1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best belts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Lucky13

Lucky13 New Member

For causal/unique belts I highly recommend Narragansett Leathers. Handmade to your exact size, made in USA. Their color range and buckle choices are limited but I own 4 different basic belts from them and all of them are excellent. And for the price (starting around $45) they are hard to beat.

2. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Almost any American clothier will have these. Try checking out Paul Stuart, Brooks Brothers, J Press, O'Connell's, and The Andover Shop. Even Land's End and Orvis should have something.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  4. Equus Leather

Equus Leather Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That belt is I think made by Matin Fayze in the UK. Assuming Im right it will be well made using good leather and at a brief glance hand stitched but is being marked up hugely by someone in the chain. I dont know who resells their stuff but there will be others who do Im sure

Charlie

5. casemaker

casemaker Well-Known Member

Wow, pricy, need to start making belts :)

6. Equus Leather

I recon in this case theres an agent and then a retailer taking most of the profit. Shows how effective cutting the middle men out is!

Charlie

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'd like to interject here and say that in belts, as in all other things, "best" has no meaning unless you have clearly defined criteria, and what is "best" for you might not be "best" for the next person. I think that we can safely say that makers like Charlie at Equus make some fine belts, and Hermes belts are also impeccable, from what I've seen, and there are numerous English, French, and Italian makers who all do a fine job. And if you are looking for something very specific, it's possible that only one designer or one manufacturer makes it, and knows how to make it.

8. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Fok with the epistemological argument.

9. lovelux2010

lovelux2010 Senior member

thanks Charlie. the equus belts look great to me, i'll look to order one of those

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I just purchased a Farnese tubo belt from No Man Walks Alone

http://www.nomanwalksalone.com/inde...n-soft-calf-tubo-tubular-dress-belt-1362.html

The leather has a nice grain and is soft and flexible. The buckle is heavy and plated. The tubo shape is a distinctive feature. I say the quality and price are excellent and equal to well known shoe brand belts selling for much more. I am considering purchasing another one or two of them.

11. Bellemastiff

Bellemastiff Active Member

I have to give my AA+++ recommendation to Saddleback belts. Thing is, they are casual (go well with cords, jeans, chinos)--don't buy one if you need a dress belt.

If you want a beautiful and FUNCTIONAL casual belt though they are the best I have found for a few reasons:
    1. great looking/feeling leather.
    2. THICKNESS -- the weight and thickness helps my (mid rise, not low rise) chinos stay in place.
    3. FIT / belt hole intervals -- they are I think an inch apart (whereas normal interval is 1.5" apart) so you get a much better fit/tightness. (You don't have to decide between 'a tad too tight' and a 'tad too lose')

I have tried many belts over the years. 2nd favorite is the much more expensive Ferragamo (like them for their soft leather, though it stretches too much). Saddleback is my #1 favorite.

12. jjfad

jjfad Member

Can't go wrong with Filson bridle leather belts!

13. Riva

Riva Senior member

+1

I've been using my Equus for a while among the other fashion branded 20+ belts I got in the collection and decided to try out Narragansett. I ended up like them so much I ordered 5 for myself and 3 for my son. At around $48 each nothing out there would beat them especially considering they're real handmade high quality bridle leather that's very flexible yet definitely last longer than other belts. The quality I'd say is about 50% of Equus which is 2x the price. Both also provide some interesting buckles I haven't found anywhere else. Anyway Narragansett is definitely the hidden gem for belts which I think won't last long as Alan the owner is doing it in retirement.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  14. 63AMG

63AMG Senior member

Equus hands down for me. Artisanal quality, huge range of options, husband and wife team that loves what they do, reasonable prices, and spectacular customer service.

What else could you possibly want?

15. Takai

Takai Senior member

Personally my favorite belt that I own has to be my Col Littleton No.1. Very unique design, great craftsmanship, and a true lifetime guarantee. It also doesn't hurt that the company is located about an hour south of my house.

16. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  17. Riva

Riva Senior member

Plenty actually. I want more chrome buckle choices and more colors for the more flexible Baker leather! More patina choices other than oak brown for sure. Then the long waited watch straps.

18. Riva

Riva Senior member

Narragansett unique buckles:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Equus Leather

There are a few others that have and will continue to patinate

Bakers London Tan

Bakers Russet

There are also lots of watch straps here, if patina is your thing (it is mine) the Barenia and the Oak Brown are amazing leathers and probably make our best watch straps. I even made a test natural watch strap the other day as well

[​IMG]

:) - will continue to butt out of this thread now but thank you to all who have said nice things.....

Charlie