• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best hair/face product? kiehls? aveda? malin? etc.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry gents, but the only moderately high-end stuff I use is my shaving soaps/creams, and even with those I keep it modest unless a killer deal pops up.

totally epic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I know I'll probably catch some **** for saying this, but I don't get all the "for men" lines and stuff. I've used baxters of Cali, and also jack black, and art of shaving. None of them seemed to work very well. Then, I forgot my stuff one weekend going to Lish's apartment and just used her regular girlie stuff. It worked much better for my skin, so since then I've just been buying the girlie facial stuff. Granted, it does feel a little weird to have the bottle sitting in my medicine cabinet that says "cleanser AND make-up remover in one" and another one that says "beauty fluid" but it works.
It's mostly the fragrance that makes the product "for men". I use odorless stuff.

brazboy

Reaction score
I've been using Dior Homme Émulsion Hydratante RÃ
00a9.png
paratrice and I must say I'm impressed. It delivers intense moisture, but leaves no shine at all. I have combination skin (shiny at the T zone) and it's the best anti-shine moisturizer I've ever tried (and I've tried all the major brands) but also delivers rich moisture to your skin.

I tried the DH exfoliant cleanser as well, it's pretty good, nothing special. I'd rather use a 2x a week exfoliant and a regular cleanser daily.

Have any of you guys tried the DH Serum (face serum, not the eye serum)? I'm looking for a feedback before buying it.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
I know I'll probably catch some **** for saying this, but I don't get all the "for men" lines and stuff. I've used baxters of Cali, and also jack black, and art of shaving. None of them seemed to work very well. Then, I forgot my stuff one weekend going to Lish's apartment and just used her regular girlie stuff. It worked much better for my skin, so since then I've just been buying the girlie facial stuff. Granted, it does feel a little weird to have the bottle sitting in my medicine cabinet that says "cleanser AND make-up remover in one" and another one that says "beauty fluid" but it works.
Flip side of this, a number of my female friends tell me the men's stuff is often repackaged women's product that sells far cheaper than theirs. I like Kiehl's face creams (last forever) and their astringents. I'm actually planning on buying some of their abyssine eye cream, too.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there no love in this forum for Neutrogena products? I've been using their stuff contentedly for years, but I must admit that I've never done any cross brand comparisons.

stvnr

Reaction score
I really like Aesop's products. It's really expensive compared to what I used before (Clean & Clear for face wash, Aveda for moisturizer) but I like it. I try to calculate how much it costs over the lifetime of the bottle and then it doesn't seem so bad.

liyon

Reaction score
Keep in mind, a lot with how well a product works depends on what kind of skin you have. Whether it's oily, dry, or combination-skin.

The majority of designer products aren't advertised with that in mind, so what might work great for one guy may not work at all for you. I've used several name brands in the past that had great packaging and style, but either didn't work or made things worse.

I have oily skin and it seems a lot of the designer brands cater more to dry-skinned people. I've been using a brand called Paula's Choice (yeah, not exactly designer stuff!) for the last several years. I use their exfoliate and anti-blemish cream. For ordinary face washing, I use a Neutragena soap bar for oily skin.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bumpin this thread, I just bought a travel kit of Malin and Goetz, has like 6 of their products, since I last posted this thread I have been using:
Cetaphil
Complex 15
Aveda Toner spray
and Bumble & Bumble creme shampoo/conditioner... figured its time to try something new.

Anyone tried any of the Malin products?

kruze

Reaction score
Creams for the face. nivea, vichy, la roche posay
For the hair - gatsby.

Fantastic Mr Foxx

Reaction score
Forgive me for my blunt ignorance but has any one of you tried the eucalyptus deodorant that Malin + Goetz has on the market? How is it in terms of smell, durability/effectiveness of protection against armpit odours, clog etc? What are the up - and downsides of this product?

BBRex

Reaction score
I have to say that Lush's coalface cleanser, lip service lip balm, and soak and float solid shampoo are all really great products. My wife has bought a bunch of their stuff, and I think the only real dud we've seen are the bath jellies. http://www.lushusa.com/shop/

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Is there no love in this forum for Neutrogena products? I've been using their stuff contentedly for years, but I must admit that I've never done any cross brand comparisons.

Used alot of there stuff with very no success, I switched to Kiehls and I've been happy with the results.

Herbal Shampoo
Amino Acid conditioner
Men'sl wash
Men's facial scrub
Men's herbal toner for normal-oily skin
Men's moisturizer
Men's under eye balm

jesask

Reaction score
I am pretty much bald and I cut what hair I have left pretty short. I do keep a pretty short beard though. Fancy hair care products really are a thing of the past for me.

I just use the regular drug store shampoo on my hair and beard and then use kiehls moisturizer/sunscreen on my face and exposed head. It seems to work pretty well.

Does anybody use anything different for their beard?

Isttan

Reaction score
I apologize for bump this old thread, but I would like to share my experience in this matter, since when I was looking for good advice on this topic for myself. My hair used to be super dry and brittle, and now it's very soft and moisturized and healthy, and the most important thing is using a Clarifying shampoo (I prefer the one by Paul Mitchel) about once a week to remove product build-up, chlorine and other impurities that dry out the hair. I started shampooing my scalp only (except for the time when I use the clarifying shampoo) and conditioning the rest of my hair. I LOVE the Live Clean Unscented moisturizer https://your-style-guide.com/best-hair-moisturizer... or Argan Oil Conditioner, those conditioners are completely natural and healthy, and they are super creamy and moisturizing. Plus they are really cheap. I leave the conditioner in for a few minutes and then rinse. The second most important step is applying about 2 palm fulls of avocado oil into my hair when it is wet or damp (I have long hair so only use as much as it takes to saturate your hair, but not make it too oily). The oil will absorb into the hair as it dries. It does not work when the hair is dry, only when the hair is wet or damp. I've tried all other oils, but avocado oil is the one that makes my hair the softest and moisturized out of all of them, plus I like using it for cooking, so I always have a huge bottle of it around.I like watching a video on YouTube on such topics, I'll leave you one of them here, I hope it will useful to someone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads