• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who sells fancy suit lining?

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a nice suit lining with a pattern to it (preferably car related). Something in a nice lining. Anyone know where i can purchase something like this? I've been looking for it but no one seems to sell it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Car related? No.

The best fancy lining books are the ones from Richard James Weldon and Porter & Harding. They are mostly sold direct to tailors and can be hard to get at retail.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chipp used to do a huge business with fancy linings, and they would use either Liberty scarves or foulard tie fabric.

I don't know where you could expect to find good lightweight silk, but maybe a tiemaker like David at Sam Hober would have some leads. Or inventory.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a customer right now, he wants something car related or something like etro's lining, i've tried a few tie manufacturers but they don't sell their silks. Solids I can get but having trouble with patterns i've seen them out their but have no clue where to get them.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You could buy 33 x 33 inch silk scarves which could be used to make the lining. It would take two, I believe. All you would have to do is find car-themed silk scarves. The silk may not be as durable as that typically used in linings, however.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You could buy 33 x 33 inch silk scarves which could be used to make the lining. It would take two, I believe. All you would have to do is find car-themed silk scarves. The silk may not be as durable as that typically used in linings, however.

There is another factor at work besides durability. Silk is softer that the bemberg usually used for linings and usually you need to mate it with a soft jacket fabric that wont fight or wear the silk out. Cashmere, silk and cashmere and 150s fabrics and up are safe bets for silk linings.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
You could buy 33 x 33 inch silk scarves which could be used to make the lining. It would take two, I believe.

Yes, two. Allows for book-matching the back.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
maybe a tiemaker like David at Sam Hober would have some leads. Or inventory.

I think that the Thai shot silk at Sam Hober would make a great lining.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carl,

Gave them a call and they were very helpful hopefully its what the customer is looking for.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I think that the Thai shot silk at Sam Hober would make a great lining.
I was planning on doing that with some red-dark red shot silk but when I went to pre-shrink it, it bled so much that I was reluctant to use it and opted instead for a Porter & Harding paisley lining.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I was planning on doing that with some red-dark red shot silk but when I went to pre-shrink it, it bled so much that I was reluctant to use it and opted instead for a Porter & Harding paisley lining.
Hi Cantabrigan, I remember the silk order from August of last year that you are talking about. I am sorry to hear that your project did not work out as you planned. Working with hand-woven silk can be an advanced exercise which in retrospect is best left in the hand of experienced hand-weavers, tailors and seamstresses, and I certainly should have provided more cautions for you. Personally, I have a jacket made from handwoven Thai silk that also has a handwoven Thai silk lining which looks great and never has any problems. Going forward I will advise our clients that our silk only be dry-cleaned which should resolve any issues. Also as soon as I have the time I will take all our handwoven silks off of www.samhober.com and transfer them to www.sangdao.com a website that I am slowly building that will have a focus on Thai silk and yarn. At the moment we are only selling bleached degummed silk yarn, but one of our friends wants to make and sell a range of dyed silk yarn. I also have on the drawing board another new website www.necktiesupplies.com which will target the hobbyist tiemaker. I will supply many types of silk (including English, Italian and Irish silks) and wool interlinings, and perhaps patterns. Meanwhile, it will be my pleasure to give you some new Thai silk as a replacement that you can use in the future, dry-cleaning only of course... I will email you also in case you don't see this post, so that you can choose the color that you would like. Thanks again for your feedback it is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any updates on places online or in NYC to buy interesting linings for suits?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads