• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes this Barney Stinson tie?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zj

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Canada you can buy Brooks Brothers shirts 3 for $220. I don't know of a deal better than this for someone starting out. Especially if you wait for a good sale, say 40% off.

If you really are minimum wage and money is that tight, you can find stuff cheaper but you will sacrifice a lot on quality. ie. The Bay

I would avoid ordering on-line until you know what fits and what you want.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
If you haven't gone into stores and try on their shirts, it maybe difficult to judge what will fit well so I'd recommend going into stores and finding out what fits.

If money is tight, then I would lower your budget. Find good value for your money first. Some brands will charge more based on their brand name and not quality.

Also - I wouldn't worry too much about what others think how expensive your clothing may be. Try to make it about your own style and personality.

ktrp

Reaction score
Other ideas to add to the above:

Maxwell's tailors swings through Toronto twice a year. While I realize they're not of the quality some on this forum enjoy, mine have been fine, fit well, and generally have good pattern matching at the sleeves etc. They start at $135 for three made to measure shirts (they measure you here, make them in hong kong). There are other online services you can read about in other threads. While Maxwell's are not the best shirts in the world, when I started owning some, I stopped wearing every other shirt I owned ... I realized they were all tents.

Harry Rosen's store at king/bay is, I believe, still holding a 30-50% off sale on some shirts that started a week ago. That's probably slightly higher then what you were quoting - I picked up an Eton shirt for about 130. It was a contemporary fit - not too bad, but frankly doesn't fit me as well as the (1/3 the price) maxwells, though the fabric/buttons are better.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say get one of those $19.99 made-to-measure shirts from Modern Tailor? What do you have to lose -- it's a $20 shirt!

bjornb17

Reaction score
I am really enjoying the Charles Tyrwhitt slim-fit shirts. They are 3 for $149 and would be a big improvement over what you have.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fd

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
I'm 6 feet 1, 135 lb, 36" chest. What would be the best material for a shirt? I find shirts that are too thin conform to my chest and it doesn't make me look good. Is thicker or stiffer fabric better for me?

thinner fabrics are closer knit weaves.They feel more soft to the touch, but will wear out more quickly. ALso wrinkle in the wash so they require an ironing.

Thicker fabrics will last longer, and slightly more wrinkle resistant. They are quite hot in summer. I prefer something in between for where I work (australia)

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
I'm 6 feet 1, 135 lb, 36" chest.

Christ on a popsicle stick.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ more like Christ AS a popsicle stick.

Iroh - hmmm, My advice is check out Brooks since htey have a super slim fit and there's a good deal or fit them on and buy for cheaper from the states. Otherwise H&M's cut might work for you and their black label line (better quality) is like $50 each. start there... Otherwise just buy something that fits your neck and shoulders for cheap like Sears or the Bay and get it tailored somewhere cheap for like $15.

jnm23q

Reaction score
Not being funny but 135lb?? I am a skinny runt at 5'9'' and I weigh 165 pounds, 16''.

You need a maker that does small neck sizes with longish sleeves. I am not a massive fan of the Jermyn Street mob; but I would look at Harvie & Hudson, Hawes & Curtis and Charles Tbag. They're not the greatest, but they're decent, cheap and have the range of sizes that you would need. It sounds like you might need a weird combo like 15'' neck with 35'' sleeve. You'll be looking at around USD50 per shirt.

If you have a Mike Tyson neck size you're up a creek and will need a custom made shirt.

red dragon

Reaction score
Is it just me or should someone with 300 posts have a better understanding of dress shirts....

Jussssssssssaaaaaayyyinnnnn'

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by red dragon
Is it just me or should someone with 300 posts have a better understanding of dress shirts....

RED DRAGON!!!

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by red dragon

Doesn't mean they were all on Mens clothing.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads