1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Who makes slim fit polo shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dmax, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Hornswaggler

Hornswaggler Well-Known Member

I inadvertently discovered that boys' RL polos fit me better than the adult variety. A small custom fit was decent around the chest, but left 3-4 inches too much at the bottom. I tried on a boys' 12-14 in a thrift store, and found it was marginally more snug than an adult S in the chest, and the bottom actually looks good untucked. YMMV.

2. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Lands End Canvas has slim fitting polos on sale for like $8 + LE has a 30% or 40% with free shipping coupon code at least 2 or 3 times a month.

3. chet31

chet31 Senior member

Lands End Canvas has slim fitting polos on sale for like $8 + LE has a 30% or 40% with free shipping coupon code at least 2 or 3 times a month.

I agree, give LE a look. They call it "tailored" fit, but I don't recall seeing them for $8, usually more like $30-$40. If you don't like it, return it, they are among the easiest to deal with re: returns. They are mostly into solids, however.

4. forzagaribaldi

forzagaribaldi Member

As a few have mentioned, John Smedley are worth looking at depending on your budget. I grew up not too far from the factory so always had them on the cheap and last week got half a dozen at £30-40 each for this summer.

Sea Island cotton or Merino jersey. They are now offering slimmer fits.

If you look after them they last for years, very well put together and a lot of design variations...

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

i1m very sorry if I have misunderstood, but wouldn't a slim fit polo be smaller in the waist compared to the chest? After contacting Kent Wang, I understood that the chest and waist has the same width. Since I have no waistline at all and use alot of mye time in the gym, I need a polo which have a drop from chest to waist. LE, Kent Wang, J. Crew , etc. doesn't seem to offer this, and I feel TailorStore will be to much hit and miss with the fabric.

6. JCachot

JCachot Member

Another option is to have a made-to-measure / custom polo shirt made. I was recently
    in London as saw some lovely examples in the Archer Adams shop in Marylebone.

What was really interesting was that there were a lot of collar options for the polo (along
    with loads of colors). In other words, a polo with a proper shirt style collar looks much
    better under a jacket than the usual floppy ones on most brands. You can also choose
    many different pocket options, button options and contrasting fabric options.

I ended up ordering two polo shirts and can't wait to get them in three weeks!

7. Diversification

Diversification Well-Known Member

I find the above observation somewhat troubling. Although I'm by no means some muscle bound hulk, I would still prefer the option of a polo that displays the drop from my chest to my waist. Can anyone comment on Christian's post regarding the unavailability of such polos? In other words, is his assessment accurate?

8. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Aren't polos made with material that gives?

But the idea of "slim fit" is a bit of a strange one. What fits closely to me might not you. Try the damn thing on.

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My polos are already the slimmest on the market. I think you have to be drop 10" or greater (e.g. 38" chest with 28" waist) to justify having a smaller waist on your polo than the chest. A polo doesn't wear the same as a suit jacket. Just try it with a polo that you own, pin it down to the measurements you think it should be and then compare.

In any case, I also offer made-to-measure polos if my RTW sizes don't fit you perfectly.

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I will try the KW polos closer to summer. I have a 9-10" drop and the custom fit from PRL looks a little weird since I get a "skirt" on my back.

11. londonchris

londonchris Well-Known Member

Raf Simons. Usually no logo too.

12. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

13. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Right. Slim fit may still differ from one person to another. It's not a one size fits all.