FNB and conceal your barbs.

rolleyes.gif

riverrun

Reaction score
Well played. I admit I didn't see that coming, but I'd still love for the record to reflect some credit for my assist.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are paying in the top dollar range of bespoke and you don't think your tailor is the best for your needs, you are a fool for using said tailor

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
riverrun, one thing maybe worth noting, is that maybe .01% of even the suit buying population is aware of the Rubinacci name. I think label whores tend to concentrate on brands that people have heard of, and that they can brag about. If someone complimented your suit at a Manhattan party and asked where you got it, and you said "Rubinacci," you'd get a blank stare.

slycedbred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I think label whores tend to concentrate on brands that people have heard of, and that they can brag about.

+1

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Edit: I suppose that I could say that they are made by xxx xxxxxx tailor who cuts or sews them, but that would hardly give anybody any information.

Except that any one of those guys could probably go out on his own tomorrow and make a very good living, and even build up a following on the InterWebs.

riverrun

Reaction score
I hesitate to cut this off before I can offend more forum fixtures (was angling to draw socal into the insanity with the Thom Brown comments, although now we'll never know if that would have worked). To clarify, I think matt's Rubinacci is among the most uniformly exceptional stuff posted in the WAYW thread (or should I say exceptionally uniform? no, that's another joke; the commitment to understatement, piped seersucker aside, is right behind cut and cloth in terms of reasons I admire it). I do appreciate the bottomless depths of everyone's earnestness in responding to my increasingly ridiculous wind ups. I thought comparing Manton to FNB would make clear my irony, but maybe there's some latent anxiety about their similarity that I tapped into? :ducks:

So.....how 'bout that Crittendon?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So.....how 'bout that Crittendon?

Who knows? The tester doesn't have it yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads