• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes the best dress shirts?

kcgreg

Reaction score
Who makes the best ready to wear dress shirts in the industry?
blush.gif
Just curious! Thanks in advance for the input.

coachvu

Reaction score
If you also consider price, I think Ike Behar shirts are great. I don't own one, but I've heard great things about Talbott shirts, as well.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charvet, maybe? I know that Alex Kabbaz, who knows infinitely more about such matters than I do, rates them highly. However, both Charvet and Kabbaz are out of the price range of a po' boy like me!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am very fond of Barba Gold Label for RTW in the sub 200 range on sale.

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
If you also consider price, I think Ike Behar shirts are great.

Respectfully, I disagree. Nice fabric, generally, but horrible fit--very tent like on me, and I'm no string bean.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really love my finamore shirt. But best is relative. I guy with a huge belly will hate Finamore but love something more generous like oxxford (?).

I really like Talbotts new Estate instock shirts at around $235.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so far, Barba, to me is the best dress shirt maker.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
so far, Barba, to me is the best dress shirt maker.

I would definitly say my Barba Gold Label exceed my Borrelli which exceed my finamore.
However, I do like alot of the finamore patterns. And they are all very suitable. I do like my Luciano Barbera also, lots of interesting shoulder styles.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People seem to like Anna Matuozzo.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The best RTW dress shirt is the one which fits you the best. Fabric, stitching, buttons, etc, matters for pretty much nothing if the shirt makes you look like a schmo. Also, I think that once you get above $200 for a dress shirt, it seems silly to go RTW.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
The best RTW dress shirt is the one which fits you the best. Fabric, stitching, buttons, etc, matters for pretty much nothing if the shirt makes you look like a schmo. Also, I think that once you get above $200 for a dress shirt, it seems silly to go RTW.

True to an extent, however the materials are the basis for all looks. You can have a perfect fitting HugoBoss materials/constructed and achieved nothing. Materials, construction, fit and style are all equally important.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123

0008-0408-0708-0736_SM.jpg

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're generally speaking in terms of RTW only, I think the general consensus is that Borrelli and Kiton shirts are the best.

If you take cost into consideration, I think that Carlo Franco shirts are seen as an excellent value. Also, it's pretty easy to find Borrelli shirts brand new on ebay or on the Virtual Clothes Horse site for about $110-160. Quite a savings from the $400-525 retail price.

Charvet shirts are also held in high regard, as is Barba, Finamore, etc. Though I have no personal experience with those brands.

Of course, you have to remember that fit should trump quality (assuming you can't have both), as a top of the line shirt (Kiton) that fits poorly will never look as good as a lower priced/quality (Hickey Freeman - not saying they are bad, just lower on the scale than Kiton) if it doesn't fit you well.

Also, know what details you like, and what you don't like.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Hilditch & Key yet for quality shirts. At full price, they aren't that bad, and can be had on sale quite regularly.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My stupid limited opinion, for what it's worth re: RTW shirts--(it's obviously heavily weighted towards a certain city in a certain country)

1. Anna Matuozzo
2. Attolini
2. Borrelli (from the boutique)
3. Kiton
4. Barba
5. Battistoni
6. T&A
7. H&K
8. Maffeis
9. Lorenzini

The only MTM shirt I've tried is Kiton, and of course while extremely pricey, it's an excellent shirt. Fray and Finnamore are also wonderful, but I haven't had enough experience with either to comment fully.

koji

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads