• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Who makes tall (extra long) ties?

mljones99

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
I know Hermes does a few and I think Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren do as well but are there any other labels that do tall (extra long) ties?
 

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
1,071
Reaction score
0
Sam Hober will make it whatever length you want. I'm 6'4" and I really enjoy his work.
 

amemovox

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
96
Reaction score
0
My local Nordstrom Rack has an excellent selection of extra long ties. Never checked the brands; however, I assume XMI, Talbott as well as Nordstrom brand.

Perhaps if you have a Rack nearby, you can call and see if they have them. Good luck
 

mljones99

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by amemovox
My local Nordstrom Rack has an excellent selection of extra long ties. Never checked the brands; however, I assume XMI, Talbott as well as Nordstrom brand.

Perhaps if you have a Rack nearby, you can call and see if they have them. Good luck


No Rack but I'll check out the regular Nordstrom here one day when I have time and see what they have to offer.
 

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
6,500
Reaction score
84
You might also check a big & tall store like Rochester. I know Talbott has made for them.
 

Ahab

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
1,856
Reaction score
39
Originally Posted by magogian12345
Sam Hober will make it whatever length you want. I'm 6'4" and I really enjoy his work.
Will he? Will he make me a tie that is one billion miles long?



eBay has extra long ties. The Robert Talbott Best of Class are really nice.
 

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 5, 2010
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
135
Unless you are extremely tall and wear windsor knots, you don't need extra long ties. I don't own a single extra long tie, and all of my ties reach my belt when tied 4iH or half-Windsor and I'm 6'5".
 

ferry1950

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2004
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
I would disagree with Gladhands, as I am 6'5" and 220 lbs and can not wear a regular tie unless the skinny end is half way up the back. I need a tie that is at least 61" but prefer ones that are longer.
I want the tie to be resting at my belt buckle and the two ends to be nearly matched.
I have found Nordstroms xl ties to be a good length, and recently have discovered Tie Bars XL ties at $20 are a great bargin.
 

Hoofit

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
652
Reaction score
1,928
Originally Posted by ferry1950
I would disagree with Gladhands, as I am 6'5" and 220 lbs and can not wear a regular tie unless the skinny end is half way up the back. I need a tie that is at least 61" but prefer ones that are longer.
I want the tie to be resting at my belt buckle and the two ends to be nearly matched.
I have found Nordstroms xl ties to be a good length, and recently have discovered Tie Bars XL ties at $20 are a great bargin.


I agree with you. I am 6'7" and need at least a 63". Lands End also has some XL ties. I have had good luch with Brooks Bros & Talbott BOC.
 

mljones99

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2007
Messages
243
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by gladhands
Unless you are extremely tall and wear windsor knots, you don't need extra long ties. I don't own a single extra long tie, and all of my ties reach my belt when tied 4iH or half-Windsor and I'm 6'5".

Trust me, I need extra long ties.
 

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
3,140
Reaction score
194
Everyone does. Some may not be labeled as such; ask for them to measure the ties before you buy.
 

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
6,825
Reaction score
1,083
Apart from Hober, Turnbull and Asser will do it (sort of skinny OTR but will make bespoke). There's another maker that Drinkwater's in Cambridge has unearthed who will do bespoke. More English-looking than Talbott.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,526
Messages
9,451,132
Members
198,091
Latest member
mikerodetd
Top