• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who makes shoes for Harry Rosen?

Torontoguy

Reaction score
Harry Rosen has their house brand of shoes made in Italy. Any ideas who makes them? Has anyone had pair and if so any comments on quality?

Matt B

Reaction score
I bought a pair of the black captoes during their summer sale. I think the regular price is about 450 and I picked them up for 200. I quite like the shape and they have been comfortable so far. But I have only worn them a handful of times so I don't know about durability.

I asked the salesperson about who made them, but he had no idea. I think this is generally reflective of the knowledge level of HR's sales staff recently.

M

JeffsWood

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt B
I asked the salesperson about who made them, but he had no idea. I think this is generally reflective of the knowledge level of HR's sales staff recently.

M

+1 - lost five minutes of my life to explaining what I meant by "roped shoulders" to one of their lads today.

Matt B

Reaction score
Why do they follow you around like that, when it's clear that you are becoming annoyed? Surely they must pick up on the awkwardness? In the past, I have politely asked them to stop trying to start a conversation with me or offer me items that I'm not interested in.

Anyway, I'd still like to know who makes the shoes.

M

Torontoguy

Reaction score
I concur - I hate having the sales rep following me around too. Of course, at Holts I find that I can't get a sales guy to help so thats even more annoying.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would be surprised if they are made by a company of note at that price.

The Made in Italy label can be found on shoes at Banana Republic, Johnston and Murphy, J Crew, and other lower-priced stores. If they look nice and you are happy with what you paid, I wouldn't worry too much about durability. Are they goodyear welted?

I was at Harry Rosen in Ottawa about a month ago (in town on business) and found everything very over-priced; Hugo Boss shirts for $300! Didn't look at the shoes very closely.. Salespeople did have a tendency to follow me around a fair bit though, which I found very irritating. At one point, I stated very politely that the likelihood of me trying anything on and therefore, purchasing it, was very low if someone was standing 3 feet from me staring. He retreated after that, which was nice, and I bought a very nice Canali sportcoat.

Matt B

Reaction score
I admit I don't know much about shoe construction, but I feel that they are well-built for an anonymous Made In Italy shoe. There is definitely a feeling of quality that is above that of the brands you mention. I don't know if they are goodyear welted and am out of town for a month and did not bring that particular pair with me. I am happy for the price I paid.

M

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's the important thing..

I am sure they are of decent quality, but many assume that Made in Italy is immediately an assurance of the best. Its not, as I am sure you know. Enjoy your shoes, you probably got a pretty good bargain at that price.

R-H

Reaction score
I would try to find out who makes the Harry Rosen shoes before investing the money. If the quality is anything like their Harry Rosen branded shirts I would steer clear.

Also, I totally agree about their salespeople. You have to have a cloak of invisibility if you want to quietly browse their suit racks. I wouldn't mind the sale person following me around so much if it weren't for the CONSTANT banter.

Matt B

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
That's the important thing..

I am sure they are of decent quality, but many assume that Made in Italy is immediately an assurance of the best. Its not, as I am sure you know. Enjoy your shoes, you probably got a pretty good bargain at that price.

Prior to SF, I am sure I would have been blissfully happy.
tounge.gif

Now I just have to settle for pleased.

M

Toronto34

Reaction score
Any idea who makes these Harry rosen shoes?

Interested in a pair of double monks, and after further inspection of the shoes they seem too be decently made?

Any idea on the construction?

Thanks

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump.....anyone made any progress on this enigma?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who ever made the lowest bid this year?

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Who ever made the lowest bid this year?

Request for tender, that's usually how it works for outsourced apparel manufacturing.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually it's a well known company that also manufactures shoes under their own name. Unfortunately the name escapes me at the moment!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads