Who makes the best belts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Apr 7, 2011.

1. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

Who in your opinion makes the best belts? Based on research from past threads, I bought a few Martin Dingman belts. I thought they were nice, but nothing special.

I recently came across a belt maker coincidentally called the Belt Makers : http://www.thebeltmakers.com/index.html . The belts are a bit expensive, but look great. I was about to order a few different shades of brown till I read the notice that each belt could take up to 28 day to product and send out.

Do you have any alternate recommendations?

2. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

Not sure Belts even have enough difference to differentiate. Normally I just get the belt from the same place I got the shoes - preferably from the same leather so they match. Vox linked this site while ago, though I never used it myself. http://jrltd.com/belt_straps/

3. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

4. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

[​IMG] Would be interested in this and finding out some quality brands that dont appeal to the bourgeois chinese alpha males. No Hermes or Louis Vuitton recommendations please [​IMG]

6. PookieBear

PookieBear Member

I used to research this issue myself. I then discovered that, for your staples of brown and black, I was better off buying cheap belts from filenes, etc. They may wear quicker, but then I just get a new one.

7. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Exact match on shoes and belt is usually a bad idea.
    Lengthy discussion on the merits of buying good belts:
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...evolving+belts

Matchy matchy is fun until you buy your second pair of brown shoes.

8. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

[​IMG] Would be interested in this and finding out some quality brands that dont appeal to the bourgeois chinese alpha males. No Hermes or Louis Vuitton recommendations please [​IMG]
    In the old thread that Kobalto linked, Charlie from Equus Leather made a post that made me interested in their belts.

9. jackdaw

jackdaw Well-Known Member

I think Mezlan belts are good value and fairly well made. They have lots of ugly casual belts, but also some rather good ones. Prices drop to $65-80 after the first season or two of a design release. In the first season prices are around $100, made in Spain, their web site is messy and slow, also discounted at ShoeBuy.

http://www.mezlanshoes.com/store/cat...ARTMENT_ID=113

10. Navi

Navi Senior member

I think Mezlan belts are good value and fairly well made. They have lots of ugly casual belts, but some rather good ones. Prices drop to $65-80 after the first season or two of a design release. In the first season prices are around $100, made in Spain, their web site is messy and slow, also discounted at ShoeBuy.

people really spend 100 dollars on a belt??? wtf??

11. LatinStyleLover

LatinStyleLover Senior member

Erreghe, which was purchased by Brioni, makes some incredible belts. They are my favorite.

12. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Both of those labels offer plain leather belts comparable to anything else you can come up with.
    people really spend 100 dollars on a belt??? wtf??
    People really spend 100 dollars on a tie? People really spend 100 dollars on a pocket square? People really spend 100 dollars on cufflinks? People really spend 100 dollars on a dress shirt? People really spend 100 dollars on a pair of pants? [​IMG]

13. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Who in your opinion makes the best belts? Based on research from past threads, I bought a few Martin Dingman belts. I thought they were nice, but nothing special.

I recently came across a belt maker coincidentally called the Belt Makers : http://www.thebeltmakers.com/index.html . The belts are a bit expensive, but look great. I was about to order a few different shades of brown till I read the notice that each belt could take up to 28 day to product and send out.

Do you have any alternate recommendations?

I'm not sure Sedgewick makes different grades of English bridle leather. If not then Equus belts gives you the same Sedgewick leather at a fraction of the cost of a TBM belt.

Also, PSG posted a pic of his very nice Foster belt:

http://www.wsfoster.com/shop/Small+L...k7roglafn5ha93

14. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

I like Ralph Lauren and RRL vintage belts.

15. hatguy

hatguy Senior member

Mark Kielty as above.
    April in Paris.