• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the stuff from Barney's at the Downtown Crossing Filene's Basement?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who makes the stuff from Barney's? There's a bunch at Filene's Basement Downtown Crossing, and I was wondering if there was anything interesting. I picked up a grey cashmere scarf but couldn't figure out who made it before being labeled Barney's.

How are Gran Sasso cashmere sweaters, too?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, I was there yesterday looking at some suede oxfords. Barney's House Brand aggravates me for exactly this reason. There's no way of knowing who the actual source is. I, for one, am wary of trusting logos: "Well, if Barney's put their name on it..." No Thanks.

Associate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Haha, I was there yesterday looking at some suede oxfords. Barney's House Brand aggravates me for exactly this reason. There's no way of knowing who the actual source is. I, for one, am wary of trusting logos: "Well, if Barney's put their name on it..." No Thanks.

Haha, I was there yesterday as well! Found a brown suede Polo belt (made in England) that looked very nice for $39.

With Barney's house label, my rule is simple: don't touch pants, dress shirts or shoes. They are all equally bad. In accessories, you might find something interesting sometimes. The original price might be a good indicator for quality - a Barney's scarf that originally cost twice as much as another probably comes from a better maker or is of higher quality Isince it's not branded, Barney's price should be a direct indicator of cost to them). Otherwise, you really have to judge quality for yourself.

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a made-in-Italy shirt from Barney's that is well-made, looks great, and has held up well.
Can't speak to the other items mentioned, but I'll buy 10 more of those shirts if I get the chance.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you can get decent house label shoes, if you are very careful. I picked up a pair of suede moccassin toe bluchers that are very light, and have been useful this summer. Granted, they were around $35, but that should last two summers. I think they were originally around $300.

Associate

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I think you can get decent house label shoes, if you are very careful. I picked up a pair of suede moccassin toe bluchers that are very light, and have been useful this summer. Granted, they were around $35, but that should last two summers. I think they were originally around $300.

My experience with Barney's shoes goes 3-4 years back. I bought two pairs for $30 to 60 each. Those that were selling originally in the $150 range were truly unwearable rubbish - hard and nasty. Those that were originally in the $250 range were nice looking and decent to wear, but the quality was really sub-par considering that $250 will get you AE. For example, the sole was made of multiple layers of thin leather glued together, like plywood (plyleather?). After a few wearings, you could see rings in the worn areas, like in a cut-down tree.

Barney's wool pants that I bought had a cheap plastic zipper that at one point started to come apart spontaneously. For $100, I would say it was abad deal.

The dress shorts are not bad, but are nothing special either. For $30 or so they're not a bad deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads