• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best mens dressing gowns for winter?

rsum

Reaction score
... In the UK or US? Price range 500 - 2000... Or higher?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have a bespoke shirtmaker, you can get a bespoke dressing gown made for less than what you'd pay for high-end ready-to-wear. For winter, I have a dressing gown made from grey windowpane Fox flannel fabric. You can buy the fabric from The Merchant Fox's website. About five years ago, Budd still had a small box of hand-knotted tassels. According to them, the last woman to produce hand-knotted tassels retired, and they had the only box left (this was at least somewhat confirmed to me when I called other British bespoke shirtmakers).

If you want something ready-to-wear, you can buy dressing gowns from Daniel Hanson, The Merchant Fox (made by Budd), Budd, Turnbull & Asser, Emma Willis, Derek Rose, Anglo Italian, and Charvet.

My winter gown looks like this

tumblr_inline_pggybtuP9T1qfex1b_540.jpg

If you can find hand-knotted tassels, they look like this

tumblr_inline_pggxztdeWr1qfex1b_540-1.jpg

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to have a rtw by Huntsman. I have one by Budd.

I want to like Emma .... but some years back I had an appointment regarding a bespoke order I wanted to make with her. I went in with a friend in tow from an appointment with our tailor. Maybe because it was two of us she was confused. She was talking to a man who entered before us so we started looking at some rtw shirts. Almost at once she scolded "I can't be bothered with browsers, I have a client." I think she confused the browser with me. We left. I hope she made a sale.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lumping robes and gowns together here.

I made the mistake of buying a wool robe. It's highly likely you'll end up wearing it with just a t-shirt, and it ends up being pretty itchy.

Looking back, I would've been more satisfied with cotton in a nice fabric and design.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I'm lumping robes and gowns together here.

I made the mistake of buying a wool robe. It's highly likely you'll end up wearing it with just a t-shirt, and it ends up being pretty itchy.

Looking back, I would've been more satisfied with cotton in a nice fabric and design.
I also have a wool, basically unlined (only back of shoulders, NOT sleeves mysteriously) dressing gown - I don't understand why they don't line them (or barely, which is maybe even worse as it just make it more expensive to "unline" and reline).
Although, it still wouldn't help versus the highest offender, which is the collar (the neck being more susceptible to itchy wool, which is also why I don't like wool turtlenecks).

That said, I am not sure what you mean by difference between dressing robe and dressing gown. Unless you mean a bathrobe?
Or you mean a smoking jacket, i.e. basically a jacket-length version of the gown?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a wool, basically unlined (only back of shoulders, NOT sleeves mysteriously) dressing gown - I don't understand why they don't line them (or barely, which is maybe even worse as it just make it more expensive to "unline" and reline).
Although, it still wouldn't help versus the highest offender, which is the collar (the neck being more susceptible to itchy wool, which is also why I don't like wool turtlenecks).

That said, I am not sure what you mean by difference between dressing robe and dressing gown. Unless you mean a bathrobe?
Or you mean a smoking jacket, i.e. basically a jacket-length version of the gown?
I didn't even think of the lining, great point. I may have this done by my tailor now, thanks for the idea.

Yes, absolutely the neck is the worst part.

I recently ventured into turtlenecks and have been very satisfied by some basic Lands End Super T Turtlenecks in cotton. Spandex at the neck and cuffs, t-shirt weight, very comfortable. I may try merino wool turtlenecks though.

I'm not sure of the differences either, in my head a robe is anything cotton, wool, or something synthetic.

A gown of something silk.

However, I went back to the Derek Rose website where I bought my robe, and they call it a gown, so I have no idea and likely made up the differences.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lining a dressing gown is a double edge sword.

On the one hand, it protects you from the itchiness of wool, assuming you're sensitive to wool. On the other hand, a Bemberg lining will be slightly slithery, and cotton or silk linings will require regular cleaning. Those materials don't self-regulate odor like wool.

(edit: for some reason, Styleforum won't let me type s l i t h e r y)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lining a dressing gown is a double edge sword.

On the one hand, it protects you from the itchiness of wool, assuming you're sensitive to wool. On the other hand, a Bemberg lining will be slightly ****hery, and cotton or silk linings will require regular cleaning. Those materials don't self-regulate odor like wool.

(edit: for some reason, Styleforum won't let me type s l i t h e r y)
Bemberg sounds like the best option. Not the warmest, but it's a nice trade off from just being itchy. I've always enjoyed the feeling of it on bare skin.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I recently ventured into turtlenecks and have been very satisfied by some basic Lands End Super T Turtlenecks in cotton. Spandex at the neck and cuffs, t-shirt weight, very comfortable. I may try merino wool turtlenecks though.
I have a couple from Eredi Pisanò, more or less like yours, except it's 100% cotton and the sleeves cuffs are fairly tight; also the cotton feels very distinctively smooth, not sure if it's brushed or treated in some other way, but I like it. Very useful under jackets, not too much on its own as it's indeed too light for whenever you want a turtleneck.
I have a couple merino turtlenecks from Amazon Goodthreads actually, and I don't enjoy wearing them, even with merino they slightly irritate my skin on the neck, plus they are tighter than I'd like around the neck (weirdly, I have both an S and M, I can fit into both, and both have this problem) so it does feel like I'm being very weakly strangled, as the famous quote goes.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Sean O’Flynn made me a dressing gown in cashmerello ten years ago that I just retired. It was very nice but a little lightweight. Also used to have a Charvet cotton one.

At the moment I have gone back to RTW - a flannel one from Anglo-Italian and a linen one from A&S Both excellent.For winter I do like flannel with a minimal lining in the shoulders

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple from Eredi Pisanò, more or less like yours, except it's 100% cotton and the sleeves cuffs are fairly tight; also the cotton feels very distinctively smooth, not sure if it's brushed or treated in some other way, but I like it. Very useful under jackets, not too much on its own as it's indeed too light for whenever you want a turtleneck.
I have a couple merino turtlenecks from Amazon Goodthreads actually, and I don't enjoy wearing them, even with merino they slightly irritate my skin on the neck, plus they are tighter than I'd like around the neck (weirdly, I have both an S and M, I can fit into both, and both have this problem) so it does feel like I'm being very weakly strangled, as the famous quote goes.
Merino quality can vary quite a bit in my experience. It sounds like I should stay away and just stick to those smooth t-necks. I agree they're perfect for wearing under a jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads