• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes these Shipton & Heneage "Burford" double monks?

Bartolo

Reaction score
Are these Crockett & Jones? They are on sale for $325 and I'm thinkin' about them:

p-burford-che-300.jpg

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, I believe the Burford is made by C&J, perhaps to BG standards (others will have to confirm). If you browse Shipton's selection, you'll notice they usually have 2 models for each style. E.g. the semi-brogues include the $375 Winchester which appears to have a C&J toe medallion, while the $295 Harris looks like Sargent. I believe those are the 2 makers of current Shipton shoes.

Avebury

Reaction score
They stock C&J, Sargent and Cheaney:

Albemarle brogue = C&J
Bingham = C&J

Kelso / Selkirk = Sargent

Pennine = Cheaney

kev777

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not just ask them they are actually very forthcoming and nice people to deal with ??

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kev777
Why not just ask them they are actually very forthcoming and nice people to deal with ??

I've never dealt with them before, but yes good idea thanks!

JCachot

Reaction score
The people at S & H are great. They are very honest. Often their prices are less than the brands who make for them. I have many pairs of Shipton & Heneage shoes. They are the best shoe store in London!

BareSolid

Reaction score
I've emailed them about Sargent. Apparently Sarge have been dropped because they take the piss and don't deliver the shoes on time, so a lot of the cheapest shoes on Shipton are made in their Italian factory.

coolshoes

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
Are these Crockett & Jones? They are on sale for $325 and I'm thinkin' about them:

p-burford-che-300.jpg

I have this exact shoe from Shipton & Heneage and it is made by Cheaney. I own a half dozen Edward Greens and I love each and every pair. But I love the S&H Burford as well. The catalog and on-line photos of the Burford do not do it justice. The color and antiquing are superb! And I find the fit for me to be sublime. I only bring up the EGs because that is the bar I judge from. I could have ordered an EG Westminster, but EG doesn't do a brown anything like the shade of the Burford ... and that was the color I wanted for my double monks. I am totally satisfied. They are incredible for the money!

fox81

Reaction score
I only see the tan ones on sale. this colour is full price at 249 gbp

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fox81
I only see the tan ones on sale. this colour is full price at 249 gbp

You have to put the item in your "basket," and when you check out the price updates. I had to email S&H to get that straightened out.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score
Shipton Heneage also uses Grenson. Here's an email exchange I had with them in July:

My inquiry:

Hello,

I was wondering if you might be able to tell me the maker, last # and width of the shoes listed below? I am interested in purchasing them but would like to be sure of the fit (I have tried on many C&J and Sargent shoes in the past for reference). Thanks very much.

http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/s...rd-4944-0.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/b...rd-1832-0.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/b...lf-4849-0.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/b...oe-5017-0.html
http://www.shiptonandheneage.co.uk/b...oe-5018-0.html

S&H Response

Dear Mr [xxxxx],

The Sherbourne and Blandford are both made for us by Crockett & Jones and are an E fitting. The latter 3 you mention are made for us by Grenson and are also an E fitting.

I hope this is helpful,

Regards

James Cookson
Web sales

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads